Windows 10: Photo import hangs

Discus and support Photo import hangs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In the last few months I have not been able to use the automatic import function in the Photos app, as it hangs shortly after the import window opens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mor10, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Mor10 Win User

Photo import hangs

In the last few months I have not been able to use the automatic import function in the Photos app, as it hangs shortly after the import window opens and starts filling it with photos from my source. Using an SD card directly into my Surface Book2, or connecting my Nikon D850 causes the same result every time. I then have to stop the Photo app using the Task Manager, then I can do a manual copy from the SD card to the destination folder.

On one occasion I did uninstall Photos and reinstall it and then the import worked at least once, but I can't remember if it was dead the next time. At least it did not last long before it stopped working.

I first had the problem in 1803, and 1809 has the same problem.

Anybody else experienced this issue?

:)

Mor10, Oct 21, 2018
  2. Ruz San Win User

importing photos

Thank you for clearing that out. It looks like you are importing the files using the Photos app. When you import photos using this app, the files get imported into your Pictures library. To view these files, refer to these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the list of folders on the left side of the window, click on Pictures. You shall see the photos imported from the SD card using the Photos app.

Another option you have is to import the files solely using File Explorer. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect the SD card into the computer.
    • Launch File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Locate your SD card under Devices and drives.
    • Double-click on the SD card.
    • Manually choose which photos to move into your local folders. Right-click on each photo and choose
      Copy (Ctrl + C) then go to the destination folder then right-click on an empty space in the window and select
      Paste (Ctrl + V).
    • If you are importing all the photos, you can press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all of the files. Copy then Paste them into the destination folder.
    • If you are importing selective photos, hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the photos you want to copy. This will let you choose a number of photos instead of selecting all of them like what Step 7 suggests.

Once you're able to get the hang of the tricks, importing photos will not be a challenge anymore.

Tell us which method works best for you.

We're here if you need more help.

Ruz San, Oct 21, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Unable to import photos

Hi Georgio,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• How are you trying to import photos?
    • Are you getting any error message?
    You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your hardware and devices.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter
    I suggest you to refer the link below and check if it helps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/import-photos-videos

It applies to Windows 10 also.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you

Arun B J, Oct 21, 2018
  4. Photo import hangs

Import photos from SD Card in Photo Gallery using Autoplay

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Type Autoplay Settings in the Search box and press Enter.
    • Under Choose Autoplay defaults, select the option required from the drop down list for
      Removable drive and Memory card and close the Window.
    • Restart the system and check for status.
    I suggest you to try importing the photos using photo app as below and check if it helps.

• In the search box type photo.
    • Click on the photo app.
    • On the right hand top corner click on import option.
    • Before that you need to plug in SD card where you have saved the photos.
    Also refer the steps provided by
    Ruth Buruga
    replied on March 21, 2016 in the below link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-sd-card/3f4a557b-048f-4d0a-b660-ea5798ad07ca

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

Photo import hangs

1. Photo import hangs - Similar Threads - Photo import hangs

2. Importing Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Importing Photos: Is it possible to import photos automatically on windows 11? Like once I plug in my device it imports the pictures.Or another easier option would be if I plug in my phone it doesn't need to import photos immediately, but however, if I take a picture while its plugged in it...
  3. Importing photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Importing photos: In the last few months, I find the system does not create a new folder for my photos when I put the card in. Before, the system automatically created a new folder when I put the card in, and all the photos went into that folder. Now, the system just piles the photos up in...
  4. Importing photos

Importing photos: how do i import photos to the Windows Photos app in Window 10 not from a regular camera- from iphone or i-pad to my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/importing-photos/e7821f0e-af23-449d-a73e-5d700b884602
  5. photo import

photo import: i tried impirting photos from my android via usb cable to my laptop, however when i click import photos it tells me that zero items were found I changed the usb settings on my phone so to allow transfer images and the same issue keeps happening Why are my pictures and...
  6. Importing Photos

Importing Photos: How can I delete my photos from my SD card after importing them to my computer? It no longer gives me the option to delete them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/importing-photos/0b35164a-d3fa-4633-b3a9-b3cc8473f31d
  7. Importing photos

Importing photos: I recently upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10. I have a Pentax camera which was on the previous version. Since the upgrade I tried to download photos from my camera to my laptop but all mention of my camera from the Device Manager has disappeared. When connecting...
  8. Importing Photos

Importing Photos: Hi, can you help me please! We are trying to import photos from 2 different ipads to one PC. Some photos are held on both ipads & as a result we now appear to have duplicate photos that have been scanned awaiting import although only one ipad is connected at any one time....
  9. Photos Application Hangs When Importing The Photos.

Photos Application Hangs When Importing The Photos.: In the last few months I have not been able to use the automatic import function in the Photos app, as it hangs shortly after the import window opens and starts filling it with photos from my source. Using an SD card directly into my Surface Book2, or connecting my Nikon...
  10. photo import

photo import: windows 10 won't let me import photo's from my ipad pro - or my iphone - it does not seem to know it's there - I have said yes to the trust this computer when the message flashes up on my pad and phone but to no avail - HELP...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 iphone photos copying hangs

2. importing photos from iphone to pc and screens freezing on items found so far

3. windows photso app hangs on import

4. unable to copy phtos from d850 getting error,
  5. windows 10 iphone stalls,
  6. microsoft photos import hangs,
  7. windows photo import hangs,
  8. Photo app hangs on import,
  9. photos import from iphone hangs,
  10. windows 10 import photos freeze,
  11. import photos from iphone hangs,
  12. photo import stalls,
  13. windows photos hangs iphone,
  14. import photos stalls out every time at 1032,