Windows 10: Phantom App Preventing Shutdown on Windows 10

Discus and support Phantom App Preventing Shutdown on Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. I've had this same issue for some months since an update - a phantom, unnamed app that's preventing shutdown. I know this issue has been flagged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Polo neck jumper, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Phantom App Preventing Shutdown on Windows 10

Hi. I've had this same issue for some months since an update - a phantom, unnamed app that's preventing shutdown. I know this issue has been flagged for named apps which are blocking shutdown, but this is an un-named phantom app which blocks every shutdown attempt, forcing me to ignore it.

I'm not interested in a workaround to bypass the message because I'd actually like my PC to shut down normally OR to flag up a genuine app that is stopping it ... perhaps due to unsaved work.

If there is a Microsoft Tech or other guru on here who can guide me by using the notes below, I'd be very grateful.

I've run all the tests recommended on other threads System File Checker, etc and they all come up clean. Then I checked the Windows Event Log as recommended on another thread. Using that, I believe I've found the problem. I just don't know how to fix it. The log shows an error flag immediately after an abortive shut down attempt.

Does anyone know if there is a change I can make to remove this error and allow the PC to shut down normally?

The messages in the log are:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\lync.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\UccApi.DLL" on line 1. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0". Definition is UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

System

Provider

[ Name]

SideBySide

EventID

[ Qualifiers]

Level

Task

Keywords

0x80000000000000

-

TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]

2020-02-29T21:23:34.207666100Z

EventRecordID

Channel

Application

Computer

DELL-P07N6C3

Security

EventData

UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0"

UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0"
    C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\lync.exe.Manifest
    C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\UccApi.DLL

:)

Polo neck jumper, Mar 2, 2020

2. Phantom app preventing restart or shutdown on Windows 10

I like it when Im editing a document and windows tells me to save my work before shutting down. It sounds like this regedit defeats that desired behavior. Nevertheless I tried it and it did not help. The phantom application was still preventing shutdown
    after regedit, and restart.

BruceKutter, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Phantom App Preventing Shutdown on Windows 10

Mystery app preventing Windows 10 shutdown after update.

After much searching, and trying many, many suggestions, this is what eventually worked for me:-

Run Windows System File Checker
    Your Windows PC comes with an in-built system file checker utility program. It can scan your system files and let you know if there is some corruption over there for which you get smashed
    with the error message “Task Host Window Preventing Shutdown”. You must follow these simple steps here to run the Windows System File Checker,

• Press the Windows Logo Key + X from your PC
    • From the drop-down list select the Command Prompt(Admin)
    • Click on Yes if prompted for permission. It will open the elevated command prompt on your system
    • Now, type in the following command and press the enter button
    • sfc /scannow
    • Then, wait until the System File Checker continues the process of scanning. Press Y if the program asks for permission to apply the fixes for your missing system files
    • Finally, Restart your PC once again and check if you can get over the problem there
    I found the above on a list of several suggestions, which are on the following link, but the above was what removed the problem for me.

This App is Preventing Shutdown in Windows 10 [SOLVED]

GavinGillespie, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

Phantom App Preventing Shutdown on Windows 10

1. Phantom App Preventing Shutdown on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Phantom App Preventing

2. This App is Preventing Shutdown windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This App is Preventing Shutdown windows 11: when I try to turn off or restart my computer I get the prompt "This App is Preventing Shutdown," I have gone through all the fourms and figured out that it is my "setupchipset.exe" that is preventing the shutdown. When I try to remove the app the computer states "Windows...
  3. This App is Preventing Shutdown windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This App is Preventing Shutdown windows 11: when I try to turn off or restart my computer I get the prompt "This App is Preventing Shutdown," I have gone through all the fourms and figured out that it is my "setupchipset.exe" that is preventing the shutdown. When I try to remove the app the computer states "Windows...
  4. Troubleshooting "This app is preventing shutdown"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshooting "This app is preventing shutdown": Oftentimes when I shut down my PC, I get the Closing N apps and shutting down screen. It looks like this: example 1, example 2, example 3. After a while the PC shuts down automatically.Is there a log created of this event?How to find the path to the app, that is preventing...
  5. Troubleshooting "This app is preventing shutdown"

Troubleshooting "This app is preventing shutdown": Oftentimes when I shut down my PC, I get the Closing N apps and shutting down screen. It looks like this: example 1, example 2, example 3. After a while the PC shuts down automatically.Is there a log created of this event?How to find the path to the app, that is preventing...
  6. This app prevents the computer to shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This app prevents the computer to shutdown: The name of this application is SystemTray.exe. Is it a virus? submitted by /u/fyzyk_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jppt29/this_app_prevents_the_computer_to_shutdown/
  7. apps preventing shutdown with no name

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    apps preventing shutdown with no name: [IMG][IMG] This has been happening for quite a while now and I'm really not sure whats going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-preventing-shutdown-with-no-name/9db97234-3253-42ba-a194-189e1090fa30
  8. Enable app to prevent shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable app to prevent shutdown: Is there any way to add this ability to an app? Specifically, I have moved on from WMC to Plex and while WMC would display a warning when recording live tv, but no such warning with plex. Can you add the ability for a warning "This app is preventing shutdown" with an app...
  9. Mysterious App Prevents Shutdown on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Mysterious App Prevents Shutdown on Windows 10: So every so often I see this preventing Shutdown, The file name is Terrifying. Sync? Observer? Worried about my Security. Please Help! • I combed through the Task Manager, Googled every Process or App I didn't recognize, Everything is legit. • Scanned with MalwareBytes,...
  10. App prevents shutdown

App prevents shutdown: When I go to shut down my computer, a pop up comes on the screen saying, "An app running in the background is preventing shut down". How can I tell which up is running? and Can I close this app myself? Thanks...