Windows 10: Phone scam and/or pop-up security warning purporting to be from Microsoft 8/22/2018

Discus and support Phone scam and/or pop-up security warning purporting to be from Microsoft 8/22/2018 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Several times yesterday and again today, August 22, 2018, I received phone calls at my home which showed my name and my phone number as the calling... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LavishFlunky590, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Phone scam and/or pop-up security warning purporting to be from Microsoft 8/22/2018

Several times yesterday and again today, August 22, 2018, I received phone calls at my home which showed my name and my phone number as the calling party on my caller ID. When I finally decided to answer today, I got a recording purporting to be from Microsoft saying my IP address had been compromised in several countries. The recording also said that my license for Windows would be terminated within 48 hours unless I pressed "1" to talk with someone at Microsoft. I did not. Last week I received 2 pop-up warnings on my laptop purporting to be from Microsoft security and directing me to call their # 855-328-4232. Unfortunately, I did and was fooled by a very empathetic and believable woman who I allowed to briefly access my computer. She showed me where several "foreign names" had used my IP address. When she told me that she would transfer me to technical engineers to fix my issues, I terminated the call. I called MacAfee and ran a scan which showed no malware or viruses were on my system. Does anyone know of similar phone calls or pop-up warnings? What should I be aware of or look for? As you can probably tell, I am not a computer guru so please use basic terms when responding. Thank you. jg

:)

LavishFlunky590, Aug 22, 2018

2. Support Scam calls and pop-up "infected" warning

Both, phone calls as well as the fake warning pop-up are a scam. It's a coincidence that you experienced both.

Real Microsoft warnings never display any phone number to call.

Never ever call these phone numbers which you see in these kind of fake warning pop-ups.

They are always a scam.

Never ever allow those scammers access to your computer.

See:

PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the
    Rise

Normally you can use the Task Manager to close your browser:
    How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8 or 10

Or (for Edge) this method of
    Scott_ki
    which was posted
    here
    :

When this happened to me, I closed Microsoft Edge using the Task Manager.

Then in the search bar next to the Windows 10 logo on the bottom off the screen (I call it the "Cortana Search"), I typed in google.com and hit enter.

Microsoft Edge opened up with a new tab for Google. You can see the offending site still opens in a tab that doesn't have focus. Click the "X" to close Edge. Do not click on the offending site tab or it will get focus again.

When Edge closes nicely, I won't "Restore" the sessions and the offending site tab will be gone.

After a reboot the pop-up should be gone.

If not, please follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

Also see:

Tech Support Scams – Help & Resource Page

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

Cheers,

J

Jsssssssss, Aug 22, 2018
  3. Pop Up security warning

Good that you didn't click on anything and that you didn't call that number. That what you were seeing are fake alerts which try to trick you into calling some obscure companies who then will try to sell you their unneeded services/products.

Please read the following article which describes in detail various methods how to get out of such pop ups. The article also mentions methods how to prevent these kind of fake alerts.

In case you keep on getting these pop ups, it is recommended to run some scans as described here:

Suggestion to also take the time and to read:

Jsssssssss, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Phone scam and/or pop-up security warning purporting to be from Microsoft 8/22/2018

Scam warnings

What browser are you using?

You might want to get a good advertisement blocker...

And suggestion to read the following article which describes in detail various methods how to get out of such pop ups. The article also mentions methods how to prevent these kind of fake alerts.

Jsssssssss, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

Phone scam and/or pop-up security warning purporting to be from Microsoft 8/22/2018

1. Phone scam and/or pop-up security warning purporting to be from Microsoft 8/22/2018 - Similar Threads - Phone scam pop

2. are these pop up defender virus warnings a scam or not ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    are these pop up defender virus warnings a scam or not ?: What are latest scams Defender lock up virus warnings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-these-pop-up-defender-virus-warnings-a-scam-or/ea70be59-602e-41f2-a0bf-2c70205b240f
  3. are these pop up defender virus warnings a scam or not ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    are these pop up defender virus warnings a scam or not ?: What are latest scams Defender lock up virus warnings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-these-pop-up-defender-virus-warnings-a-scam-or/ea70be59-602e-41f2-a0bf-2c70205b240f
  4. security pop up warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    security pop up warning: My other laptop just had a pop up warning from windows defender security center, that advises not shutting down the device , the system has been locked down, to contact windows support. I know this is some sort of malware but not sure how to proceed with shutting down the...
  5. security pop up warning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    security pop up warning: My other laptop just had a pop up warning from windows defender security center, that advises not shutting down the device , the system has been locked down, to contact windows support. I know this is some sort of malware but not sure how to proceed with shutting down the...
  6. security pop up warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. microsoft security warning scam phone 1-888-970-5117

microsoft security warning scam phone 1-888-970-5117: While ELDERLY USER searching for COD RECIPE.CLICKED ON "SOMETHING"GOOGLE CHROME POPUP "microsoft security warning phone 1-888-970-5117"RESOLVED: TASK MANAGER "END TASK" GOOGLE CHROMEFULL VIRUS SCAN - NO THREATS FOUNDGOOGLE CHROME SECURITY CHECK - OKPASS IT ON...
  8. scam purportedly from Microsoft

scam purportedly from Microsoft: so obviously a scam. I can supply e-mail headers on request.-----Original Message-----From: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** [mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***] Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 2:30 AMTo: artSubject: Account Deactivation Notice do...
  9. scam purporting to be Microsoft

scam purporting to be Microsoft: I received another scam call, from an ****,coming in as coming from my landline home telephone, purporting to be Microsoft, telling me that my license will be revoke, within 38-hours, if I do not respond! Of course, I opened the phone line, with ****, and responding, again,...
  10. fake phone calls purporting to be from microsoft support

fake phone calls purporting to be from microsoft support: It's nice microsoft is cluing us in on this. Too bad they make NO mention of the troll on this and other MS Community boards who send a message purporting to be from microsoft and asking for your IP address and other info. Yea, right....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. avk targets

2. avk target scam

3. microsoft windows phone scam 2018

4. avk target 10,
  5. telephone scams proporting to be from microsoft,
  6. I received a phone call that my drivers license had been compromised,
  7. windows security scam pop up,
  8. calls from microsoft wanting to change ip address,
  9. phone scam microsoft license must be terminated in 48 hours,
  10. phone call pop up on computer windows,
  11. microsoft security warning popup scam 2018,