Windows 10: Phantom router on network

Discus and support Phantom router on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently I've noticed a "phantom" router appearing in my network. The Belkin router is not mine, the Linksys is. Properties of the Belkin router... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 24c, Dec 16, 2017.

1. 24C
    24c Win User

Phantom router on network

Recently I've noticed a "phantom" router appearing in my network. The Belkin router is not mine, the Linksys is.

Properties of the Belkin router list serial number, MAC address, model number, model, manufacturer, but no IP address. It only shows up on my desktop, not the Pro 3's or HP laptop's File Explorer under Network.

Desktop is connected to network with a Netgear WNDA3100v3 N600 Dual Band USB Adapter - WPA2-PSK security type. Pro 3 and Laptop connect to network with their internal wireless connections

Haven't noticed any "strange" behavior, or usage, on my machines, but am curious as to why it is appearing in my network.

Also, any suggestions for a program that will scan the network and list all units "attached" to it?

Phantom router on network [​IMG]

:)

2. mr_fibuli Win User

Strange Device on my Network

I've just seen the same phantom device connected to my network in Windows 10, but not showing up on the router. Looks like this might be a weird glitch in windows 10?

mr_fibuli, Dec 16, 2017
  3. Troubleshooting Homegroups After Upgrading to Windows 10

Phantom HomeGroup: Need to delete HomeGroup from a PC that no longer exists

I used a variation of one of the posts in the link above to resolve the issue:

• I turned off all PCs on my home network.
    • Turned off router and wireless repeater. Waited a few minutes.
    • Turned on the router.
    • Turned on the wireless repeater.
    • Started one of the PCs (the one I wanted to use to create the HomeGroup)
    • In Control Panel>Network and Internet>HomeGroup I was able to select the button to create a new HomeGroup (this had previously NOT been possible).
    • I copied down the password that was automatically created and used it on the other PCs to join the HomeGroup

copester0290, Dec 16, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Probably nothing more than a weak signal from a neighbour, and your adaptor is more sensitive to pick it up.

It could also be a 5 GHZ signal, and your other devices can only see 2.4 GHZ.

cereberus, Dec 16, 2017
  5. 24C
    24c Win User
    Thanks cereberus - some new neighbors have moved in recently, could belong to one of them. A tablet just briefly appeared in the network - a Verizon Wireless QMV7A 7 inch HD 4G LTE Android WiFi Tablet.

I may just spend the day watching my network and see who/what shows up - *Cool

Thanks again for the reply.

6. Bree New Member
    ...especially if they have set it up with poor/no security.

NirSoft have a small WifiInfoView utility that lets you examine all detected wifi signals in much more detail.

WifiInfoView - WiFi Scanner for Windows 10/7/8/Vista

7. 24C
    24c Win User
    Thanks Bree - will give WifiInfoView a try.

ETA - installed WiFiInfoView - interesting to see all the local wifi setups.

I love this place - you people know things!

8. Helmut Win User

Phantom devices has been going on since Windows 8.1
    Don't worry about them, I get a varying selection of neighbours phones, printers, smart TVs etc. They are not connecting, as you have noted no IP address.

"Also, any suggestions for a program that will scan the network and list all units "attached" to it?"

My Netgear Modem/Router/WAP does just that. Just look in Advanced Tab > Administration > Attached Devices. It lists wired, wireless 2.4G and 5G Devices.

Helmut, Dec 17, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Does not mean anything. You can take the MAC and go online to see the mfg. Some devices in Microsoft's database for the MAC info has been messed up since the first time they created Windows. Started to get worse with Windows 7 and it is getting slowly fixed with Windows 10.

bro67, Dec 17, 2017
  10. 24C
    24c Win User
    Helmut - bro67 - thanks for the replies. This had been a learning experience - I like learning experiences - *Smile

11. bro67 Win User
    Only certain manufacturers create the chips that drive the CPU and ports. Those are going to have a Generic vendor and with that, Windows may think that the MAC is for another brand. I use MAC Address and OUI Lookup for - Find the Company that manufactured the network card. when I am trying to remember which device on my network is for a IP, due to a couple of them do not broadcast their netbios name and tend to just be oddballs. Only happens if I have to rebuild my network IP database on my Gateway.

bro67, Dec 18, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    The Nirsoft WifiInfoView I suggested earlier can also identify the devices it can see, you can give it the text file from the IEEE that lists the latest revisions. No doubt your lookup link refers to the same database.

WifiInfoView - WiFi Scanner for Windows 10/7/8/Vista

Thema:

1. Phantom router on network - Similar Threads - Phantom router network

2. Router and network indicating differently.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Router and network indicating differently.: New RAC2V1S router to serve as router and server for 6 movie HDD's via USB. Router reports nothing connected to WiFi but all my PC's show in net on PC. Router does not show in net but streams the movies all of which list on my movie player. Why does router not show up in net...
  3. Network list of neighbors routers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network list of neighbors routers: In the lower right corner of the screen when I click network settings, there is a list of wi-fi's from my neighbor's around me. Can I delete this list or hide it?...
  4. Networking with 10 and router

Networking with 10 and router: I have a Dell and Lenovo desktop connected with a router. The Lenovo can access the Dell files. The Dell can ping the Dell by name or IP but can't access the files. Message says to check with system admin. I have checked everything I can think of but no change. What else...
  5. phantom networks

phantom networks: I have been getting phantom networks appearing such as douglas and another named full_biscuit what can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/phantom-networks/b3845944-ef49-4176-9e39-0457ea3175fc
  6. Network Data with New Router

Network Data with New Router: I have changed out my Router, and now cannot get the NAS and Network Computers to show in My Network. If I put the old router back in server they show again. Where is there a place to delete the old router info, so the new router can provide the connections? It appears...
  7. Phantom device on my network

Phantom device on my network: [img] This Sky QBox seems to be a permanent device on my network, yet it has no IP Address. I've compared the MAC address with devices listed in router and it's not listed. I have rebooted the router and it's still there I have no Sky devices in the house, nor do I have...
  8. Networking, router or?

Networking, router or?: Hello, my issue is, I wish to connect my 3 laptops together for shared networking. Windows7, 10 &10. I can connect 2 together via ethernet cable but since my internet access is a private network AirCard (wifi), I don't have a physical router. I am wondering what I need in...
  9. Running a network without a router

Running a network without a router: Our holiday cottage will soon have a Dell Small Form Factor Windows 10 Pro PC. It would be handy if visitors could access the PC via WiFi, but would that necessarily involve having a router? I've worked with routers ever since the inception of Ethernet, but I've never come...
  10. Help required with Networking/router

Help required with Networking/router: Hope someone can help. I'm getting to grips with my new Cambridge CXN streamer. I'm ok with connecting an external USB stick to my PC as the CXN recognises this through my Windows 10 library. However, when I connect the stick to my (BT) router, although Windows sees...