Windows 10: Photo app recently changed to only allow folders backed up to OneDrive

Discus and support Photo app recently changed to only allow folders backed up to OneDrive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The "import new photos" feature has been very useful, from back in Windows 7 days up to the Photos app now in Windows 7, but a new modification has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Big_Bob_1998, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Photo app recently changed to only allow folders backed up to OneDrive

The "import new photos" feature has been very useful, from back in Windows 7 days up to the Photos app now in Windows 7, but a new modification has made it useless to me. Now when I try to import photos, it switched the destination to OneDrive, and if I try to change it using the link, instead of just letting me choose which folder I want to use, the "OK" box says "Add this folder to Pictures", which means OneDrive immediately starts uploading them and shortly tells me my storage is full.

While OneDrive is fine for someone with a GB or two of photos/videos, I have over 800GB of photos, and if it starts adding my new photos to a OneDrive backed-up folder instead of just letting me choose the folder I've always been using for new photos, I'll be having to buy a bunch of OneDrive space I don't need or want. OneDrive is great, but not for those of us who have many GB or TB of photos, and especially the raw unsorted files from the camera, many of which will be discarded when we get to sorting them.

Why have they changed this app? It's made it useless to me, and I can certainly open the camera location in a folder, and choose and copy the files that are new, but now I have to figure out which ones were previously imported.

Or perhaps I should just fire up my old Windows 7 computer, slide in the card, and have it automatically import new files just like it's been doing for years, without forcing me to do it manually or buy cloud storage I don't need.

This won't force me into buying a TB or so of OneDrive space, it will only force me to stop using the app, unless I can find a setting, registry hack, or modification to stop this silly situation. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...your recent "fix" just made it useless to me.

:)

Big_Bob_1998, Dec 12, 2020
  2. jcmoss Win User

recent photos windows 8.1 photo hub

is there a way to delete the recent photos folder from the onedrive folder in the photos app on windows phone 8.1/denim ?

I have the following folders listed:

camera roll

recent photos

shared with me

onedrive albums which contains videos

saved pictures

would like to delete the recent photos folder,please help

thank you

jcmoss, Dec 12, 2020
  3. WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

Photos help

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Dec 12, 2020
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Photo app recently changed to only allow folders backed up to OneDrive

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Photo app recently changed to only allow folders backed up to OneDrive

1. Photo app recently changed to only allow folders backed up to OneDrive - Similar Threads - Photo app recently

2. Why does windows photos back up to onedrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does windows photos back up to onedrive?: Hello.I am trying to migrate ALL photo's out of my iPhone and store them onto my photo's app on my Surface Laptop windows 11.For some reason, by default, my photos are syncing to ONEDRIVE and on that i only have 5GB storage but the photos i need to download are about 50GB. I...
  3. Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive: Hello,I am using Windows 11 with two drives: one for the OS and software, the other for personal files. I also use OneDrive to store my files online. The OneDrive folder is on my second non-OS drive, and I have set it so all the files are also available locally.I want to...
  4. Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive

Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive: Hello,I am using Windows 11 with two drives: one for the OS and software, the other for personal files. I also use OneDrive to store my files online. The OneDrive folder is on my second non-OS drive, and I have set it so all the files are also available locally.I want to...
  5. Restoring folders and apps on desktop backed up with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring folders and apps on desktop backed up with OneDrive: I backed up my desktop folders and some apps with OneDrive. Though after the back up I unlink my pc from the drive, so when I am trying to create a new folder to desktop they all disappear with the old ones. I can still find all these folders and apps in OneDrive but the...
  6. Restoring folders and apps on desktop backed up with OneDrive

Restoring folders and apps on desktop backed up with OneDrive: I backed up my desktop folders and some apps with OneDrive. Though after the back up I unlink my pc from the drive, so when I am trying to create a new folder to desktop they all disappear with the old ones. I can still find all these folders and apps in OneDrive but the...
  7. Restoring folders and apps on desktop backed up with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Backing up the OneDrive folder...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up the OneDrive folder...: Hello guys, I am trying to create a local backup for my OneDrive folder on my external hard drive. Here is the problem: My OneDrive folder is about 800 GB in size, but most of them are only placeholder files on my device online-only files for which a placeholder has been...
  9. Unable to remove Onedrive folder in Photos App !!

Unable to remove Onedrive folder in Photos App !!: I do not wish to have the Photos App show photos from ../users/my/Onedrive/pictures . Therefore, I removed the folder from the Settings>Sources. But then the folder comes back ! I remove it... it comes back.... and again ... again! Why does 'delete' not mean 'delete'!?...
  10. File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder: I have been having a problem with File History not reliably backing up all changes in my OneDrive folder for several months and have yet to find a solution for it. I have my OneDrive folder selected as one to be backed up, but every time I run a backup, only some changes get...