Windows 10: Photo Gallery Live tags vs Photos app albums

Discus and support Photo Gallery Live tags vs Photos app albums in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm a longtime user of Photo Gallery Live, trying every once in a while to switch to the Win10 Photos app. The current hold-up for me, unless I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Amnon I. Govrin, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Photo Gallery Live tags vs Photos app albums

I'm a longtime user of Photo Gallery Live, trying every once in a while to switch to the Win10 Photos app.

The current hold-up for me, unless I am missing something, is that album info is not saved in the photo file like tags in Photo Gallery Live were.

I'll explain.

In PGL when I wanted to create a group of photos from many folders, I just added the same tag to all, which then allows me to filter by that tag.

In Photos app, I can add photos from different folders to an album, but as far as I know please correct me and tell me how the album doesn't travel with the photo in any way, so if I move my data HDD to a new machine like I just did a few weeks ago all album data is gone.

It would be so amazing if that would work the same way as tags - saved in the files, for example. It would be even better if you made albums interchangeable with tags, meaning that tagged photos from PGL would show up in automatically created albums with the same name and album names would be saved as tags in the photos.

From what I found at least from 2017 that it is not possible to move albums to a new machine.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/how-do-i-transfer-my-albums-in-windows-10-photos/8909ba91-3e29-4609-bc54-0cc0e3acc16f
    Is that still the case?
    If so, this will be a sad reason for me to continue and use Photo Gallery Live, because photo tags a way to create albums is saved in the photo file itself.
    It is really sad for me to still use the old program I actually worked at Microsoft with some of the people who PGL and not the new Photos app which has some benefits.

Please help if possible.

:)

Amnon I. Govrin, Oct 28, 2020
  2. RTurnock Win User

Maintain Photo Gallery tagging

From what I read the support for Windows (Live) Photo Gallery is fading but that Photos, as far I read and checked, doesn't maintain the tags.

I have 20k+ photos with all the people tagged. If I lose access to Photo Gallery is all the hundreds of hours of work lost?

As you can imagine this is a major issue and I'd be grateful for any insights.

Richard

RTurnock, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery

Start
    All Apps
    Photo Gallery and open it
    Along the top
    You can see people tagged
    Batch People Tagged
    Descriptive Tag
    Click on that one
    Up will come
    Tag an item
    Manage Tag
    Unused Tag
    Hope that is something you are looking for

hTconeM9user, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Edwin Win User

Photo Gallery Live tags vs Photos app albums

Re unable to find Windows Live Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery is Windows Live Photo Gallery, I think MS is just trying to lose the 'Live' moniker.

Edwin, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Photo Gallery Live tags vs Photos app albums

1. Photo Gallery Live tags vs Photos app albums - Similar Threads - Photo Gallery Live

2. Windows Live Photo gallery - People tagging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Live Photo gallery - People tagging: Hi, I've used WLPG over the years and it has been wonderful for photos of my ancestors - I've over the years tagged every photo with people tagging so I know 'who is who' in old wedding photos etc. WLPG isn't compatible with W10 - what program replaces that with People...
  3. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: How do I delete multiple pictures in one go https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/c42f91bf-f7c8-42d6-a97d-5c5f2dcf0a9d
  4. Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Live Photo Gallery: Does anyone know if there is a SAFE way to delete photos from live photo gallery that are duplicates other than selecting them 1 at a time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/cb3d64ff-698c-408c-8d43-40610e4c4b61
  5. Editing Photos in Windows Live Photo Gallery

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Editing Photos in Windows Live Photo Gallery: When editing photos in Windows Live Photo Gallery, how can you save an edit after zooming in on the subject. I ask this because I zoomed in on a photo subject but I could not figure out how to save the photo as zoomed. Am I missing something, or is this not possible to do?...
  6. Photo Gallery vs Pictures

Photo Gallery vs Pictures: There are more photos in Photo Gallery than in picture files. I tried to back up all my photos in Amazon photos, but not all pictures from Photo Gallery backed up. How do I back up ALL photos?...
  7. Windows live photo gallery and photo viewer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows live photo gallery and photo viewer: My desktop crashed and performed a recovery. When I did I noticed that Windows live photo gallery and photo viewer are missing. At this point I don't know how to recover these default apps. Can a live agent assist me? I can be reached at 626-388-3903 or at *** Email...
  8. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: I cannot find Live Photo Gallery. I understand it is no longer available. Do I have other options for photo fuse? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-live-photo-gallery/0aff1cc1-f85d-44ae-bd0d-8caa46b6d488
  9. Photos Live Gallery

Photos Live Gallery: I know Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Live Photo Gallery, but - like a lot of people - I really liked it and was using it until I did a Windows 10 Refresh (re-installed automatically). It then disappeared and I cannot find it anywhere to re-install. Can anyone help? I...
  10. Maintain Photo Gallery tagging

Maintain Photo Gallery tagging: From what I read the support for Windows (Live) Photo Gallery is fading but that Photos, as far I read and checked, doesn't maintain the tags. I have 20k+ photos with all the people tagged. If I lose access to Photo Gallery is all the hundreds of hours of work lost? As...