Windows 10: Phony Microsoft Tech Support Scam

Discus and support Phony Microsoft Tech Support Scam in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; DANGER!! Almost as soon as I posted a notice pertaining to a performance issue in the M-365 Forum, I received an email from a "Richard Miller71" with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KMJU, Oct 10, 2020.

1. KMJU Win User

Phony Microsoft Tech Support Scam

DANGER!!

Almost as soon as I posted a notice pertaining to a performance issue in the M-365 Forum, I received an email from a "Richard Miller71" with the following text: Note the bad English, which should raise a red flag

We apologize for the inconvenience you have faced.please reach out to Microsoft live Agent Directly to check your ssue -{903}-471-8613

When you call that number, "Richard" tells you to call 1-866-256-1029 in order to be connected to the correct technician. But that particular phone number is associated with the "fastsupport.gotoassist.com" scam, which will attempt to install malware on your machine and charge you a fee for doing so.

So beware. Forewarned is forearmed. The scammers obviously monitor these forums in order to acquire targets.

:)

2. My Father-in-Law fell victim to the phony Microsoft Tech Support Scam. Did you?

Yes it is a common scam.

Unsolicited phone calls, browser pop-ups and
    emails (aka
    Tech Support Scamming
    ) from "so-called Support Techs" advising
    "your computer is infected with malware",
    “All Your Files Are Encrypted"
    and other
    fake "alert messages"
    has become an increasing common scam tactic over the past several years. The scams may involve web pages with screenshots of fake Microsoft (Windows) Support messages, fake reports of suspicious activity, fake warnings of malware
    found on your computer,
    fake ransomware
    and fake
    BSODs
    all of which include a tech support phone number to call in order to fix the problem. If you call the phone number (or they called you), more nefarious scammers will talk their victims into allowing them remote control
    access of the computer so they can install a
    Remote Access Trojan
    in order to steal passwords and other sensitive personal information which could then be used to access bank accounts or steal a person's identity.

These are a few examples.

The scammer may claim to be affiliated with Microsoft or
    Windows Support
    . However, there have been reports of scammers claiming to be affiliated with major computer manufacturers such as
    Hewlett Packard, Lenovo and Dell, familiar security vendors like
    Symantec, Panda, McAfee, etc. and even popular
    ISPs.

Microsoft does not contact users via web page messages, phone or email and instruct them to call tech support to fix your computer.

Not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers...then report them to the appropriate authorities.

If you are dealing with browser pop-up scams, closing the web browser and then relaunching it usually eliminates the bogus warning message and is the best way to deal with these scams. If the browser freezes or hangs, you may have to close
    it with
    Windows Task Manager
    by selecting End Task.

Scammers and cyber-criminals are very innovated...see
    Tech Support Scams use new Tricks to Hold Browsers Hostage
    . They are always developing creative and more sophisticated techniques to scare their victims into providing personal information or stealing their money for financial
    gain. The criminals can target specific browsers like Microsoft Edge,
    Google Chrome, specific devices like Apple and even your
    iPhone or iPad.

For more information about how these scams work and resources to protect yourself, please read
    Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams...there
    are suggestions near the bottom for dealing with scams and a list of security scanning tools to use in case the usual methods do not resolve the problem or you allowed remote access into your computer.

Reporting Phone Fraud and Tech Support Scams:

quietman7 - MVP, Oct 10, 2020
  3. RickCP Win User
  4. Smeed Win User

Smeed, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Phony Microsoft Tech Support Scam - Similar Threads - Phony Microsoft Tech

2. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  3. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  4. Tech support scam popup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tech support scam popup: A tech support scam page just popped up as I was online, claiming it is my Windows Defender Security Center. WHAT do I do now? How to get rid of it and keep my computer safe? I have not touched anything on the screen/page since it popped up. And I have few technical computer...
  5. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: I fell for a tech support scam a long time ago and the refund overpayment scam I got my money back for the refund scam and now ever since December 2019, they have been ringing me non-stop. Tried blocking the numbers nut they always ring back on different numbers. Any advice?...
  6. tech support scams

tech support scams: What if someone did give remote access to one of these tech support scams? What can they expect and what do they do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/tech-support-scams/6cf84899-3796-4dda-a0d6-d9f1eaad6b41
  7. Tech support scam?

Tech support scam?: Hello everyone. I have received 3 calls this morning from an uknown number. On the first 2 after hearing "hello" i hung up. I live in Greece and thought that it was a mistake. They called a third time in which i talked to them. They told me that they were calling from...
  8. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Hello, I received a call which turns out to be the Www.support.me scam I suspected it was something bogus but played along (making him repeat everything a number o times) until reaching the point where he wanted me to connect to www.support.me. At which point he got...
  9. Fake Tech Support Scam

Fake Tech Support Scam: Hi all, I've seen a lot of talk on here of fake tech support taking control of computers to help you fix "problems" with your computer. I was in a panic when i got this fake notification and didn't know what to do so I called and let the person take control of my computer. I...
  10. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Is myphonesupport a scam? Or are they parteners with microsoft? Made no payments to them and did not allow remote connection. Just want to make sure I talked to safe people....