Windows 10: Personal vault is missing from file explorer

Discus and support Personal vault is missing from file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I recently switched to a new computer. I am using OneDrive on another drive rather than my C: drive. Since the switch I have successfully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by monillusion, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Personal vault is missing from file explorer

Hello,

I recently switched to a new computer. I am using OneDrive on another drive rather than my C: drive. Since the switch I have successfully synced all information between OneDrive online and the drive itself. Everything seems to be working fine.

However, unlike my previous computer, my Personal Vault is not on the list of folders in the OneDrive file tree. As well, "Unlock Personal Vault" is not an option when right clicking the taskbar OneDrive icon.

In the past I could click "Unlock Personal Vault" and easily access my vault in the OneDrive file tree in file explorer. But now, it is simply not there. There is no option.

Thankfully my personal vault is still accessible via the Windows Store OneDrive app and iOS apps. I am using OneDrive premium as part of the Office 365 subscription.

Any ideas? Thank you.

:)

monillusion, Jun 23, 2020

2. Personal Vault Will Not Unlock

I received the following error: "Something went wrong with your Personal Vault" and goes on to say "Your personal vault is locked. To access your personal vault please unlock it again." The related code is 0x80316003. I recently installed the Windows 10
    home build 1903 a few days ago and enabled the personal vault feature the same day.

Note, I can access Personal Vault via the browser interface but NOT via file explorer.

Mudcatgrant309, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Personal Vault

Hi AirGumby1944,

My name is Marc, thanks for participating in the Microsoft Community, I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

You can try the following, these indications solved the problem with this same error code 0x8031b003 to other users.

1.- Move all the data in the personal vault to a new folder. In OneDrive online with the browser of your choice.

2. In OneDrive online, you deactivate the personal vault >> Personal vault settings >> Menu >> Personal vault options. Two warnings appear.

3. In the Explorer, you remove all the remains of the personal vault. There must be a link in the personal vault and a personal vault folder that stopped working.

4. Finally, you enable the personal vault, online in the browser.

When you open the personal vault locally, all data must be there.

Let me know if you have something else that I can help you with, I'd be happy to help.

Have a nice day

Regards,

Marc M.

MarcMorelli56, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Personal vault is missing from file explorer

OneDrive Personal Vault cannot be unlocked on Windows10.

I was able to get rid of the Red X on my OneDrive icon and the error message saying that the Personal Vault could not be synchronized by doing the following:

1. Access the personal vault OnLine via the the View OnLine option from the desktop icon in the task bar.
    2. Open the vault via the Web Browser and select all the files and folders in the vault.
    3. Count all the files and folders presently in the Personal Vault.
    4. Move all the files and folders out of the Personal Vault to another folder in your OneDrive.
    5. Refresh and verify the Personal Vault is empty.
    6. Verify all your important files have been successfully moved by verifying the folder and file count.
    7. Disable the Personal Vault online via the Web browser.
    8. Select the Personal Vault and attempt to delete it. A message "Cant delete Personal Vault' appears.
    9. Click on 'Go to settings'.
    10. Select the options to Disable the Personal Vault <Select Disable>. and "Disable" when asked are you sure. [NOTE: when you do this, any contents in the vault are irretrievably lost. So make sure it is empty first.]
    11. Wait 30-60 seconds for your OneDrive desktop to synch.
    12. Go back to the browser and select Enable on the Persona Vault window if it is still opened.
    13. If you closed the window, select Settings in the upper right of online OneDrive (to the left of the question mark), select options, select Personal Vault from the left side menu, then select Enable.
    14. A pop-up stating, "Your Personal Vault is back". Select 'got it'.
    15. Click on OneDrive in the upper left corner of the browser screen.
    16. Find your Personal Vault in your file/folder list.
    17. Open it (you will have to authenticate to open).
    18. Inspect the vault. It should be empty. In some cases there will be old "uncached" files that appears. It was the failed synching that caused the Red X. Reestablishing the Personal Vault allows the synch to proceed. Be careful as these files might not
      contain the most contemporaneous data.
    19. You should now be able to use the Personal Vault as before without the Red X. You can move the files you moved out of the Personal Vault back into the Personal Vault - - begin careful to decide which version to keep of any duplicate files.

SteveGhera, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Personal vault is missing from file explorer

1. Personal vault is missing from file explorer - Similar Threads - Personal vault missing

2. OneDrive - Personal Vault Files and folders missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive - Personal Vault Files and folders missing: HiHoping someone can help. I have various folders and files that are on my PC but not on the cloud. Some are there, but majority missing.How do I ensure that all files and folders from machine are uploaded to the cloud for Personal Vault?ThanksPS - looks like the last time...
  3. OneDrive - Personal Vault Files and folders missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - Personal Vault Files and folders missing: HiHoping someone can help. I have various folders and files that are on my PC but not on the cloud. Some are there, but majority missing.How do I ensure that all files and folders from machine are uploaded to the cloud for Personal Vault?ThanksPS - looks like the last time...
  4. OneDrive - Personal Vault Files and folders missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive Personal Vault icon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Personal Vault icon in File Explorer: HiAny idea why the Personal Vault icon in File Explorer is not using the correct icon. If the shortcut is deleted then the icon reappears and its correct, but over time it seems to reset and show the incorrect icon again., Windows has all the latest updates installed, and...
  6. OneDrive Personal Vault icon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Personal Vault icon in File Explorer: HiAny idea why the Personal Vault icon in File Explorer is not using the correct icon. If the shortcut is deleted then the icon reappears and its correct, but over time it seems to reset and show the incorrect icon again., Windows has all the latest updates installed, and...
  7. Onedrive Personal vault files open from explorer's recent files

Onedrive Personal vault files open from explorer's recent files: I have recently noticed that recently opend files from the onedrive personal vault can be opened from explorer recent files, despite the vault being locked. I my opinion that does not seem like a secure functionality Any explanation?...
  8. Windows OneDrive Personal Vault Missing from Laptop

Windows OneDrive Personal Vault Missing from Laptop: I had to carry out a System Restore and ever since my Windows OneDrive Personal Vault has disappeared from my folder on my laptop. i can see it when accessing my OneDrive via my internet browser, but i don’t like this way. Can anyone advise how i can get the Personal Vault...
  9. Missing OneDrive Personal Vault in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing OneDrive Personal Vault in File Explorer: Missing OneDrive Personal Vault in File Explorer. Exists in OneDrive Online. - - - Updated - - - Problem solved. I reset OneDrive. 162370
  10. Can't find Personal Vault in File Explorer

Can't find Personal Vault in File Explorer: Hey guys, For those of you who have set up your Personal Vault in OneDrive, does the "Personal Vault" folder show up in Windows File Explorer under the OneDrive folder? It doesn't for me, which seems strange. The features of the Personal Vault seems to work fine, e.g. by...