Windows 10: Photo apps won't open photo files

Discus and support Photo apps won't open photo files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Out of the blue I can no longer open photo files like PNG, JPG, etc. and don't know when this started. I can select open with Windows Photo Viewer and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mccoady, Jan 30, 2018.

1. mccoady Win User

Photo apps won't open photo files

Out of the blue I can no longer open photo files like PNG, JPG, etc. and don't know when this started. I can select open with Windows Photo Viewer and it will open fine but if I close that file and reopen again I get an error "The app didn't start". Nor can I open any other files it only works the first time you try to open with a given app.

If I select open Picasa Photo Viewer it will again open one of those files but won't reopen if I close it... I get the error screen. Any ideas?

:)

mccoady, Jan 30, 2018
  2. DanDolgin Win User

Problem with the Windows Photo App. Next photo will not open

I have windows 10 and am using the Windows photo app, not windows photo viewer. I can open the first photo, but it won't open the next photo. I click the right arrow to view the next photo, but it won't do anything. I manually open the next photo, but
    it still won't open the next one. They are sorted in reverse chronological order, so newest photos are viewed first. I tried using "slideshow", but it won't work either, it just keeps opening the same photo over and over. I don't know if it doesn't work
    if the photo file is too big. It seems to work when I open some of the older photos, but not the recent ones. I tried the old windows photo viewer, which is part of windows media player. That app works, but it won't open the files in the right order, when
    I click "next" on old windows photo viewer, it will open a completely different photo as next. It may work only alphabetical, which is useless if you want to view the photos in chronological order. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know if the viewer
    has a size limitation or not. Most people these days have photos with more and more megapixels.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

DanDolgin, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Photos: Arrow No Longer Appears at Bottom

Alright, I might suggest resetting the Photos app (that won't hurt your photo files, only resets the app used to view them). But first, can I ask if your keyboard left/right arrows correctly take you to the next or previous photo in the folder you opened
    it from? And by the way, about how many photos are in the folder you opened the photo from?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 30, 2018
  4. Steve C Win User

Check your file associations for the app you want to use. Which is your preferred app for opening photo files?

Steve C, Jan 31, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    What happens if you simply launch the program from a shortcut (start menu) rather than via its association with a file? Does the program launch correctly?

Try some basic checks:
    Check your disk.
    Download and install Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and run it- post a screenshot of its GUI.
    To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

Check your file system.From an admin command or Powershell prompt run
    chkdsk c: /scan
    and post the summary result.

Then run SFC /SCANNOW and post the result.

dalchina, Jan 31, 2018
  6. mccoady Win User
    Thanks guys it was the file associations it was set to Photos but after I changed it to Picasa Photo Viewer it's working again. Not sure why Photos Viewer quit working but using Picasa is fine.

mccoady, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Photo apps won't open photo files - Similar Threads - Photo apps won't

2. Photo app changes photo on opening it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo app changes photo on opening it.: I am a photographer and only just bought an acer aspire 5 with windows 11. I noticed that every time I open a RAW photo in the photos app it appears the right colours and shades first then changes the entire photo to a darker one like it was being modified. unfortunately I am...
  3. Photo microsoft app not openning photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo microsoft app not openning photos: Photo app does not open any photos, but if I select modify/edit the image, then I am able to open it. What could be the solution here.thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-microsoft-app-not-openning-photos/57eeae5d-c54b-452c-8f46-1a232234d956
  4. Photo app won't open JPEG files

Photo app won't open JPEG files: I am trying to open JPEG files in the photo app and I get an error message that this file format is not supported. How do I fix that? Same thing happens with photoviewer or photo gallery...
  5. photos won't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    photos won't open: When I try to open pictures, I get an error message that says:"The file couldn't be opened.Sorry,this file is corrupted and cannot be opened." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-wont-open/3e910995-ddaa-4d4b-b7a8-165b26e48fab
  6. Microsoft Photos App won't open

Microsoft Photos App won't open: Hallo everybody! I experienced some problem with my laptop. Every time I tried to open the Microsoft Photos App it won't open. I am aware that all my photos are safe in my computer but the use of the app was very friendly and easy to manage and I really would like to have...
  7. pctures won't open in photo app.

pctures won't open in photo app.: I click on the picture I want to view, it comes up with the black screen in attempt to load and the a pop up comes up saying the app didn't load. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pctures-wont-open-in-photo-app/40fd9349-f3d2-440c-a2f3-7a11e128f7cb"
  8. Photos app won't open

Photos app won't open: My Photos app won't open. It was fine a couple of days ago. When I click on the picture icon on the start menu I can see my pictures, but I cannot open them. It won't open under another user profile either. I have tried repair, reset and I uninstalled and reinstalled the...
  9. Photos App won't open anymore

Photos App won't open anymore: A few days ago, I was cleaning out my storage using the built-in storage cleaner on my Surface Pro 5 but ever since I did that, Photos has just stopped working. Whenever I tried to open a picture, I get an error message saying "The app didn't start". I've tried all the...
  10. Photos won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Photos won't open: Computer has been freezing like crazy but since last update when I try to open my photos I get the message.... This app can't open. There's a problem with Photos. Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it. Tried the systems quick test but it...