Windows 10: Phantom Input Issue

Discus and support Phantom Input Issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a recurring issue with my Windows 10 PC and I need help figuring out how to troubleshoot it. Sometimes there is an issue with my keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sutsuo, May 17, 2020.

1. sutsuo Win User

Phantom Input Issue

I have a recurring issue with my Windows 10 PC and I need help figuring out how to troubleshoot it.

Sometimes there is an issue with my keyboard input. It seems that my computer will somehow think that the ctrl button is permanently pressed, based on the fact that if I press a key it will treat it as ctrl + key and activate the hotkey mapped to it, if any. I technically don't know if the issue is ONLY that my pc registers ctrl as down, but that's what it looks like based on the behavior.

The only way I know to make this go away is restarting my computer, which has always worked until it recurs.

This happens somewhere between once every few days to once a week.

Some more info. I have several peripherals connected to my pc: 4 keyboards, 1 num pad, 4 mice and 2 xbox one controllers (and I use re-wasd, so under some settings the xbox controllers can generate keyboard presses instead of controller input).

When this issue has happened I've checked to make sure none of the buttons/keys are being pressed. Physical button presses don't seem to be the issue.

I've also tried pressing ctrl on a keyboard to see if that would send the "ctrl up" event and fix it or something, but it doesn't work.

I also have an Autohotkey script running at all times, but it doesn't have any behavior that seems to me that would cause this, but I only know that language so well.

If you know a way I can see what's going on when this happens or afterwards that would be really appreciated. Maybe a way to see current input and its source? Windows events? A log file? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Phantom Input Issue :)

:)

sutsuo, May 17, 2020
  2. David Haz Win User

Phantom Touch Issue

Hello John,

It is possible that a recent software change may have caused this phantom touch in your device, we suggest that you check the update history of your device to see if a recent installed update have caused the issue. Here's how to get to the update history
    of Windows 10:

• Click the Start button, then go to Settings
      > Update & security > Windows Update, then click
      Update History.

David Haz, May 17, 2020
  3. Helmut Win User
    Phantom router on network

Phantom devices has been going on since Windows 8.1
    Don't worry about them, I get a varying selection of neighbours phones, printers, smart TVs etc. They are not connecting, as you have noted no IP address.

"Also, any suggestions for a program that will scan the network and list all units "attached" to it?"

My Netgear Modem/Router/WAP does just that. Just look in Advanced Tab > Administration > Attached Devices. It lists wired, wireless 2.4G and 5G Devices.

Helmut, May 17, 2020
  4. Johan45 Win User

Phantom Input Issue

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Phantom Input Issue

1. Phantom Input Issue - Similar Threads - Phantom Input Issue

2. Phantom Input and unable to use Windows Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom Input and unable to use Windows Menu: After I quit a game in which I was using a controller. When I try to access the start menu or any windows menu, it seems like a directional button is being pressed meaning I cannot access anything on the menu due to this input. I have tried to use both keyboard and controller...
  3. Phantom Input and unable to use Windows Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom Input and unable to use Windows Menu: After I quit a game in which I was using a controller. When I try to access the start menu or any windows menu, it seems like a directional button is being pressed meaning I cannot access anything on the menu due to this input. I have tried to use both keyboard and controller...
  4. Phantom Controller Inputs After Disconnecting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom Controller Inputs After Disconnecting.: Hello,I've had a problem where if I unplug my Xbox One controller the Windows 10 UI elements, text cursor, and even mouse control in the case of using the snip tool will always pull to the right automatically. The only temporarily fix is to restart my computer, which...
  5. Phantom Controller Inputs After Disconnecting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom Controller Inputs After Disconnecting.: Hello,I've had a problem where if I unplug my Xbox One controller the Windows 10 UI elements, text cursor, and even mouse control in the case of using the snip tool will always pull to the right automatically. The only temporarily fix is to restart my computer, which...
  6. Phantom Controller Inputs After Disconnecting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Phantom Dust Control Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom Dust Control Issue: Good day. I've just downloaded and installed a FTP game from Microsoft called Phantom Dust. But it's having an issue responding to keyboard presses. It wouldn't respond at all to any key I press on the keyboard. It just stays on the title screen as I hit almost all keys on...
  8. Phantom keyboard inputs and general screwiness

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Phantom keyboard inputs and general screwiness: For months I've been having some issues with my setup. It started with my media players behaving as if the pause/play button were constantly held down. I'd open a music file or video and it would sit there jittering like I was holding down the spacebar. It would do this with...
  9. Phantom Input Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Phantom Input Issue: I have a recurring issue with my Windows 10 PC and I need help figuring out how to troubleshoot it. Sometimes there is an issue with my keyboard input. It seems that my computer will somehow think that the ctrl button is permanently pressed, based on the fact that if I press...
  10. Phantom language input methods cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    Phantom language input methods cannot be deleted: At one point I added a Greek polytonic keyboard method but had deleted it long ago. However it still shows up at lower right corner and can be switched into. I tried time and language setting and control pannel change language preference menu but Greek does not show up in the...