Windows 10: Photo App Crashes

Discus and support Photo App Crashes in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Damn, not for me. I uninstalled it, went to the store, reinstalled it and upon opening it crashes. Oh well. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by abn505, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Photo App Crashes

Damn, not for me. I uninstalled it, went to the store, reinstalled it and upon opening it crashes. Oh well.

Gator5000e, Sep 7, 2015

2. Did you reboot between the uninstall and the reinstall? I did, and I think that's necessary.

Oh, and if this still doesn't work, you might try going into power options and uncheck (disable) the fast boot option. Fast boot utilizes a page file/hibernation file that saves startup settings like which drivers to load, etc instead of letting the computer reset these each time it starts up. It might be keeping the old photo app settings. By unchecking fast boot it should flush these out.

larryvogel, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Thanks but I don't see that option under the Power Options in Settings or Control Panel Power Options.

Gator5000e, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Photo App Crashes

larryvogel, Sep 7, 2015
  5. I will give that a try, but I noticed something when I just tried to open the Photos app. When the program screen loads, in the bottom left corner of the screen are two links. One is for log in (or something similar) an the other is for settings. The screen crashes quickly so I can't do anything with the links, but I am wondering if the problem related to an account issue? When you open the Photos app, do you see a log in link or are you logged in already?

I don't know. I've just uninstalled again and will reboot and try one more time.

Gator5000e, Sep 8, 2015
  6. Also, when I go back into the Store to reinstall the app, it says Owned under it, so i am wondering if it's somehow tied to my account and reinstalling the same problematic app? In the sample screen shot, the app has the name of the account owner in the lower left hand screen. Mine says log in, as I said. So maybe there is a connection there.

I would like to hear if you have the log in link in the bottom left hand corner of the screen when the app opens up. And did you have to log in when it first opened? Or was it already logged in to your account?

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions.

Gator5000e, Sep 8, 2015
  7. Away from my computer for a few hours. Will get back to you later, ok?

larryvogel, Sep 8, 2015
  8. Photo App Crashes

Of course, no problem. Thanks.

I will add one last thing. When I reinstalled the app from the store, I noticed it said restoring user info or data or something similar. I don't think the fast boot will fix this. I think this is a log in problem. But I have many issues with W10 so i will add this to the mix.

Gator5000e, Sep 8, 2015
  9. I do have a login logo verifying that I'm logged into my MS account. But when I reinstalled, the first thing it did was ask me to log in, so I think you're on the right track since you got a restoring user data message when you reinstalled.

When I deleted the photo app, I followed the instructions here: Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums, and under the section: "3. To Remove a Built-in Windows 10 App from Current Account" there's a string to paste into the powershell.exe command line for the photo app: Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage. I pasted it in, hit enter, and got the message that it was successful. I then rebooted, reinstalled the Photo app from the store (it did not say I already owned it), started it, and it prompted me to sign in. I did, it started loading up my photos, and seems to be working as it's designed to do.

Thinking you might have pasted the wrong string into the powershell? The one I copy/pasted is supposed to "remove a built-in app from the current account", which it apparently did since it prompted me to sign in when I reinstalled. I also suspect that if you haven't disabled the fast startup, it could just be reloading your old information when it boots instead of dumping and refreshing.

Honestly, I'm as much in the dark about the arcane details of how win 10 works as anyone...hope some of these suggestions help. If not, I'm pretty much out of ideas.

If you get it working, please post back and let me and everyone know, OK?

larryvogel, Sep 8, 2015
  10. Larry, thank you for your suggestions. I found this thread in one of the Microsoft Communities where a MS engineer admits there is a serious issue and that MS is working on this. The last acknowledgment by this engineer was on August 25. Nothing posted since. Here is the thread. If I'm not allowed to post it, please take it down.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...525ea2f?page=1

I still think my issue has something to do with logging into my account. The app opens for a second or two than crashes. The line near the bottom says Sign In. It doesn't stay open long enough to allow that, although I suspect it should be signed in when I open the app. Anyway, I guess I will wait to see if MS can solve this issue. Again, thanks for all your help.

Gator5000e, Sep 8, 2015
  11. Yeah Gator...it's also my feeling that it's a sign-in issue. My photo app was working perfectly until I tried to sign in. The first two tries it didn't accept my Microsoft id and password (which other MS services accept just fine). Then it gave me a choice of a one-time sign-in to the app, which I tried, and it immediately crashed. When I finally uninstalled and reinstalled the first thing it did was prompt me to sign in, which I did, it accepted it just fine, and is now working again. But the live tile feature has yet to appear again, which I kinda miss. Windows: it can make grown men weep.

larryvogel, Sep 8, 2015
  12. Larry, thank you. Ah, the growing pains of a new OS. Love it....not.

Gator5000e, Sep 8, 2015
  13. Photo App Crashes

Whoa! My Photo app live tile just magically re-appeared! I have absolutely no idea why. This is one seriously quirky app.

larryvogel, Sep 8, 2015
  14. Just saw this. Congratulations!! Almost like having a kid. Ha! Seriously, glad it's working for you.

Gator5000e, Sep 9, 2015
  15. Computer is running Windows 10, upgrade from Windows 7. Photos App had been working but has been crashing right after launching now.

app version:
    Microsoft Photos 16.1118.10000.0

This was a quick fix that worked for this computer.

1.Check to make sure Updates and Maintenance are current.

Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance
    Expand the Maintenance section and "Start maintenance"

Photo App Crashes [​IMG]

This is the "hard" part, it's kind of like playing wack-a-mole, you may have to try a few times to get it before the app crashes. Right after opening the Photo App, click on the three dots on the top right (the "see more") then select and click on "Settings"

Photo App Crashes [​IMG]

Photo App Crashes [​IMG]

Turn Off "Automatically enhance my photos"

Photo App Crashes [​IMG]

Once this was off, Photo App will no longer crash on load *Smile You can now view and update your photo collection.

**The App will still crash when you go to "Edit" a photo** *Sad

I'll see if I can find out why the enhancement previews are crashing on launch and in the Edit mode. I will update this post if I find a fix.

*chuckle*chuckle*UPDATE**chuckle*chuckle
    This PC is running a nvidia GTX 970. I updated to the latest driver, 376.33 released on 12/15/16 (just a few days ago) and restarted the Computer. Now the Windows Photo App is playing nicely, no more crashes for enhancement previews, or in edit mode. It seems there was an update to the App that didn't play nice with the last driver, and the next driver version corrected it.

Blargblarg, Dec 22, 2016
Thema:

Photo App Crashes

1. Photo App Crashes - Similar Threads - Photo App Crashes

2. Photos app crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app crashes: I have had this same problem with Windows Photo App for quite a while now, on two different systems. I can open the app and import photos no problems at all, but as soon as I try and open a single photo after importing, the app crashes. It doesn't happen if I open the app...
  3. Photos-App Crash

Photos-App Crash: Hi all, Since a Photo-App Update believe some months ago, it happens sometime that the App crashes by doubleclicking on a .jpg file. In 80% it works with no problems. Sometimes after waiting very long, the App crashes. After closing the App and retry, the App will work fine...
  4. Photos app crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Photos app crash: Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2020.20070.10002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: MoBEX Package Full Name:...
  5. Photos App Crashing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos App Crashing: Hi all, I have searched for a solution to this problem for some time, but nothing seems to work for me. Just putting out a message in a bottle here one more time to see if anyone has anything further to add: When I open the Photos app, I get a black window for about 2...
  6. Photos App Crashes

Photos App Crashes: For the last few days this App has crashed whenever I use it. I have reset the app. No effect I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. No effect I have recently used the "Free up space now" Setting in Windows. I am wondering if this deleted something that the...
  7. Photo app crashing

Photo app crashing: How can I stop the photo app crashing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-crashing/27466ee1-a80a-484f-9669-914d58930204
  8. photo app crashing

in Windows 10 Customization
    photo app crashing: the microsoft photos app keeps closing and i cant view any of my photos as it keeps saying system error. i have tried repair, reset and uninstall and none of them work. what else can be done?...
  9. photos app crashes

photos app crashes: The Windows 10 update on 6/11/2018 has cause my photo app to crash immediately on startup. I reinstalled photo, but I continuously get a file systems error (-2147279796) come on MS get it fixed please !...
  10. Photo App Crashing

Photo App Crashing: When double clicking an image I get the Photo App load screen. The image may render for a second or the App simply crashes. Its somewhat intermittent, but it seems to work with more frequency when I go directly to the Photo App itself. I'm not quite sure what's going on with...