Windows 10: Photo viewer suddenly has a border with every image if not started from the photo viewer app

Discus and support Photo viewer suddenly has a border with every image if not started from the photo viewer app in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been going crazy with Photo Viewer, this is an issue that reared its head only 2 days ago... I genuinely do not know what happened. So here is my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KoryanderEmberstone, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Photo viewer suddenly has a border with every image if not started from the photo viewer app

I've been going crazy with Photo Viewer, this is an issue that reared its head only 2 days ago... I genuinely do not know what happened. So here is my problem:Note the border around the picture despite it being set to "full screen" F11, the border is dark because I have things on dark mode.Anyhow, LITERALLY THREE DAYS AGO full screen would do this:Note how the image takes up ALL of the screen space when F11'ed. I don't know what I did, I've checked every setting I possibly could, checked every menu. I know its not "that big a deal" but its absolute frustration and its bugging me to no end. N

:)

KoryanderEmberstone, Aug 6, 2021
  2. Steve C Win User

Replacement for photo viewer

I just use the Photos app for a quick view, otherwise I use Adobe Lightroom to view and edit photos.

Steve C, Aug 6, 2021
  3. cheeesus Win User
    How to bring back Photo Viewer in Windows 10?

Unfortunately, none of the above answers worked for me, but they pointed me in the right direction.

1. Right-click on an image in Windows Explorer, choose Open With, then Choose another app.
    2. In the dialog, scroll down and click on More apps, then `Look for another app on this PC.
    3. Then, at the bottom right, choose All Files (*.*) instead of Programs (*.exe ...), then navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer and choose PhotoViewer.dll.
    4. Photo Viewer opens. Close it.
    5. Repeat Step 1: Right-click again on the image, choose Open With, then Choose another app.
    6. Again scroll down to click on More apps.
    7. Now Windows Photo Viewer appears in the apps list. Choose it and click on Always use this app to open .png files.

Once you did steps 1-4, you don't have to repeat them for other file types. Steps 5-7 should suffice.

cheeesus, Aug 6, 2021
  4. Taras Win User

Photo viewer suddenly has a border with every image if not started from the photo viewer app

Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows Photo Viewer is unavailable.

The saga is explained in detailed words and colorful pictures here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...2-83ece717ddfb

If that's too tl;dr for you, here are the bullet points:

• Windows Photo Viewer is never listed as an option when using "Open with".
    • "Open with" lets you browse the disk and manually select the desired program. I navigated to "\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" but it contains no program there other than "Imaging Devices" (wrong). Choosing "PhotoViewer.dll" produces an error message.
    • In Control Panel's "Default Program", Windows Photo Viewer is shown to be associated with TIF files and nothing else. Attempts to set JPG to use Windows Photo Viewer fail because, again, its program folder only contains "Imaging Devices" (and the dll).

In an attempt to fix this problem, I used the "nuclear option" and Reset the PC. After Windows 10 (TH1 10240) reinstalled itself, I still couldn't select Windows Photo Viewer to be the default image viewer.

Suggestions to fix this?

Taras, Aug 6, 2021
Thema:

Photo viewer suddenly has a border with every image if not started from the photo viewer app

1. Photo viewer suddenly has a border with every image if not started from the photo viewer app - Similar Threads - Photo viewer suddenly

2. Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Viewer: My photos are resizing automatically. I have photos saved to an external drive. When I view a single photo from the drive the photo shows at the size it was saved. However if I access the drive through explorer to view all of the photos in the file they start resizing after 2...
  3. Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo Viewer: When I try to open a photo specifically a jpeg file from Explorer I get an error message that says something like the Error Message below:The default apps setting for .jpg is the Windows Photo Viewer app:How do I get the system to recognize and open the Photos Viewer...
  4. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  5. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  6. Photo Viewer Image Compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo Viewer Image Compression: Hi,Does the Windows Photo Viewer automatically compress pictures to edit them? I took some portraits for my niece that I'd like to edit, but it's compressing them from a large file to a small one, which I don't want. Ex. The picture starts out as 7.8MB & ends up as 1MB.I know...
  7. Photo Viewer app???

Photo Viewer app???: Hi; I updated a friends comp to win10 from win8.1, now all her pics are missing info. She swears she was using windows photo viewer and had all her pics titled and dated. This is different from file name. Win10 photo app does not show the title/Subject or date. I tried...
  8. Photo Viewer

Photo Viewer: I use Windows Photo Viewer and recently it's shortcut in the taskbar disappeared,not sure but could be due to a recent windows update,when I open Photo Viewer from file explorer the shortcut doesn't appear in the taskbar,any way I can resolve this TIA Windows Version No 20H2...
  9. Photo viewer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photo viewer: Can this piece of literal shit get any worse? Most notable issues: - Random massive memory leaks which consume your system's entire memory and grinds everything to a halt unless you realize what's going on quickly enough and force close it. - Literally can't handle opening...
  10. Photo viewer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo viewer: Hi! This problem is listed as resolved in the forum, but the given solutions did not work for me. I have Photos the preferred MS app for this function selected as my default Photo Viewer and yet I cannot open .jpg files. Why doesn't the MS product work with Windows 10?...