Windows 10: Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images

Discus and support Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows file explorer shows thumbnails of CR2 files just fine. Photo Viewer will show a CR2 image properly for about half a second, but then it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by magarity, Jul 10, 2021.

1. magarity Win User

Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images

Windows file explorer shows thumbnails of CR2 files just fine. Photo Viewer will show a CR2 image properly for about half a second, but then it will redo the exposure badly and if the image is oriented vertically, it will reorient it horizontally. Please in the next patch fix this back to normal. It wasn't doing this a few weeks ago.

:)

magarity, Jul 10, 2021
  2. Mike-Th Win User

Canon EOS 80D CR2 RAW files Windows 10

When are Microsoft going to address the issue with the Photo Viewer Codecs so that the later versions of RAW CR2 photos can be viewed in Photo Viewer. Can I suggest that Microsoft people talk to CANON people and come up with a solution please.

Looks like it has been an issue for a while so Microsoft have had plenty of time to address the issue.

I suggest it is a compatibility issue - Microsoft is not compatible with the real world.

Mike-Th, Jul 10, 2021
  3. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Thanks for the replies. I just had a quick chat with Canon. They're stumped too. Makes no sense why Windows 10 can handle all the existing CR2 files from this camera with no problem at all, but can't display any new ones that I try to download to my computer. I shot a test pic in JPG a few minutes ago, and that one is fine in Windows. Somewhere along the line Windows is eating the CR2, because the other photo editing software (including Canon's DPP) can't work with the new ones either.
    Here's the display in File Explorer - existing CR2 files and new ones:

Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images [​IMG]

The Windows photo editor says it can't open the file.
    Maybe I have to shoot JPG with this camera from now on, which is a pain because RAW allows you to salvage pics that might otherwise be unusable.
    Thanks.

Anachronista, Jul 10, 2021
  4. Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images

Cant view Canon .CR2 RAW photos in Windows 7 Photos Viewer.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

I recently starting turning photography into a profession and work with .CR2 RAW photo files which are best for photo editing. Unfortunately I am
    having trouble viewing thumbnails of them and viewing them
    in windows 7. Once I convert them to .JPG images I can view them but not in thier RAW form. I take 1000’s of photos, so the thumbnails are really nice to have.
    I have spent hours reading Microsoft forums
    and trying to download Microsoft and canon
    codecs but still cannot find out how to view
    the .CR2 files as thumbnails. Windows live photo gallery for Windows 7 is my default. When trying to view .CR2 files I get the error code; this file does not have a program associated
    with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel.
    Photo Gallery error also states; Photo Gallery cant open this photo or video. This file format is not supported, or you dont have the latest updates to photo gallery.
    If I try to open in Windows photo viewer I get the error; Windows Photo Viewer cant open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer. I
    chatted with Microsoft online tech support and they said that there's a possibility that the windows 7 live photo gallery
    may not be supported anymore because it has not been updated for quite some time. They stated that there is now the Photos App in Windows 10. They are recommending I switch to Windows 10
    because the app is included in Windows Essentials. Is there an
    update of the Live photo gallery that will allow me to be able to view
    files using the .CR2 format? Do I really need to upgrade to Windows 10 just to view these files. Any
    assistance would be great.

In a nutshell, Microsoft concluded that the
    main cause of my issue is an
    unsupported file format and stated that the resolution
    is to upgrade to windows 10.

RM1982_870, Jul 10, 2021
Thema:

Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images

1. Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer has

2. CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer-is-distorting-my-raw-cr2/3b43ad0c-da4c-4919-a2c5-f68732123298?page=2The distortion sometimes feels like improves the look of the picture like in this above case, but the rest of the timesalmost all the...
  3. CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer-is-distorting-my-raw-cr2/3b43ad0c-da4c-4919-a2c5-f68732123298?page=2The distortion sometimes feels like improves the look of the picture like in this above case, but the rest of the timesalmost all the...
  4. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  5. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  6. Auto-Enhance and Modification of RAW Images in the Photos App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-Enhance and Modification of RAW Images in the Photos App: Hello. I am an amateur photographer and I use the Photos app to quickly preview all the bulk photos I took and most often to select the best photograph of a certain composition to edit it later. However, Photos re-adjusts the images and auto-enhances them, changing...
  7. Fragmented JPEGs and corrupted folder containing .cr2 Canon RAW images files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fragmented JPEGs and corrupted folder containing .cr2 Canon RAW images files: Hello. I'm seeking help in two distinct topics. I would greatly appreciate any advice. 1. For the past years I have stored all my phone and DLSR camera pictures in an Samsung external hard drive. Lately I have noticed that some of these pictures have been "fragmented"....
  8. Windows Photo Viewer is distorting my raw CR2 photo files

Windows Photo Viewer is distorting my raw CR2 photo files: Hello, I've seen lots of posts about Windows not being able to view raw or CR2 files, however that is not the problem I'm having. My problem is when I open the raw files, the standard Windows 10 photo viewer is distorting the image. When I first open it, it will look normal...
  9. Official .CR2 (raw) file viewer?

Official .CR2 (raw) file viewer?: Good day, is there an official microsoft made RAW image file viewer? I'm looking into Mircosoft Photos but I think it does not support RAW files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/official-cr2-raw-file-viewer/a114a40b-ddda-4248-bbe3-2d1369a705e7
  10. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files: Hi: I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully this is the right forum for the problem. Latest issue is that when I connect my (older) Canon camera via USB to the computer, Windows 10 can see the drive/CR2 files on it OK, but cannot display them (just lists them...