Windows 10: Phantom keystrokes - W key keeps repeating

Discus and support Phantom keystrokes - W key keeps repeating in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; If on my laptop keyboard I keep the W key pressed for a few seconds, then it keeps delivering a W input after I release it, sometimes for 5 seconds or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Luc_143, May 25, 2020.

1. Luc_143 Win User

Phantom keystrokes - W key keeps repeating

If on my laptop keyboard I keep the W key pressed for a few seconds, then it keeps delivering a W input after I release it, sometimes for 5 seconds or so after I stopped pressing it.

The longer I keep it pressed, the longer the phantom input continues for after I lift my finger. It always happens, with 100% reliability.

I tried with other keys, and it does not happen. Only with the letter W, and only after I keep it pressed. If I press it quickly multiple times, I do not have this issue.

I tried restarting into Safe Mode, and I still have the issue.

I tried using the Windows on-screen keyboard, and if I use my mouse to keep the W key pressed on the onscreen keyboard, the issue does not appear. Only with the physical laptop keyboard.

Unfortunately I do not have an external keyboard I can test to see if the issue replicates with a different physical keyboard. However, the fact that it always happens makes me think it is not an issue with the physical button. It happens in any software I am using: notepad, web browser, videogames.

As you can imagine it is driving me crazy - any help would be appreciated.

:)

Luc_143, May 25, 2020
  2. Long Tran Win User

keyboard randomly repeating keystroke when plugged in

My keyboard keep randomly repeat my keystrokes. Any key could be repeated, sometimes twice, sometimes 3 times or more, no pattern at all. When I remove the keyboard and plug it in another computer, it work just fine. The built-in keyboard of the laptop also have no issue. Also, it ONLY happens when I have the laptopp plugged in to a power source. If I run it on battery power, nothing is out of place.

I've tried restarting the computer, enable filter key and changing the delay setting for the keystroke, physically removingg the battery, reinstall the keyboard driver, drain the battery completely then hold the power button for more than 30s to drain the remaining electricity before replugging and turning the thing on... but nothing work! The only way for it to work like normal is to unplug the laptop and use it on battery, which is highly disruptive to my workflow.

Could someone help please?

Some techcnical info:

• Laptop brand: ASUS
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 -2450M CPU @2.50GHz
    • Keyboard brand: HTC Keyboard (plugged in through an USB port)

Long Tran, May 25, 2020
  3. Win 10 keystrokes go bonkers

when I hit one key sometimes it drops down a list to select from

sometimes it takes 2 keystrokes then just hangs

if I persist in trying Win 10 logs off and I have to log on again.

maybe the keystroke autocompletion feature?

Need help. My Win 10 system is now unusable until I resolve this issur.

Using a second PC to enter this problem description.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks/

smartalecktexan, May 25, 2020
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Windows 10 Phantom Key Issue 2017

To find out if a third-party program is affecting your keyboard's performance, kindly follow these steps carefully:

• Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    • Click Start.
    • Type System Configuration and press Enter.
    • Tap or click the Services tab, and then tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
    • Tap or click to select the upper half of in the Service list.
    • Tap or click OK, and then tap or click Restart.
    • After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.

* If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through 6, but clear the lower half of the in the Service list that you originally selected.

* If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through 6, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

* If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the Service list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no service causes the problem, go to step 8.
    • Repeat steps 1 and 3 in this section.
    • Tap or click the Startup tab, and then tap or click to select the upper half of in the Startup Item list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.

* If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 8 and 9, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the Startup Item list that you originally selected.

* If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 8 and 9, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

* If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no Startup Item causes this problem, a Microsoft service probably
      causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps 1 through 7 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in each step.
    • After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then tap or click to clear for the problem item.

If the Control key still behaves erratically after doing all of these steps, we suggest performing a repair installation of Windows 10, which will fix your operating system while letting you keep your files and apps. The steps for doing a repair installation
    can be found through this
    link

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance with your keyboard's performance.

Yolvi Ell, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Phantom keystrokes - W key keeps repeating - Similar Threads - Phantom keystrokes key

2. Periodic Phantom Keystrokes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Periodic Phantom Keystrokes: For about a month now I have experienced random keystrokes occurring periodically. It is usually "j" but sometimes "b" and can occur as frequently as every 60 seconds up to about 15 mins. I have keyboard and mouse through a switch box to the computer. I am running Win11, 32GB...
  3. Periodic Phantom Keystrokes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Periodic Phantom Keystrokes: For about a month now I have experienced random keystrokes occurring periodically. It is usually "j" but sometimes "b" and can occur as frequently as every 60 seconds up to about 15 mins. I have keyboard and mouse through a switch box to the computer. I am running Win11, 32GB...
  4. keys keeps repeating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keys keeps repeating: Some keys like P and TYKLM are repeating on my keyboard. It happens a lot today. I am typing in my on screen keyboard. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keys-keeps-repeating/714c7eb5-548d-4fec-bb20-ca35dbe55721
  5. keys keeps repeating

keys keeps repeating: Some keys like P and TYKLM are repeating on my keyboard. It happens a lot today. I am typing in my on screen keyboard. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keys-keeps-repeating/714c7eb5-548d-4fec-bb20-ca35dbe55721
  6. keys keeps repeating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Computer repeating keystroke with no keyboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer repeating keystroke with no keyboard.: Hello, I have searched for hours and have not seen any situation like this.The computer repeats the "Y" key in any text box indefinitely. Even with no keyboard attached.I have tried-with no keyboard attached to desktop-in safe mode-keyboard troubleshooter -uninstalling...
  8. Computer repeating keystroke with no keyboard.

Computer repeating keystroke with no keyboard.: Hello, I have searched for hours and have not seen any situation like this.The computer repeats the "Y" key in any text box indefinitely. Even with no keyboard attached.I have tried-with no keyboard attached to desktop-in safe mode-keyboard troubleshooter -uninstalling...
  9. Computer repeating keystroke with no keyboard.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Phantom Key Presses

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom Key Presses: Right, I'm getting pretty pissed off with Windows 10 now, and this issue has been plaguing me for a while.I am am having phantom key presses the right arrow key to be exact which is disabling from using Search, Films and TV, and basically any WINDOWS application within my...