Windows 10: Personalization in Win10 mode different than in Win7 mode

Discus and support Personalization in Win10 mode different than in Win7 mode in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm not sure why the screen shot ended up so small, but it's easy enough to replicate that this should suffice. Can anyone explain why selecting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by XavierLH, Mar 11, 2016.

1. XavierLH Win User

Personalization in Win10 mode different than in Win7 mode

I'm not sure why the screen shot ended up so small, but it's easy enough to replicate that this should suffice.

Can anyone explain why selecting Personalization in Win10 mode (right-click on desktop -> Personalize) presents different options (left side of the screen shots - Options: Background, Colors, Lock screen, Themes, Start) than selecting personalization in Win 7 mode (Start -> Control Panel -> Display -> Personalization) which presents the following options: Themes, Color, Sounds, Screen Saver?

What does Sounds have to do with display in the Win7 mode - I can understand why this was moved elsewhere. But why is Screen Saver gone in Win10 mode (and BTW, you cannot get to personnalization in Win10 by Settings -> Display - not even under advanced Display Settings; it has been separated in its own section even though it's entirely related to Display - makes you wonder if anyone is just randomizing stuff up in Redmond...)

Oh, I did find the Screen Saver settings in Win10 mode, at the bottom of the Personalize screen, below the fold :-(

Just a simple request: if it's not broken, please don't fix it! There's plenty that can be improved, just don't yank things around for the fun of it...

Personalization in Win10 mode different than in Win7 mode [​IMG]

:)

XavierLH, Mar 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 & Steam Gaming - most games broke

The only other thing I can think of is to create a shortcut to the game executable and try it in Win7 compatibility mode and also run as admin. That's even if Win10 has compatibility mode. Win8.1 does so I'm betting Win10 does. This would be similar to
    WinXP apps having trouble running in Win7 without compatibility mode enabled.

RabbiddogRH1, Mar 11, 2016
  3. garynec Win User
    cannot return to normal startup in MSCONFIG after running it in diagnostic startup.

I configured my Win10 Home system to start up in diagnostic mode using MSCONFIG. It came up ok in diagnostic mode.

However I tried to reconfigure it for a normal startup using MSCOFIG but no matter what I try it will only come up in diagnostic mode.

Any system function such as scan disk, go to task manager, try to restore to previous restore point and even obtaining system status hangs up in a busy mode or will not open the app.

I removed the HDD and scanned it for errors and viruses on another Win10 Pro system and no errors or virus was found.

Reason for my running in diagnostic mode was to verify this would function same as windows 7 but it appears not. I had talked another person into doing this to clear a hung process. They experienced same problem of not being able to get out of diagnostic
    mode.

Both pc's were HP notebooks and were previous Win7 to Win10 upgrades provided by Microsoft. The system I used to scan the notebook HDD is a HP desktop which was converted from Win7 Pro to Win10 PRO

Anyone seen this before?

garynec, Mar 11, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

You may want to talk to the developers. They will know better why a new OS is different than an old OS. We could just make a guess.

5. I believe what has happened is on one hand we have the new settings in a metro app, and the old settings in the control panel.

Eventually I think what Microsoft is doing is moving settings from the control panel into the new settings app.
    This will take a while though because, themes for example have a GUI that is a application (win32) and is not a metro app.

Also the sounds are part of a customization scheme. For example if you download the Angry Birds theme, the sounds will change to birds squawking.

I do really dislike the fact there is two separate settings and what I think they should do is somehow imbed the GUI for themes into the settings metro app so everything is in one place. Until they convert the theme settings to a metro GUI.

Hope that this answers your question, somewhat*Smile

ellellell1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Personalization in Win10 mode different than in Win7 mode - Similar Threads - Personalization Win10 mode

2. Microphone Mode - Personal or Conference

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone Mode - Personal or Conference: Windows 11When I join a meeting WebEx, Zoom, Teams, whatever, a window pops up at the lower-right giving me the option of selecting Personal or Conference mode for my microphone.What does this mean? Is there a documented explanation? There seems to be nothing within Windows...
  3. Microphone Mode - Personal or Conference

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone Mode - Personal or Conference: Windows 11When I join a meeting WebEx, Zoom, Teams, whatever, a window pops up at the lower-right giving me the option of selecting Personal or Conference mode for my microphone.What does this mean? Is there a documented explanation? There seems to be nothing within Windows...
  4. Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep?: Bottom line up front, my computer produces differentresults in sleep mode, depending on if I initiate putting the system to sleepversus following the configured power plan. 1 When I manually put the computer to sleep Start >Power > Sleep, I can observe that my display shuts...
  5. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  6. Different mode on separate display (One desktop mode, another tablet mode)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different mode on separate display (One desktop mode, another tablet mode): Is it possible to have one display with desktop mode and the second display with tablet mode? I just upgraded my laptop to Asus Zenbook Duo, which have 2 displays in one device. However, the primary bigger display doesn't have touch screen, whereas the secondary display is...
  7. Separating work and personal modes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Separating work and personal modes: Working from home and juggling a work machine, personal, etc. has me wondering how to better consolidate for efficiency. IT is OKish with me using my personal machine for work. OKish being "I can't stop you but if you do then do x,y,z." All that's fine, but I'm curious how to...
  8. what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode: what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-tablet-mode-and/8c87c268-ef51-40ab-a143-66b0da01d2de
  9. Power mode win10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power mode win10: I have three computers that run win10 1903 but only one shows the power mode option in power settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-mode-win10/9fbe590f-8311-45d6-a246-1c93eedcea85
  10. COD Ghost runs smoother in Win7 than Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COD Ghost runs smoother in Win7 than Win10: You can move this thread to where it belongs. I know this is best posted in a Gaming Forum but I thought it might elicit some thoughts here as well. I haven't played COD Ghost for a couple of years but since I upgraded to my FX-8350 I thought I'd give it a try and in...