Windows 10: Personal folders with One Drive on Windows 10

Discus and support Personal folders with One Drive on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have just upgraded to a new PC. Just before upgrading I went over to Office 365. Normally when I install on Windows 10 I with my user identity I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by grahamm7, Dec 5, 2019.

1. grahamm7 Win User

Personal folders with One Drive on Windows 10

I have just upgraded to a new PC. Just before upgrading I went over to Office 365. Normally when I install on Windows 10 I with my user identity I get a personal folders: C:\users\'me'\documents ... C:\users\'me'\pictures etc... However because I am using Office 365 with the associated One Drive I now find my folders are in C:\users\'me'\OneDrive\documents etc... This threw me. Especially as I use a 3rd party cloud that assumed my folders would be in or would make folders in c:\users\'me'\documents. Also I notice the folders in these One Drive folder have a green arrow by them. This I believe means they are backed up/mirrored on the One Drive cloud. Is this the way that Windows 10 with Office 365/One Drive normally is set up to work. Is there a technical note or book that explains this. I have purchased Essential Office 365 3rd Editionl But I haven't dug into it yet. Any advice/pointers would be very welcome so that I become more familiar with Office 365 and the use the One Drive (cloud) et.c.

:)

grahamm7, Dec 5, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 5, 2019
  3. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. Personal folders with One Drive on Windows 10 :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Delta6326, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Personal folders with One Drive on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Personal folders Drive

2. One Drive Personal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Personal: I have files that I cannot access because they are in my One Drive Personal folder which is not connected. I have gone to all the chats to reconnect my One Drive to my file folder but it is not helping. Please help me...
  3. One Drive Personal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive Personal: I have files that I cannot access because they are in my One Drive Personal folder which is not connected. I have gone to all the chats to reconnect my One Drive to my file folder but it is not helping. Please help me...
  4. One Drive Personal

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. locked out of one drive personal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    locked out of one drive personal: Over the last couple of days I have been locked out of one-drive personal . when attempting to access I receive the message error 0x8004dc.86 . I have followed the information supplied by microsoft , but as I am locked out , cannot reset my password in order to sync all parts...
  6. locked out of one drive personal

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    locked out of one drive personal: Over the last couple of days I have been locked out of one-drive personal . when attempting to access I receive the message error 0x8004dc.86 . I have followed the information supplied by microsoft , but as I am locked out , cannot reset my password in order to sync all parts...
  7. One drive automatic upload used to upload to a personal folder within one drive, now with...

One drive automatic upload used to upload to a personal folder within one drive, now with...: How can i target in which folder do my automatic uploads go? They used to be in a folder under images within one drive, now it goes somewhere completely different. Any suggestions, i cant find any thread to help...
  8. Personal Vault (One Drive)

Personal Vault (One Drive): I must get my laptop serviced. For security, I copied all files to Personal Vault and deleted them on my laptop. But as PV is visible in File Explorer, a 3rd party will be able to see all file and doc names. Acrobat files do not open unless I sign in to PV, but Excel and Word...
  9. One Drive Personal Premium

One Drive Personal Premium: If I buy the OneDrive Premium am I getting an upgrade for Windows or for Office365? I already have OneDrive Business but reading the features of OneDrive Premium it sounds like it has the ones I want and those same features are not part of Business OneDrive which sounds a...
  10. SSD drive and personal folders

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD drive and personal folders: Does anyone know what caused the recent problems with 1809 where people were losing their personal files in the Documents folder after the 1809 update? Ive read the advice where you right click on the Documents Folder and select properties/location and change the destination...