Windows 10: Pesky UAC messages returned after latest WU

Discus and support Pesky UAC messages returned after latest WU in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I had a major Windows Update this morning. I'm now getting that PITA message "Do you want this application to make changes to your computer?" every... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Terrypin, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Pesky UAC messages returned after latest WU

I had a major Windows Update this morning.

I'm now getting that PITA message "Do you want this application to make changes to your computer?" every time I run various programs that did not cause that previously.

I'm 99% sure my UAC setting (one from the bottom) has not changed. Or is that the only explanation - i.e. that it must have been on that lowest setting?

Is there any way I can fix this without setting UAC to bottom (least secure) setting?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Jul 28, 2017
  2. gigi r Win User

ease of access in windows 10

ease of access in windows 10 is a pesky program. How do I disable or return my computer to previous settings

gigi r, Jul 28, 2017
  3. Stevem46 Win User
    Where is Windows Update or How to run check for updates

Andre,

Thanks for the reply, I can get to WU location but once there I only see prompts to manage windows defender. There is no longer any means to manually run WU. This occurs after installing the latest version.

Thanks

Stevem46, Jul 28, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Use The Windows Club Tweak UI. UAC settles down after it learns your behaviors.

bro67, Jul 28, 2017
  5. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks. I've installed it, but can you spell out where to find the setting you describe please?

Pesky UAC messages returned after latest WU [​IMG]

I've shown what my settings are at present in what I assume is the relevant section:

Terrypin, Jul 28, 2017
  6. Un-check "Enable Detection of Application Installation".

TairikuOkami, Jul 28, 2017
  7. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, but after doing that and re-booting it's made no difference.

EDIT: And a few minutes later I found why: that change does not stick! After unchecking it and clicking Apply, when UWT is opened again that checkmark is enabled again.

Terrypin, Jul 28, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Security and Policy. Explore the menus, since they have the answers.

bro67, Jul 29, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Are you sure that you are not talking about the second layer of security that asks for Administrator okay. Anytime you change UAC, it has to relearn everything.

bro67, Jul 29, 2017
  10. Terrypin Win User
    There are two topics here. There's the side issue about UWT, arising from the recommendation I was given. But on the original subject, UAC, maybe I'm using the wrong labels. Here are some pictures:

1. Typical 'pesky message' (this one about a Microsoft app!)

2. Clicked 'Show more details'.

3. Clicked 'Change when these...'

Can you elaborate on what you mean about UAC 'relearning' please? I see no reduction in the frequency of the messages. Regedit is one I use often, and I'd guess I've had maybe a dozen repetitions in the last few days. Just a slow learner?

Terrypin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Pesky UAC messages returned after latest WU - Similar Threads - Pesky UAC messages

2. PeekMessage not returning WM_KEYDOWN message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PeekMessage not returning WM_KEYDOWN message: Hi. I'm having trouble with PeekMessage. I use PeekMessage in a loop inside my WM_PAINT procedure to consume messages generated during a long computation process, and to allow the user to abort the process by pressing ESCAPE. Here is a snippet of my code... // Wait for all...
  3. PeekMessage not returning WM_KEYDOWN message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PeekMessage not returning WM_KEYDOWN message: Hi. I'm having trouble with PeekMessage. I use PeekMessage in a loop inside my WM_PAINT procedure to consume messages generated during a long computation process, and to allow the user to abort the process by pressing ESCAPE. Here is a snippet of my code... // Wait for all...
  4. After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -...: At 23.55 last night, Cumulative WU KB4551762 finished downloading but didn't install. The message gave me the choice to either "Restart now" or "wait until my active hours". But my active hours are 08:00 - 01:00 so it should have restarted. Is there any action that I should...
  5. Messages being returned

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Messages being returned: My emails from my outlook.com address are being rejected reason given is 'Remote Server returned '550 5.7.520 Message blocked because it contains content identified as spam. AS4567' what can I do about it please...
  6. What's caused these strange problems (especially Notepad) after the latest WU? Win10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What's caused these strange problems (especially Notepad) after the latest WU? Win10: I'd been working on my laptop since 11pm last night. When shutting it down an hour or so later I saw that there had been a Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1809 for x64-based Systems. I powered it up again and found the following had happened: (1) four Word...
  7. WU - restart message AFTER PC has restarted Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WU - restart message AFTER PC has restarted Win10: My laptop was successfully updated by Cumulative Update KB4462933 on the 3rd November but at 05:03 today I once again got this silly message: [ATTACH] Can't Microsoft get its act together and give us this info BEFORE they restart, please?...
  8. UAC Settings & Administrative Messages

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC Settings & Administrative Messages: Hi, Ever since the new windows 10 update, I have not been able to access the message that pop ups and allows you to grant access in saying yes or no. I have tried changing my UAC to never notify but still requires me to grant access as an administrative. The screen pops...
  9. Third time round sound fails after latest WU

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Third time round sound fails after latest WU: Just got the automatic WU for Win 10 version 1607 for x64 -KB 3194798. A restart for the completion of this automatic update followed. The sound failed again. This has happened for the third time. All commenced following the Win 10 version 1607 got installed on the...
  10. UAC message when starting Regedit

in Windows 10 Support
    UAC message when starting Regedit: This is a recent change, with no obvious cause. If I try to run Regedit (via Win 10 Run box) I get this message: [img] I'm also getting it for a few other programs that never used to be a problem (may post separately about that issue). But it seems particularly absurd...