Windows 10: Photo app won't open JPEG files

Discus and support Photo app won't open JPEG files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to open JPEG files in the photo app and I get an error message that this file format is not supported. How do I fix that? Same thing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PLB57, Dec 5, 2020.

1. PLB57 Win User

Photo app won't open JPEG files

I am trying to open JPEG files in the photo app and I get an error message that this file format is not supported. How do I fix that? Same thing happens with photoviewer or photo gallery

:)

PLB57, Dec 5, 2020

2. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Dec 5, 2020
  3. windows 10 apps won,t open

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Windows app troubleshooter.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 2: Run shell commands for Windows store and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin)
      to open elevated Command prompt.

• Type the following commands.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

• Hit enter, the blackscreen will appear still for a couple of seconds. After a couple of second a new line saying C:\.... will appear.

• Close Command Prompt.

• Try to start the Windows Store again.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Dec 5, 2020
  4. philc43 Win User

Open with another app 'photos'

I've just checked my own and for comparison this is what appears when selecting open with for a .jpg photo file:

Photo app won't open JPEG files [​IMG]

If I select an image file which doesn't have associations set such as a GIMP .xcf file I see an open with... and clicking this gets to the alternative windows apps selection box:

I wonder if this gives you a clue to what your missing app should be?

philc43, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Photo app won't open JPEG files - Similar Threads - Photo app won't

2. Photos app won't print JPEG images.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos app won't print JPEG images.: I work in IT at a public library. Some of our PCs accidently got updated to Windows 11, so we rolled back to 10. But now these PCs cannot print JPEG images anymore, at least not from the default Photos app. I just get an error about printer configuration. Has anyone had this...
  3. Keeping photos (jpegs) open on desktop and in file folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Keeping photos (jpegs) open on desktop and in file folders: When I save a Jpeg photo to my desktop or in file folders they do not show the photo. All they show is a blue coloured square with the word jpeg. In Windows 7 all my Jpegs would stay open(showing the photo) both on the desktop and in my file folders. Why can't I do this in...
  4. Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files: Hello Windows 10 can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files in Photo viewer/Photos/Paint app. windows edition - Windows 10 Pro windows version - 2004 Installed on - 2020-07-16 OS build - 19041.388 Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  5. Microsoft Photos App won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos App won't open: Hallo everybody! I experienced some problem with my laptop. Every time I tried to open the Microsoft Photos App it won't open. I am aware that all my photos are safe in my computer but the use of the app was very friendly and easy to manage and I really would like to have...
  6. Photos app won't open

Photos app won't open: My Photos app won't open. It was fine a couple of days ago. When I click on the picture icon on the start menu I can see my pictures, but I cannot open them. It won't open under another user profile either. I have tried repair, reset and I uninstalled and reinstalled the...
  7. Photos will not open in photo app but will in all other apps - already JPEG

Photos will not open in photo app but will in all other apps - already JPEG: Photos will not open in photo app but will in all other apps - already in JPEG form. I can even attach to emails but the regular photo viewer will not open them it says file location can not be found....but every other application can locate them just fine. This occurs on...
  8. saving, then later opening photos {jpeg]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    saving, then later opening photos {jpeg]: on closing my photos look like saved in a file form I and my computer does not recognise. it looks like a revers of windows photos, white mountain blues sky. and will not open Help...
  9. Opening JPEG files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening JPEG files: How can I get Windows 10 to open my JPEG files? The system suddenly decided to tell me it was unable to open my photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-jpeg-files/a69fd195-ca55-4a53-acf0-87e0a756b387
  10. Photo apps won't open photo files

Photo apps won't open photo files: Out of the blue I can no longer open photo files like PNG, JPG, etc. and don't know when this started. I can select open with Windows Photo Viewer and it will open fine but if I close that file and reopen again I get an error "The app didn't start". Nor can I open any other...