Windows 10: Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement

Discus and support Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Before physically removing the hard drive from my laptop, I cloned it to a new SSD drive using Macrium Reflect and installed the SSD drive in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Doog1111, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Doog1111 Win User

Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement

Before physically removing the hard drive from my laptop, I cloned it to a new SSD drive using Macrium Reflect and installed the SSD drive in the laptop. When I check my drives using Disk Management or AOMEI Partition Assistant, Disk 0 using Disk Management or Disk 1 using AOMEI has the C: drive on it. Belarc Advisor shows a hard drive remaining as drive 0 in my laptop and this has the serial number of the hard drive which I removed, and also the SSD drive. I've copied the C: drive to a partition on the new SSD drive but I think the laptop still boots up slowly from C: on the supposed hard drive. Macrium Reflect also shows as Disk 1 the details incl the serial number of the old removed hard drive as well as the SSD drive , as does CrystalDiskInfo and Samsung Magician. Samsung Magician show the Read and Write speeds of the SSD drive sequential 279/267MB/s and the supposed hard drive sequential 54/54. So it appears that the C: drive on the SSD drive is still operating as a slowish hard drive.

How do I sort things out so that the details and performance of the old hard drive are removed completely and everything works more quickly from the SSD drive?

:)

Doog1111, Jul 25, 2020
  2. gordon99 Win User

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an external hard drive I use for backups and a free version of the Macrium Reflect program on the hard drive. The SSD is brand new. I have just 50 GB in total on the 231 GB hard drive. The SSD has 250 GB capacity.

gordon99, Jul 25, 2020
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Phantom Hard Drive

What do you see when you open an Admin Command Prompt/Powershell and type diskpart Enter then list volume Enter ? Post screenshot like this -

Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement [​IMG]

mrgeek, Jul 25, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Computer Running Slow After Hard Drive Replacement

Hi Aiden

When you replaced that hard drive, did you clean install Windows 10 on the new hard drive and if so, did you install a full set of device drivers after that?

Did you replace the hard drive with another hard drive or an SSD drive?

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)

Choose the Processes tab

Is the HDD, RAM or CPU at a very high percentage, when you are not doing anything on your PC?

If so,click that column header, so that arrow faces down

What are the top 5 processes in the list?

DaveM121, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement - Similar Threads - Phantom hard drive

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. Will not hibernate after replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Will not hibernate after replacing hard drive: Hello!I recently put in a new hard drive, and, since then, Windows 10 will no longer hibernate. It shuts down, instead, and I lose whatever was open at the time. By "lose" I don't mean I've lost data, I mean I forget what I had open and was working on! I recall my last laptop...
  5. Activation after replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after replacing hard drive: Hi! I will be replacing my faulty hard drive with an SSD next week. I am concerned about how reactivation works for this. Is it automatic/free? I have an HP laptop with OEM activation. I have reinstalled Windows before, but never a clean installation on a brand new drive....
  6. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  7. Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?: I have a laptop (HP notebook 8 gig ram) running Windows 10 as a slow ring insider. I want to remove the hard drive which is as slow as treacle and replace it with an SSD. This requires that I do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD ..... My question is this: I have a USB...
  8. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  9. Phantom Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Phantom Hard Drive: Hi, I just noticed that a new drive appeared on my Desktop and I don't know what it is. In the file explorer it's displayed as SYSTEM (H:). When I try to view it I'm told I don't have permission to do that, and when I click on Continue to gain access I'm again told I don't...
  10. replace hard drive with SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replace hard drive with SSD: I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD? 95323