Windows 10: Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move?

Discus and support Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Computerworld - GREGG KEIZER It's a low rumble here, there, like a thunderstorm barely heard because it's so far over the horizon that only the cloud... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jan 27, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move?

More to this story.

labeeman, Jan 27, 2014
  2. fireberd Win User

For my Recording Studio application, Win 8.1 works equally well as Win 7. I recently had to send the Windows 7 motherboard in for warranty repair. I set up my back up system which has Win 8.1 64 bit for Recoding. I have Start8 installed so it boots directly to the desktop and absolutely no difference. All my hardware installed without problems. However I did have to install one older device in a Vista Compatibility mode.

But going back to Microsoft's more or less record of hits and misses on Operating Systems, Win 98SE was good, Windows ME was not, Win XP was, Vista was not, Windows 7 was good, Win 8 for many is not good, so Win 9 should be a "good" OS.

:)

fireberd, Jan 27, 2014
  3. Varnold Win User
    Palm Pre Compatibility with Laptop & Vista

I presume that the various synch tools available from Microsoft for cell phones are looking for a cell phone running the Msoft mobile software - a dumb user question but starting at ground zero here. Am using a 3rd party synch tool that seems fine but wondered
    what the landscape is like for the Pre from the perspective of Microsoft. I am running the latest 32b version of Vista and IE8.

Varnold, Jan 27, 2014
  4. RKrollB52 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade

I reserved windows 10 upgrade. I am using windows vista. I found the instructions for what happens next confusing. Will I be ignored because I don't have windows 7 or 8 installed? Must I buy 7 or 8 before I can upgrade? I could find no download for vista
    to 10. Knowledgeable advise is most welcome.

Frustrated 1

RKrollB52, Jan 27, 2014
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Another wow Microsoft really screwed this one up again. . .can't people just get over themselves. . .*Confused

6. Atomic77 Win User
    I'm sorry for braking this open I know its a old thread but I just had something to say. Why would anyone say any of those were a bad os? When I had them they were pretty good or at least I think so.

Atomic77, Jan 1, 2016
  7. Clintlgm Win User
    Well I found window 95 was a nightmare in the beginning, ME was a nightmare I put in on one computer and took it off in a week. For me the first really good Windows was 2000. it took quite a bit to get me to upgrade to XP and again to Windows 7, I had one notebook with Vista it wasn't so bad. Windows 8 I didn't try 8.1 I have and find it good as 7 and 2000. Following the 8 forum by the time I moved any computer to 8.1 I knew about Classic Shell and how to set up with a Local Account instead of the Microsoft account. So I find 8.1 as good as any MS OS, I have moved one Desktop to 10 Pro and will move my main business computer to 10 Pro soon. I don't like some of the 10 features Updates for one and having to continually check my hardware drivers as the MS ones cause problems for me. Seems MS just wants us to use there generic ones and keeps installing them with updates.
    I don't think 8 or 8.1 were 95 or ME or Vista at all. Once you learned to get around all the Metro crap and one drive and other cloud stuff its as good as any versions were.

Clintlgm, Jan 2, 2016
  8. Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move?

lehnerus2000, Jan 2, 2016
  9. Vista was the first good Windows in my opinion and experience. Too bad that the hardware at the time wasn't up to snuff.

z31fanatic, Jan 4, 2016
  10. Clintlgm Win User
    Hmm, I guess you weren't around for earlier version windows 2000 was as monumental as SSD are today.

Clintlgm, Jan 4, 2016
  11. Ghost82 Win User
    Agree with you. Vista was not THAT bad. The problem was the amount of requirements, or the lack of them on the computers those days. I got a Packard Bell with Vista back in 2010, I think, and it was good. I got the 7 update quickly too -because all the upgrade promo back in the day-. But Vista was fine at that moment. Of course, 7 ended up being much better.

Just for the record: that computer is still alive, and upgraded to 10, having been running 8 and 8.1 too.

Ghost82, Jan 4, 2016
  12. 98 was my first Windows, then XP, and then Vista. 98 was pretty terrible, XP not much better and I still don't understand how some people don't seem to move on from it.
    I don't remember ever having a crash or BSOD in Vista or later Windows.

z31fanatic, Jan 5, 2016
  13. Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move?

Arguably XP has been MS' most successful OS.
    Even ~15 years after its release, it still has as many users as W8.1 and W10 (~10%).

I first installed XP SP1 in 2004.
    I did have some problems with malware, but nothing like W98SE's malware problems.
    After I stopped using IE6 and swapped to FF (in 2006) the malware problems went away.
    I swapped to W7 in January 2010.

I still have XP installed on another PC, so that I can use Windows Live Photo Gallery.
    I also have an XP VM for my old games, because a lot of them don't like newer versions of Windows.

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move? - Similar Threads - Perspective Vista what's

2. System corruption, what's the next best move?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System corruption, what's the next best move?: So here's the story. I was installing some new programs and I noticed that my storage suddenly filled up crazy right? but not in a way that I calculated. I installed something that should've been maybe 10-20Gb max and not immediately- but only a few hours later did I notice...
  3. System corruption, what's the next best move?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System corruption, what's the next best move?: So here's the story. I was installing some new programs and I noticed that my storage suddenly filled up crazy right? but not in a way that I calculated. I installed something that should've been maybe 10-20Gb max and not immediately- but only a few hours later did I notice...
  4. System corruption, what's the next best move?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Vista Key on Windows 8, 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista Key on Windows 8, 10: Does the Vista product key work on Windows 8 or 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-vista-key-on-windows-8-10/2ec28c77-5051-4217-b99b-e68515822c60
  6. Windows Vista Key on Windows 8, 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Vista Key on Windows 8, 10: Does the Vista product key work on Windows 8 or 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-vista-key-on-windows-8-10/2ec28c77-5051-4217-b99b-e68515822c60
  7. What’s next for Microsoft’s Windows 10 in 2020

in Windows 10 News
    What’s next for Microsoft’s Windows 10 in 2020: The next two Windows 10 updates, codenamed ’20H1′ and ’20H2′ reflect Microsoft’s new approach to split the major feature releases into two. The first update ’20H1′ would be a full-fledged update with new features, and the second update of the year will only contain...
  8. What is new and what is next for Microsoft search at Microsoft Ignite

in Windows 10 News
    What is new and what is next for Microsoft search at Microsoft Ignite: Microsoft Ignite is just 33 days away and we’re excited to share a number of opportunities for you to learn about Microsoft search at the event. Search Learning Path Microsoft search is offering a dedicated learning path at Microsoft Ignite to help you get up to speed on...
  9. Microsoft perspective on cyber resilience

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft perspective on cyber resilience: In the wake of recent ransomware outbreaks, I wanted to understand how impacted firms have evolved their thinking on cyber resilience planning and implementation. I asked the Detection and Response Team at Microsoft, who help our customers proactively and in real time to...
  10. What's next for Microsoft's Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 News
    What's next for Microsoft's Windows Server 2016: Beyond acknowledging that Microsoft doesn't plan to deliver the next version of Windows Server until some time in 2016, company officials haven't said much lately about Microsoft's future plans for Windows Server. That silence was broken last week during Microsoft's...