Windows 10: Personal Folder disappeared in desktop (NOT subfolders) in Windows 10

Discus and support Personal Folder disappeared in desktop (NOT subfolders) in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This morning my personal folder (my 'Eric' folder...my name is Eric...clever, no?) disappeared from my desktop. I've searched online all morning and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ericjmz, Jun 18, 2017.

1. ericjmz Win User

Personal Folder disappeared in desktop (NOT subfolders) in Windows 10

This morning my personal folder (my 'Eric' folder...my name is Eric...clever, no?) disappeared from my desktop.
    I've searched online all morning and all the advice's imparted are instructions to restore the SUBfolders to their default location (e.g.,documents, pictures, etc...)

That s not what I want; and they are all in their default locations anyhow

All I want is to restore the base folder Eric (or its shortcut icon actually) to my desktop.
    I've had this as a default on every windows system I've ever owned

Older windows systems had a properties tab to set the desktop icons...If I could find that I'd be golden, I'd just check to restore it

But I can't find that option anywhere

Anybody know how?

thanx

eric

:)

ericjmz, Jun 18, 2017

2. Following an online Windows 10 system update, the folders on my desktop disappeared.

Hi Gilbert,

There are different factors that can contribute to the issue you're facing that the folders on your desktop disappeared. This could be caused by the recent update or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• Which folders disappeared from your desktop, were these system folders or personal ones you created?
    • Using File Explorer, can you still search and locate if the folders are still in the computer?
    • Have you checked the recycle bin and checked if the folders got deleted?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jun 18, 2017
  3. Following an online Windows 10 system update, the folders on my desktop disappeared.

Thank you, Jordan. File Explorer indicated the folders were on the Desktop, although they did not show there when looking at the Desktop. I copied the folders while in File Explorer and pasted them to the Desktop. That worked.

Gilbert_Gia, Jun 18, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @ericjmz

It's in Settings > Personalisation > Themes. Scroll down and under 'Related settings' you'll find a 'desktop icons settings' link. Click that, then tick the 'user's files' box.

5. ericjmz Win User
    ..and THEre it is! Personal Folder disappeared in desktop (NOT subfolders) in Windows 10 :)

I thank you

eric

ericjmz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Personal Folder disappeared in desktop (NOT subfolders) in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Personal Folder disappeared

2. Folder Disappeared on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Disappeared on Desktop: Hello,I was putting some files into a folder on my desktop. Then, when I wanted to open that folder on desktop, it disappeared. I've tried to add a new file to another folder that I have created using an app and I got an error message, which I can't remember what that was at...
  3. Folder Disappeared on Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Disappeared on Desktop: Hello,I was putting some files into a folder on my desktop. Then, when I wanted to open that folder on desktop, it disappeared. I've tried to add a new file to another folder that I have created using an app and I got an error message, which I can't remember what that was at...
  4. folder disappeared on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    folder disappeared on my desktop: a folder with photographs disappeared on my notbook computer. need to recover folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-disappeared-on-my-desktop/122af06d-6a92-4454-b1b8-23364399c368
  5. Desktop files and folders disappeared?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop files and folders disappeared?: today i opened my laptop that has windows 11 and all files from desktop were disappeared, and also a update happened just before that and ive tried every guide to recover but i couldnt, does anyone know how can i get my files back?...
  6. Folders and Subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and Subfolders: Using windows explorer to organize photos by year and then subfolders for activities during that year I want to be able to see all folders and subfolders on the main windows explorer screen without having to click on the year folder to see what that year contains. Is that...
  7. Folder disappeared from Desktop - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder disappeared from Desktop - Windows 10: Using a PC, windows 10, version 10. All the sudden a folder that I was adding stuff in yesterday, is now gone. Not in my recycle bin, not in another folder, not hidden - gone. I have looked up a few things and followed those instructions - it is just not here. Sadly, I do not...
  8. second person on desktop computer has disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    second person on desktop computer has disappeared: My husband and I share a desktop computer. We each had a startup page, but only one shows up now, the other one is completely gone. Don't know how to get it back or what happened?...
  9. Personal OneDrive folder disappeared from Windows 10 Explorer

Personal OneDrive folder disappeared from Windows 10 Explorer: Hi I have two , separate, work Microsoft 365 accounts. I have a personal OneDrive account under my "hotmail" account. I keep work and personal related files separate on the different OneDrives. I used to be able to see and access all three OneDrives through Windows 10...
  10. Windows 10: user folder disappeared then desktop disappeared??

Windows 10: user folder disappeared then desktop disappeared??: First C:\user\proba000\ disappeared and while looking for it, my desktop icons disappeared. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-user-folder-disappeared-then-desktop/411e6144-564e-4f51-9d94-ae2c67818809"