Windows 10: Phone Modem stopped working

Discus and support Phone Modem stopped working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I Recently found that my external USB modem has stopped working while trying to send a FAX. It also will not work with the PhoneTray telemarketer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Imsai8080, May 19, 2019.

1. Imsai8080 Win User

Phone Modem stopped working

I Recently found that my external USB modem has stopped working while trying to send a FAX. It also will not work with the PhoneTray telemarketer blocking system. I then purchased a new Hiro external USB modem that is supposed to work with Windows 10, but it also does not work on my computer, but works fine on my wife's newer HP 400-314 computer. I have tried swapping ports to no avail. Seems the modem is able to read caller ID information, but does not respond to AT commands for on/off hook or dialing anymore. The type of modem I am having issues with is a Hiro H50113 USB modem.

The computer recognizes the modem in multiple programs (FAX, PhoneTray, VZ56K) and shows up fine in Device Manager but the modem is not responding to AT commands from the programs to go off-hook, on-hook, and dial, although several programs recognize caller ID information that is being sent by the modem. I recently purchased a new Hiro H50228 USB modem that claims to be Windows 10 compatible, but it also is not working, but works fine on my wife's newer computer.

I suspect the issue may have occurred due to a Windows 10 update sometime late last year, but did not become apparent until I tried to use the FAX program and also found that Phonetray was no longer blocking phone numbers.

I have an HP p7-1254 desktop running Windows 10 Version 10.0.17763.

:)

Imsai8080, May 19, 2019
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

DOCSIS 3.0 modem with phone line?

I'm thinking about buying my own modem for a few reasons:

1. Upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0, the modem I have from them is 2.0
    2. Eliminate the monthly rental fee.

Time Warner has a official supported modem list on their site, but none of them have phone lines like my current modem does, and then there's this little tidbit: if you choose to purchase your own modem, you will need another device from them to use their phone service, as none of the modems on their list have phone lines (including the modem I am currently using, from them, that does have phone lines on it). It seems they are trying to get their monthly equipment fee regardless if you have their modem or your own.

Considering my modem isn't on their list and it has phone lines on it, and I don't have a second box from them for the phone, I'm thinking ANY modem should work, whether it's on their list or not.

So, I'm looking for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that has phone lines on it, any recommendations? I don't mind if the modem is also a router, provided I have full control over it as I would with my current router.

3. ZTE MODEM is not working on Creators update.

Hi,

Your modem's driver may not be compatible with the Windows 10 Creators Update, thus the error message you're receiving. Here are our suggestions for fixing the issue:

1) Update the modem driver through Device Manager.

• Press your Windows key and type Device Manager.
    • Right-click on it then look for the driver related to your ZTE
      modem.
    • Once located, click on the drop down button and choose Update driver.

2) Contact the modem's manufacturer.

• Since this issue also deals with a third-party product, contacting the support team of your manufacturer would also be a good step to take.

Let us know if you need more help.

Jairit Bet, May 19, 2019
  4. meebers Win User

Supported phones for Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview

Your list confirms my phone is eligible, Lumia 521. The windows Insider App fails after ~ 15 seconds, restores data and gives me error 80073cf9. I trouble shot this and went thru all the steps mentioned on several websites including MS without any luck. Short of a hard reset, this is where I am now. Suggestions appreciated.

meebers, May 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Phone Modem stopped working - Similar Threads - Phone Modem stopped

2. Hspa Modem 3G Modem Not Working , Only Intializes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hspa Modem 3G Modem Not Working , Only Intializes: Hi there , i have a problem with my HSPA modem 3G, driver version 2.0.5.9. It works well on windows 8 and i am using windows 11. I did upgrade my computer from windows 10 to 11 Pro 23H2 last year and it worked well with my windows 10 . I tried to do compatability troubleshoot...
  3. Hspa Modem 3G Modem Not Working , Only Intializes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hspa Modem 3G Modem Not Working , Only Intializes: Hi there , i have a problem with my HSPA modem 3G, driver version 2.0.5.9. It works well on windows 8 and i am using windows 11. I did upgrade my computer from windows 10 to 11 Pro 23H2 last year and it worked well with my windows 10 . I tried to do compatability troubleshoot...
  4. Internet only works for a minute after resetting modem then stops?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet only works for a minute after resetting modem then stops?: Recently moved and set my computer back up. Internet only works for a minute after resetting modem then stops. Everything says it's good and diagnostics can't find anything wrong. I've tried resetting drivers and DNS caches. Both ethernet and wifi not working. Ethernet is...
  5. Internet only works for a minute after resetting modem then stops?

Internet only works for a minute after resetting modem then stops?: Recently moved and set my computer back up. Internet only works for a minute after resetting modem then stops. Everything says it's good and diagnostics can't find anything wrong. I've tried resetting drivers and DNS caches. Both ethernet and wifi not working. Ethernet is...
  6. Internet only works for a minute after resetting modem then stops?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows Phone app stopped working

Windows Phone app stopped working: Today I wanted to send some texts and since I was in front of my computer screen and my phone was chilling on the bed, I wanted to launch Windows phone app as I was doing many times before. Only this time the icon of the app in the start menu was dark blue instead of light...
  8. Windows version 1903 phone modem issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows version 1903 phone modem issues: Woke up this morning to find that Windows version 1903 had installed itself. Also discovered that none of my phone modems would again not work with a program that I use to detect and block robocallers. Tried changing ports, adding initialization strings, trying different...
  9. Windows 10 1903 Voice Modem stops working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 1903 Voice Modem stops working: After upgrading to 1903 my voicemaill system no longer works. I can't play outgoing messages to people who call nor can I record messages they want to leave. I'm using a USRobotics voice modem and everything has been working fine until this 1903 "upgrade". I have checked the...
  10. Modem games not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modem games not working: So I finally forced my Desktop to install Windows 10 Pro and it all went without any problems, until... I have Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas modded like crazy. I spent weeks on each making them as perfect as I could. I had hundreds of mods that would improve even the...