Windows 10: Phantom Keyboard: '=' key repeatedly pressed even when keyboard is unplugged: Narrowed down...

Discus and support Phantom Keyboard: '=' key repeatedly pressed even when keyboard is unplugged: Narrowed down... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I am using the latest version of Windows 10. Last night my computer began typing '=' repeatedly. It starts slow, then speeds up and eventually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Charles.trex.rawr, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Phantom Keyboard: '=' key repeatedly pressed even when keyboard is unplugged: Narrowed down...

Hi,

I am using the latest version of Windows 10. Last night my computer began typing '=' repeatedly. It starts slow, then speeds up and eventually slows down again. The problem persists even when I unplug my keyboard.

In lulls of rapid fire '=' I am able to login and troubleshoot. I found that I have 5 HID Keyboard devices installed in device manager. If I uninstall the second HID Keyboard driver, my keyboard stops working and '=' continues to type. If I uninstall the third HID Keyboard driver, the problem stops and I am able to use my keyboard (the reason I am typing this now).

I after I uninstall all the non-essential HID Keyboard drivers I reboot and they are installed again, bringing back the problem of continuous '='.

I've looked up ways of preventing Windows 10 from installing new HID Keyboard drivers upon boot but all of the resources are either dated or have different answers to the problem, all of which dive deep into system configs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

:)

Charles.trex.rawr, Oct 21, 2018

2. Help Choosing Gaming Keyboard

Hi guys, just found this forum and looks awesome.

I just bought a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (this one) and I am about 70% satisfied. I am returning it because they sent me the wrong model number, but I think the model number up from this won't be much different.

What I need in a gaming keyboard:
    • WHITE Backlit Keys (multicolor is a plus but has to allow white since I basically only use white)
    • Anti-ghosting (preferably 10 keys simultaneous)
    • Silent Keypress
    • $40 to $80 (used is fine)
    • Easy-to press keys
    • External color a simple black
    • OPTIONAL: Low-profile keys (slim, ultraslim)
    What do you suggest? I have been searching for many hours and have a few ideas, but there are mixed reviews.

vawrvawerawe, Oct 21, 2018
  3. LGM
    LGM Win User
    Stubborn keyboard keys

The on screen keyboard worked flawlessly. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I know for sure it is a mechanical issue with the keyboard. Anyone know if replacing a keyboard on an Asus laptop is even feasible? Or will it be too costly?

4. Arun B J Win User

Phantom Keyboard: '=' key repeatedly pressed even when keyboard is unplugged: Narrowed down...

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

Phantom Keyboard: '=' key repeatedly pressed even when keyboard is unplugged: Narrowed down...

1. Phantom Keyboard: '=' key repeatedly pressed even when keyboard is unplugged: Narrowed down... - Similar Threads - Phantom Keyboard '='

2. My pc keeps thinking the LALT key is pressed down even if I unplug the keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My pc keeps thinking the LALT key is pressed down even if I unplug the keyboard: About 2 weeks ago I started a game when I noticed, I couldn't execute most of the commands by pressing the normal keys. I went into the 'controls' menu, to see if any keybinds were deleted trying to rebind them. Everytime I reset the binding, it instantly bound the key with...
  3. My pc keeps thinking the LALT key is pressed down even if I unplug the keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc keeps thinking the LALT key is pressed down even if I unplug the keyboard: About 2 weeks ago I started a game when I noticed, I couldn't execute most of the commands by pressing the normal keys. I went into the 'controls' menu, to see if any keybinds were deleted trying to rebind them. Everytime I reset the binding, it instantly bound the key with...
  4. My pc keeps thinking the LALT key is pressed down even if I unplug the keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ctrl key stuck on even when keyboard unplugged

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ctrl key stuck on even when keyboard unplugged: Hi there, I’m stumped. Two weeks ago, my computerstarting behaving odd: -my mouse wheel was zooming apps in and out -when working on text documents the last thing I had copiedwould suddenly paste infinitely -none of my letters worked to type -when I started to look on the...
  6. Mouse lagging, keyboard repeating keys even when not typing.

Mouse lagging, keyboard repeating keys even when not typing.: I believe this started happening just after the last update. I'll be typing and it will start to lag really bad and then the last key I actually hit will start repeating accross the screen. At this point I'm not even touching the keyboard. I also have some add mouse lag...
  7. Mouse lagging, keyboard repeating keys even when not typing.

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse lagging, keyboard repeating keys even when not typing.: I believe this started happening just after the last update. I'll be typing and it will start to lag really bad and then the last key I actually hit will start repeating accross the screen. At this point I'm not even touching the keyboard. I also have some add mouse lag...
  8. false key press ecen when keyboard is unplugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    false key press ecen when keyboard is unplugged: i just recently have this issued where my desktop think im pressing up on the keyboard. I even tried unplugging and shutting down/restart my computer and it's still doing the samething. i cant use chrome or use and of the icon on the deaktop becuz it move back up/scroll...
  9. Keyboard is phantom pressing number nine

Keyboard is phantom pressing number nine: Hi. This is the first time I've experienced this on Windows 10. Yesterday I noticed that my number 9 (the one with the page up command) on the keypad of my keyboard doesn't work, then today, it would randomly input "999999999999999999999999999999999999999" into fields until I...
  10. Virtual key stuck down even if keyboard is unplugged

in Windows 10 Support
    Virtual key stuck down even if keyboard is unplugged: Hi, I am periodically experiencing an issue where the o button starts typing itself continuously until I either restart or lock the PC. It's not a keyboard issue, since it happens whether the keyboard is plugged in or not, even with a different keyboard. Is there a way...