Windows 10: Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order

Discus and support Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I store both RAW (CR2) and JPG versions of all my photos, with each folder sorted by type. Before Windows 10 this allowed me to view all the JPGs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by maxiesdemon, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order

I store both RAW (CR2) and JPG versions of all my photos, with each folder sorted by type. Before Windows 10 this allowed me to view all the JPGs without the CR2 (which take longer to load). The new version insists that I view both! How do I restore the original functionality.

:)

maxiesdemon, Apr 30, 2016

2. Pictures in File Explorer - Photos vs. Windows Photo Viewer

I have directories that contain picture files as well as video files. If I want to use a photo viewer to just see the picture files, I generally use Windows Photo Viewer. Unfortunately, in Windows 10, when you sort a directory to anything other than "name",
    Windows Photo Viewer does not recognize the sort feature and just shows the pictures in "name" order. In Windows 7, it would show the pictures in the same sort order as File Explorer.

Photos does the sort properly but also previews video files. I don't want Photos to preview video files.

Can you get Windows Photo Viewer to show the pictures in the same order as File Explorer, or get Photos not to show video files?

Martin Gaida, Apr 30, 2016
  3. todd-r Win User
    change photo order in slideshow

I've found a lot of people with problems and/or workarounds for photo size issues with Windows Photo Viewer slideshow function. My problem is getting the slideshow to show the files in the order I want them to be displayed. I don't have the time, nor do
    I want to rename all of my photos just to get it to play in the correct order, especially not every time I add a new photo that I want in a specific location within the slideshow. No matter how I sort the files, the slideshow always plays them in order by
    name.

Does anyone have a workaround to get the slideshow viewer to play in desired order ? or can someone tell me how to access the slideshow settings (if its even possible) so that I can set it to display the photos in the order they are set in the folder?

Running Windows 10.... starting to consider switching to MAC

todd-r, Apr 30, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order

For details on the Photos app sort order, see a previous post of mine in this post:
    Windows 10 photo viewer

If you want to view all the JPG's without the Canon CR2 raw files, then go to Photos App > Settings > and turn on 'Linked Duplicates'. "Exact Duplicates are shown as a single file. This might include copies saved in different folders and RAW files.

ARC1020, Apr 30, 2016
  5. Thank you, but I was hoping to avoid using the Photos App. I prefer Windows Photo Viewer.

6. ARC1020 Win User
    That's also covered in the link I posted. If you change the sort order of a folder in Windows File Explorer and then open one of the photos with Windows Photo Viewer, it will then display the photos from that folder by that order as you scroll though them.

Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order [​IMG]

You can also type *.jpg in the Windows File Explorer search box to just show jpg files in Windows Photo Viewer for that folder for example.

ARC1020, Apr 30, 2016
  7. "Linked Duplicates" was already turned on. When I import the photos they come in as IMG_1.CR2, IMG_1.JPG, IMG_2.CR2, IMG_2.JPG, etc.
    I change the sort order to show first all CR2 and then all JPG.
    I go into Windows Photo Viewer, open the 1st .JPG photo and then try to > to the next .JPG - I get CR2 instead!

8. ARC1020 Win User

No matter what I try, I am unable to reproduce what you're experiencing. Maybe someone else will come along who has experienced the same issue as you and will be able to better advise you.

ARC1020, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer does

2. New Windows Photos app not sorting photos in the correct order.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Windows Photos app not sorting photos in the correct order.: I am using both one drive and apple photos, when viewing media the media does not respect the date taken order. I.E. I have a two pictures that were taken at the same time, separated by several pictures that were taken before or after. It is beyond belief that MS cannot even...
  3. New Windows Photos app not sorting photos in the correct order.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows Photos app not sorting photos in the correct order.: I am using both one drive and apple photos, when viewing media the media does not respect the date taken order. I.E. I have a two pictures that were taken at the same time, separated by several pictures that were taken before or after. It is beyond belief that MS cannot even...
  4. Photo Viewer

Photo Viewer: My photos are resizing automatically. I have photos saved to an external drive. When I view a single photo from the drive the photo shows at the size it was saved. However if I access the drive through explorer to view all of the photos in the file they start resizing after 2...
  5. Windows photo and photo viewer

Windows photo and photo viewer: Photo app and photo viewer app not working, please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-and-photo-viewer/3b344c54-cf1c-4cf1-ab44-8bfba1ded777
  6. My photo viewer does not show the pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My photo viewer does not show the pictures: My photo viewer does not show the pictures. I click on the extra large view button and nothing happens, so I clicked on the large view button, on and on but none of the pictures show up. How can I get that fixed?...
  7. Photo app on desktop shows photos in random order

Photo app on desktop shows photos in random order: I am aware how to sort images by date, date modified, name, size etc in folders. When I'm on desktop and I'm scrolling through the images, the images appear at random, not in the order in which they are placed. Technicians tried updating patches. resetting and a few other...
  8. Sorting photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting photos: I have just taken delivery of a new W10 pc and would appreciate advice on sorting my photos. In XP I could download a cameraful of photos and, without having to change their titles, I could click and drag them into any order, not just one dictated by Microsoft. For instance...
  9. Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order

Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order: The Windows Photo Viewer will not display photos in the order they are sorted by Windows Explorer. This is not referring to the slide show feature, just the forward and back arrows. The only order pictures can be viewed is by name despite Windows Explorer being set at view...
  10. Sorting issues + Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting issues + Windows Photo Viewer: Hi, I usually have both .jpg and .nef files on my SD cards when reading them into the pc. In win8, I could setup the folder to be sorted by file type, and then browse the .jpg files to check focus/colors. Now, when I group the folder into .jpg and .nef files and check the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows slide show in sorted order

2. windows photo not displaying in sorted order