Windows 10: Personalized Settings is stuck

Discus and support Personalized Settings is stuck in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just ran Windows Update and all seemed well, I rebooted as usual but when I logged in again i just have a black screen with a small white window that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by philnolan3d, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Personalized Settings is stuck

I just ran Windows Update and all seemed well, I rebooted as usual but when I logged in again i just have a black screen with a small white window that says "Personalized Settings (Not Responding)". If I Ctrl+Alt+Delete I can get the Task Manager up and it says Windows Explorer is not responding. So I shut that down and the box goes away. That's all. I can Run New Task and open Explorer but then I just get the box again. Anyone seen this? I saw a few mentions on Google but nothing that helped.

:)

philnolan3d, Sep 2, 2015

2. Personalized Settings stuck

Hello . I'm Greg, an 8 year Microsoft Windows MVP, here to help you.

1) Please work through this Checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs are done:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

2) If any steps cannot be performed then try whichever method works to enter Safe Mode with Networking which may work better to perform the steps:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984712/windows/...

3) If no Safe Mode, from the Advanced Startup Options use the Command Prompt at boot to run the Repair Commands in the Checklist:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc...

3) If nothing else works then you can reinstall Windows while keeping your files, programs and most settings by running a Repair Upgrade. Install the Media Creation Tool from this link, choose Upgrade Now, follow the prompts:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...
    . If this doesn't help, do it over and choose to Save Nothing, which comes close to a Clean Install but doesn't clear the hard drive to get it cleanest.

The Repair Upgrade in Step 3 will also update you to the latest Fall Creators Version 1709 (which you need anyway) f you don't yet have it, and by the most stable method.

4) Or you can create the bootable media to do the gold standard Clean Install in this link, which compiles the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

5) There is also an automated Refresh which reinstalls Windows while leaving out the factory bloatware that throttles Windows and causes endless issues, lets you save your files.

https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-easily-...

Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 2, 2015
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Personalized Settings stuck

This maybe an issue with a system file being corrupt.

You can try a couple things.

Right click your start button and select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.

Restart the computer.

If that doesn't work then try this,

Right click your start button and select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands.

Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Important: When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions.

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Restart your computer.

SarahKong, Sep 2, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Personalized Settings is stuck

CountMike, Sep 2, 2015
  5. I had the same problem and running sfe.exe/scannow in command ptompt as administrator fixed it.

nmurugesan, May 8, 2017
  6. equoox Win User
    I had this happen today on the restart after a cumulative update had installed. I pressed the Esc ​key and that got things working normally again.

equoox, Mar 15, 2018
  7. I have two suggestions to try. One link I saw said it was caused by trying to connect to wireless and failing after an update. The fix was to switch on flight mode and then turn it off again..connect back up to wireless. Apparently that can clear the problem.
    The other suggestion is to press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and sign out. Then simply sign back in and that can sort out the problem too.
    I had a weird problem the other day too regarding a cumulative Windows Update. After the Update when I tried to shut down my laptop it said a restart was required. After the restart it was still the same..restart required message on the shutdown screen...even after 4 attempts. So I went into Windows Update itself and it said restart needed. I restarted from there..problem solved..weird!! Personalized Settings is stuck :)

sportsfan148, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Personalized Settings is stuck

1. Personalized Settings is stuck - Similar Threads - Personalized Settings stuck

2. Win Server Stuck at Applying Personalized Settings for: Applying enhanced security...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win Server Stuck at Applying Personalized Settings for: Applying enhanced security...: Hi,I have 2 win server 2019 and both of them after entering username and password gets stuck at "Applying Personalized Settings for: Applying enhanced security Configuration".desktop is black and small window is there with the above message, Whereas i can open task manager...
  3. Personalized Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personalized Settings: During 2 recent updates, within a week, MS changed the font type & size in my File Explorer and Start Menu and I find this very upsetting and infuriating. Is there a place where these two setting are kept so I can copy and save them to recover my choice? From Windows 8.1...
  4. Personalization setting issue

Personalization setting issue: I am not able to open personalization settings from my Desktop Right click option. And if I do so, its showing error of "This file does not have app associated with it for performing this action ." Kindly share resolution if any....
  5. Personalization Settings

Personalization Settings: How do I reset my personalization settings to default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/personalization-settings/3b0690d0-f227-48b4-9e6a-e7a70ff88bc9
  6. Personalized settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Personalized settings: After almost every automatic update, when restarting my PC I will get this error message and the screen goes blank. "personalized settings(not responding)". What's going on?...
  7. Windows update stuck on personalized setting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update stuck on personalized setting: I ran a windows updated the other day, now the computer is stuck on personalized settings screen. I've seen other chats about running task manager to end the program or delete the corrupted file, but task manager is not opening. Any other suggestions other than changing...
  8. Missing Settings in Personalization

Missing Settings in Personalization: I'm trying to scroll some photos as my screen background. However, I'm missing the settings to do this in the Personalization settings in Windows 10. How do I show them? I only see Fonts and Taskbar, why? [ATTACH]...
  9. Freezing Personalization settings

Freezing Personalization settings: Is there a way to make one's screen settings the default? I want my backgrounds to 'fill' the screen but every restart and many desktop returns from games that change screen resolution revert to the default settings of 'center' which for my 'screen themes' backgrounds do not...
  10. Stuck Setting up personalized settings for Web Platform Customization

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck Setting up personalized settings for Web Platform Customization: In the installation, after the 'Getting things ready' and 'Hi' and logging on pages, it didn't show a desktop, just a not responding window that is saying 'Setting up personalized settings for Web Platform Customization' How can I fix that? By the way, my PC isn't connected...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 stuck on personalized settings after 1809