Windows 10: Photo app will not start

Discus and support Photo app will not start in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I click on the photos app, it opens briefly and then it closes seconds later without any warning. The same thing happens when I plug my phone in.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Zach_A., Feb 13, 2019.

1. Zach_A. Win User

Photo app will not start

When I click on the photos app, it opens briefly and then it closes seconds later without any warning. The same thing happens when I plug my phone in. I have not been able to upload photos and videos from my phone to my computer as a result. This is a default app. Please help me as this problem is very annoying!

:)

Zach_A., Feb 13, 2019

2. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Feb 13, 2019
  3. WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Feb 13, 2019
  4. kormath Win User

Photo app will not start

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Photo app will not start :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

Photo app will not start

1. Photo app will not start - Similar Threads - Photo app start

2. Photos app are not starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos app are not starting: I am unable to open Photos app. The app didn't start error message https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-are-not-starting/b663a5f7-a6a9-49d4-80b2-48ae8c5d4293
  3. Photos app are not starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app are not starting: I am unable to open Photos app. The app didn't start error message https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-are-not-starting/b663a5f7-a6a9-49d4-80b2-48ae8c5d4293
  4. Microsoft Photos App will not start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos App will not start: It seems this is a problem that has no definitive solution, I too have spent hours trolling through forums trying to find a fix but have just about given up.I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling via Powershell admin "get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos*...
  5. Photos app didn't start

Photos app didn't start: mind the formatting I've been at this **** for hours now. tried the windows app troubleshooter, useless as always. tried reset and repair, nothing. can't open microsoft store because of course that has to also be broken. tried wsreset.exe that also didn't start. tried:...
  6. Photos App 'The App didn't start.'

Photos App 'The App didn't start.': 'Photos' gives me the source and address of the image but simply states, 'The App didn't start.' I have used Powershell to uninstall and reinstall the app. I have uninstalled the app and downloaded it again from the Microsoft Store. But still no joy. What can I do next?...
  7. Photos app didn't start.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Photos app didn't start.: Help. Microsoft Photos app won't work. When trying to open from app tile, app opens then immediately closes. When trying to open by clicking a photo, I get the error message "App didn't start". I've already tried the following: - Making sure all updates are installed -...
  8. Photos App refuses to start.

Photos App refuses to start.: Hi, as the title says I'm experiencing some extreme difficulty with my photos app. Upon attempting to open any image file I'm presented with this same error for all of them: [ATTACH] I've gone through multiple different support threads and done everything I've seen...
  9. Photos app didn't start

Photos app didn't start: I always use Windows Photos app to view photos, and then suddenly one day it just stop working. It won't open again. it says "The app didn't start" just like the picture here[ATTACH]...
  10. Microsoft Photo app will not start

Microsoft Photo app will not start: After the July Windows 10 update the microsoft photos will not start. I've removed the photo app and reinstalled it with the same problem. what is the fix?????...