Windows 10: Photo and other Window apps not working

Discus and support Photo and other Window apps not working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Greetings, After I had to add this computer to my Microsoft account in order to reinstall HP Scan I was no longer able to transfer photos from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Twondering, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Photo and other Window apps not working

Greetings,

After I had to add this computer to my Microsoft account in order to reinstall HP Scan I was no longer able to transfer photos from my phone (via cable) to PC. I did a system restore but it froze and after two + hours of it 'processing' I restarted the computer. (Asus, Windows 10, x64)

Now, when trying to use or open the Photo app it says: This app can’t open. Check the Windows store for more info about Photos. The same applies for the apps: Camera, Feedback Hub, HP Smart, Translator, Video Editor. Each of those, when looking at them on Powershell Get-AppxPackage, say that their status is: DependencyIssue whereas those apps that are working say: OK

On troubleshooter the current result is:

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

I have done the following with no success:

- Settings - App troubleshooter – both repair and reset – no change

- Reinstalled Windows 10 using Create Windows 10 Installation Media

- Since I couldn’t uninstall these apps via troubleshooter I went to Powershell (administrator) to reinstall all apps on this computer as well as:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow’

Everything said it was fine. (but the issue was still unresolved)

- Uninstalled Photo app via Powershell Administrator Get-AppxPackage *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage

- Reinstalled Photo app from Windows Store, however; the app says it is installed and but only on Windows Store. It does not show up as a working app and remains unable to open (still the same message: This app can't open...)

I have restarted the computer and nothing has changed. Please advise as to how to repair especially the Photo app so that I can transfer photos from my phone (via cable) to my PC.

Thank you for your assistance.

:)

Twondering, Oct 15, 2018

2. WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Photos app not working

Hello,

We'll be glad to help. Let's go ahead and get the issue resolved.

We would suggest you to follow the following methods listed below.

Method: 1

Try running windows app troubleshooter & check if the issue persists.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Method: 2

Follow the below steps to update apps from store.

• Open Windows store.
    • Click on the sign in icon next to the search option.
    • Select the option download & update.
    • Click on the check for the updates.
    Method: 3

We would recommend you to uninstall the Photo app using Windows PowerShell command and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.
      • get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage
    After performing the above steps, install the Photo app from the Windows store.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Photos app for Windows help.

Let us know if these methods been helpful to you. If the issue persists, send us a message and we'll be here to help you further.

Thank you.

Noreen Mon, Oct 15, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Photo and other Window apps not working

Windows photo app is not working

Hi,

It is possible that the file association of the Photo app is set again as default that is why it says
    The app didn't start. To efficiently assist you, we'd like to verify few things:

• When you tried the troubleshooting steps are you getting the same error message?
    • Does this happen with photo app only or with other application?

Meanwhile, we suggest you download and run Windows Apps Troubleshooter by clicking on this
    link. This will automatically diagnose Windows apps/Store concern and will provide a remedy.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

Photo and other Window apps not working

1. Photo and other Window apps not working - Similar Threads - Photo Window apps

2. photo app not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photo app not working: I have my photo app open however it is not showing any of my files or pictures. All is black and even when i relaunch it, it still the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-not-working/20d8f6e7-7e2c-4cf0-9be0-ae36cbac5e98
  3. Windows Photo App Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photo App Not Working: All of a sudden my Windows Photo App isn’t opening my pics. I’ve tried deleting the app, repairing & reseting it. I set a different app as my default photo app but the same error comes up from the windows photo app? Not sure what else to do can do. Can someone please help me....
  4. Windows Photo App Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Photo App Not Working: All of a sudden my Windows Photo App isn’t opening my pics. I’ve tried deleting the app, repairing & reseting it. I set a different app as my default photo app but the same error comes up from the windows photo app? Not sure what else to do can do. Can someone please help me....
  5. Photos app not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos app not working: I have an HP laptop with windows 10. Very new laptop. Every time I try to double click a photo it opens the photos app but blank screen. After I close it the photo doesn't open again and only after a while it opens. This has been very frustrating, any fix? submitted by...
  6. Photos app not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos app not working: submitted by /u/nancy7997 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ig4fus/photos_app_not_working/
  7. Photos App Not Working

Photos App Not Working: My pictures will not open. I get an error message that says the jpg file cannot be found. I've tried to reset, repair, and update but nothing works. I even tried to download from the Microsoft store but still no resolution. I see on forums that others have the same...
  8. Windows Photo App NOT Working

Windows Photo App NOT Working: My Windows Photo App isn't working Error Message is as follows, C:\[File Name].jpg The App didn't start. Tried Troubleshooting, Repair & Reset Please Help...
  9. Photos will not open in photo app but will in all other apps - already JPEG

Photos will not open in photo app but will in all other apps - already JPEG: Photos will not open in photo app but will in all other apps - already in JPEG form. I can even attach to emails but the regular photo viewer will not open them it says file location can not be found....but every other application can locate them just fine. This occurs on...
  10. Windows 10 Photos app - Edits some photos but not others

Windows 10 Photos app - Edits some photos but not others: This is driving me crazy. I have PhotoShop which runs fine under win10 bty BUT I really like the little Photos app for quick editing however. It doesn't work all the time. The app itself never fails to launch but with about half of the pictures that I try to edit give me...