Windows 10: Personal settings, desktop shortcuts and folder icon missing,automatic update when i didn't...

Discus and support Personal settings, desktop shortcuts and folder icon missing,automatic update when i didn't... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi team, Without any notification, my desktop display and all old settings changed automatically. Then i checked in windows update but its already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by basantg, Dec 23, 2020.

1. basantg Win User

Personal settings, desktop shortcuts and folder icon missing,automatic update when i didn't...

Hi team,

Without any notification, my desktop display and all old settings changed automatically.

Then i checked in windows update but its already off.

I had arranged all things as per suitability , so that i can find it in easy way. i don't need this feature.

unnecessary its updated and spoiled my 2-3 days.

i want my old screen, How can i get it back???????????

Please suggest a way or procedure.

os-windows10

Regards

Basant

:)

basantg, Dec 23, 2020

2. Desktop shortcuts

"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome_proxy.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=ipaeeilaeibgpiddhlkpcepjhpmaejma
    I looked at the string in that shortcut “ipaeeilaeibgpiddhlkpcepjhpmaejma” and found it in 2 locations as listed below. This is from a working shortcut.
    C:\Users\Wil\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
    C:\Users\Wil\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Applications
    I deleted both but that didn’t make any difference to the working icon and shortcut I had on my desktop.
    I did however save my user account to a slave drive and I copied all the entries that were in those 2 folders to my new install and it didn’t bring back my shortcuts but it did replace all the generic icons on my desktop with the proper ones so I was bold and selected the Users\Wil\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome folder from my backup and dumped it into my user account and now the icons that had the shortcut missing still have the proper icon of the website they pointed to but when I click on the icon I don’t even get an empty chrome page. Funny thing that when I hover over such an icon the alt text from that site does show up which it didn’t before.
    So I am pretty much at a loss what to try next LOL

Windsurfer, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Personal settings, desktop shortcuts and folder icon missing,automatic update when i didn't...

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

Personal settings, desktop shortcuts and folder icon missing,automatic update when i didn't...

1. Personal settings, desktop shortcuts and folder icon missing,automatic update when i didn't... - Similar Threads - Personal settings desktop

2. Desktop Icons Missing From Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Missing From Desktop Folder: I was just starting to back up my C-drive important files in Windows 10 when I realized that there are several desktop folders, including a OneDrive folder, and all of them are missing several desktop icons. I have read read different threads on this subject and tried a...
  3. Cloned (D:) is missing desktop icons, shortcuts

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned (D:) is missing desktop icons, shortcuts: I have 2 disks on laptop (Windows 10 Home, Single user): Disk 0 Windows (C:) eMMC 32Gb Disk 1 Storage (D:) Sandisk SSD 120Gb - Windows (C:) is having OS - Storage (D:) All of the User Libraries (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures etc) and desktop are stored here. I have...
  4. Some missing desktop icons and folders

Some missing desktop icons and folders: I had a shock a few days ago when I switched on my PC Windows 10 +all updates and booted up to the desktop. Instead of the usual 10 or so Icons, there were only 5 Icons. Even worse, when I started Windows Explorer, I found that My Documents was completely empty. Not a single...
  5. Automatic Shortcuts on Desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatic Shortcuts on Desktop?: I currently have 4 devices that I use daily. My iPhone, my iPad, my MacBook, and my Windows PC. Notice the outlier? Because of this, I pay for the 2tb iCloud Drive which I use a lot. The convenience of this is that I can save a file on the desktop of my MacBook and it will...
  6. Changing Windows Folder Icons - Personalized didn't transfer to Windows 10 when upgraded...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Windows Folder Icons - Personalized didn't transfer to Windows 10 when upgraded...: Hello I am computer literate but not advanced. I have a windows 7 computer and I back up all my photos and videos to 3 external hard drives. So that I know i have triple backed them up I change the folder of photos say "Superbowl 2020" from the regular folder to a icon...
  7. Shortcut icons missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut icons missing: I am using several Adobe CS6 and Creative Cloud programs. When I open files which are in the OneDrive folder they remain under the "sync pending" status, even if they are actually synced in File Explorer. This causes a problem for me as when I run Adobe Illustrator (for...
  8. Shortcut icons missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut icons missing: Hello, I installed programs on my new laptop, but the shortcut icons in the programs folder disappeared. Any way to make them display again? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-icons-missing/35176d3a-b8eb-43f6-983b-c84276317fc6"
  9. desktop icons folders missing

desktop icons folders missing: I accidently pushed something all my icons on desktop are not visible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-folders-missing/527a04e5-6679-4ef3-9c15-69ae680eed23
  10. White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons: [img] It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to make them look good and distinguish between them. After an upgrade they displayed white overlays which add nothing to their...