Windows 10: Photo viewer not opening photos, gives error message

Discus and support Photo viewer not opening photos, gives error message in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Having used the photo viewer for years, it's now not opening any jpegs. I get the viewing screen, with the file name and this message underneath... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GordonBryan, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Photo viewer not opening photos, gives error message

Hi,

Having used the photo viewer for years, it's now not opening any jpegs.
    I get the viewing screen, with the file name and this message underneath it.

Advice appreciated.

Photo viewer not opening photos, gives error message f4f2f62a-814f-4039-a1d9-3ec36d6ab9a0?upload=true.jpg

:)

GordonBryan, Apr 20, 2019
  2. Taras Win User

Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows Photo Viewer is unavailable.

The saga is explained in detailed words and colorful pictures here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...2-83ece717ddfb

If that's too tl;dr for you, here are the bullet points:

• Windows Photo Viewer is never listed as an option when using "Open with".
    • "Open with" lets you browse the disk and manually select the desired program. I navigated to "\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" but it contains no program there other than "Imaging Devices" (wrong). Choosing "PhotoViewer.dll" produces an error message.
    • In Control Panel's "Default Program", Windows Photo Viewer is shown to be associated with TIF files and nothing else. Attempts to set JPG to use Windows Photo Viewer fail because, again, its program folder only contains "Imaging Devices" (and the dll).

In an attempt to fix this problem, I used the "nuclear option" and Reset the PC. After Windows 10 (TH1 10240) reinstalled itself, I still couldn't select Windows Photo Viewer to be the default image viewer.

Suggestions to fix this?

Taras, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Taras Win User
    Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

Right there in my first bullet point: "Windows Photo Viewer is never listed as an option when using "Open with".

That would work if Windows Photo Viewer were in the list but it is not.

For everyone's convenience, here's what I wrote on answers.microsoft.com:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...2-83ece717ddfb

1. If I right-click a photo and choose "Open with", Windows Photo Viewer is *not listed* (only Paint and Photos).
    2. I select "Choose another app" followed by "More apps" it is still *not listed*.
    3. If I continue and select "Look for another app on this PC", I can navigate to "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer". However it contains only one program called "ImagingDevices" and it is *not* an image viewer.
    4. If I display "All files" instead of just "Programs" I can see "PhotoViewer.dll". However, selecting this item results in an error message indicating it cannot be used for displaying photos.

Taras, Apr 20, 2019
  4. FrankS Win User

Photo viewer not opening photos, gives error message

photos vs photo viewer

If I double click on a .tif file in File Explorer it opens in Photo Viewer whereas if I double click on a .jpg file it opens in Photos.
    I much prefer using Photo Viewer because you can run a slide show from there & with a right click adjust the speed or duration to Fast, Medium or Slow.
    However, using Photos. although you can also run a slideshow, there's no option to change the speed.
    So, in Settings - Default Apps - Choose default application by file type I scroll to .jpg & discover that Photo Viewer is not on the list of possible apps.
    Of course, scrolling down to .tif & it's already set to Photo Viewer.
    How can I set .jpg to open in Photo Viewer just as it is with .tif ?

FrankS, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

Photo viewer not opening photos, gives error message

1. Photo viewer not opening photos, gives error message - Similar Threads - Photo viewer opening

2. Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Viewer: My photos are resizing automatically. I have photos saved to an external drive. When I view a single photo from the drive the photo shows at the size it was saved. However if I access the drive through explorer to view all of the photos in the file they start resizing after 2...
  3. Photos Error Message

Photos Error Message: I get the error below when trying to open any png or jpg file. Images will open fine with paint or in the folder preview pane, but not on photo viewer. How do I fix this issue?...
  4. Windows Photo Viewer Error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Photo Viewer Error: Windows Photo Viewer showing negative images for adobe illustrator output Export as screen outputs only. Please rectify this error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer-error/df46445d-1d2b-4d61-a92f-269f07e0ac4e
  5. I cannot get Photos to work. Any photo I try to open gives an error message.

I cannot get Photos to work. Any photo I try to open gives an error message.: I cannot get Photos to work. Any photo I try to open gives an error message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos/227f61a0-a11a-45a2-bb0b-972088595fa0
  6. Windows photo and photo viewer

Windows photo and photo viewer: Photo app and photo viewer app not working, please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-and-photo-viewer/3b344c54-cf1c-4cf1-ab44-8bfba1ded777
  7. error-2147219196 on photo viewer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    error-2147219196 on photo viewer: Photo viewer on windows 10 will not show any photographs. I get error-2147219196. Do I need to re-install viewer, and if so how do I re-install?...
  8. Photos app will not open photos - giving error code (-2147219196) and (-2147219195)

Photos app will not open photos - giving error code (-2147219196) and (-2147219195): After executing windows updates, my photos app no longer works. The app and my windows version are the newest available. When I try to open a photo (jpg), the photos app displays for a second then closes and gives a pop up window that reads "File System error (-2147219196)"....
  9. Windows Photo Viewer error

Windows Photo Viewer error: Cough. Hi there fellow forumers. I need your help. I've already know this problem of mine is a rather common problem among Windows 10 users. When I wish to open a picture with our good old Windows Photo Viewer, simply nothing happens or even if something does happen, that's...
  10. Jpg photo unable to open in windows photo viewer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Jpg photo unable to open in windows photo viewer.: Hai, Jpg photo unable to open in windows photo viewer. i reset default apps. i choose default apps by file type. [img] [img] [img] [img] Regards. bala. 12326

Users found this page by searching for:

1. potoviewer error message

2. windows photo viewer not opening error

3. windows phone not opening photos or messages

4. windows photo gives error message,
  5. opening photos error message