Windows 10: phone number changed, can't update because Microsoft chat requires a verification code from...

Discus and support phone number changed, can't update because Microsoft chat requires a verification code from... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My phone number changed. When I try to update my account, it requires a verification code to be sent to the old number which is no longer working. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ejleonardo, May 30, 2019.

1. phone number changed, can't update because Microsoft chat requires a verification code from...

My phone number changed. When I try to update my account, it requires a verification code to be sent to the old number which is no longer working. I went through the "other" verification process and was approved to update my password with a note that I should enter my new phone number, but of course when I try to enter it, Microsoft again requires the code to be sent to the old number. Very frustrating. How can I update to the new number?

:)

ejleonardo, May 30, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft account password recovery requires two verification codes being sent using two different verification methods. Each Microsoft account has at least two verification methods, the phone number and additional email address which are asked and required when you set up a new Microsoft account with a new hotmail.com or outlook.com email or using a third party email.

When the thief who got your phone tries to recover your password, all your verification methods / security info phone numbers and email addresses will be listed for him to select one. OK, the thief naturally selects your phone number, gets the code sent as a text message, and enters it.

But, clicking Next after entering the code he needs to select another security info contact (phone / email) from the list to receive second verification code.

Password recovery is not possible with just your phone, the system is clever enough to make it impossible by requiring two codes being sent to two different phones and / or emails.

You can add as many phone numbers and email address as you wish as security info contacts at https://account.live.com/proofs/mana...&refp=security. I wholeheartedly recommend that you add at least another security email address; if you only have one phone number and one email added, those which were required when you set up the Microsoft account, and that thief got your phone, the recovery would be as impossible to you as it is to him, you both having access to just one of required two verification methods.

3. Telephone number change

Already gave you the steps to close the outlook account.

For Phone number change, it might require your old phone number:

Please click Manage your Security Info on the page below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12428/...

Sumit (Independent Advisor), May 30, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

phone number changed, can't update because Microsoft chat requires a verification code from...

Unprompted Microsoft verification text

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Have you enabled two step verification?

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

If you have enabled two step verification in the Microsoft account. You’ll get a security code to your email, phone, or authenticator app every time you sign in on a device that isn't trusted.

Refer the link below for more information.

About two-step verification.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

Security info & security codes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/account-security-password-information

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Arun B J, May 30, 2019
Thema:

phone number changed, can't update because Microsoft chat requires a verification code from...

1. phone number changed, can't update because Microsoft chat requires a verification code from... - Similar Threads - phone number changed

2. Changing phone number for verification codes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing phone number for verification codes: I cannot change the phone number on the account because the process goes around in circles and the same for my password. Microsoft needs to address this as soon as possible....
  3. Changing phone number for verification codes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing phone number for verification codes: I cannot change the phone number on the account because the process goes around in circles and the same for my password. Microsoft needs to address this as soon as possible....
  4. I did not receive a verification code from Microsoft to my phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I did not receive a verification code from Microsoft to my phone number: I didn't receive a verification code from Microsoft to my telephone number, I have entered several telephone number options that use country codes or telephone numbers directly, I have tried several times but it still doesn't work...
  5. I did not receive a verification code from Microsoft to my phone number

I did not receive a verification code from Microsoft to my phone number: I didn't receive a verification code from Microsoft to my telephone number, I have entered several telephone number options that use country codes or telephone numbers directly, I have tried several times but it still doesn't work...
  6. Google Not Texting Verification Code To Phone Number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Not Texting Verification Code To Phone Number: I normally use Outlook, and I also have a Google email account that I seldom use. The application I am trying to use asks me to select either Google or Yahoo, so I select Google there is no option to select Outlook. I guess the application is doing this for security.When I...
  7. Google Not Texting Verification Code To Phone Number

Google Not Texting Verification Code To Phone Number: I normally use Outlook, and I also have a Google email account that I seldom use. The application I am trying to use asks me to select either Google or Yahoo, so I select Google there is no option to select Outlook. I guess the application is doing this for security.When I...
  8. Google Not Texting Verification Code To Phone Number

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Code Verification Not Sent to my phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Code Verification Not Sent to my phone number: Hallo I'm from Indonesia. I did not get a verification code to my mobile number, even though the number is correct. I tried to contact the Microsoft Indonesia service center but it always doesn't work.So, my windows laptop has a problem, automatic repairing, then when I try...
  10. Code Verification Not Sent to my phone number

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Code Verification Not Sent to my phone number: Hallo I'm from Indonesia. I did not get a verification code to my mobile number, even though the number is correct. I tried to contact the Microsoft Indonesia service center but it always doesn't work.So, my windows laptop has a problem, automatic repairing, then when I try...