Windows 10: Photos and external hard drive problem

Discus and support Photos and external hard drive problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I have an external hard drive full of photos. I am hoping to link these photos to the Windows 10 Photos app without moving them to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TobiasMaximus, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Photos and external hard drive problem

Hello,

I have an external hard drive full of photos. I am hoping to link these photos to the Windows 10 Photos app without moving them to the laptop's internal hard drive. I want them to stay on the external drive and, furthermore, want any new photos added (from my phone, for example) to go to this external hard drive as well.

I have already changed the pathways of where Pictures will be saved to this hard drive.

Anyway, plugged in the external hard drive full of photos and overnight the Photos app pulled found them, organized them by date, etc. All seemed well. Later that day, however, I closed Photos and then removed the hard drive. Later reconnected the hard drive and started Photos but there was nothing on Photos! The program apparently needs to re-find the photos and rebuild the library every time I plug in the hard drive...this takes hours. Am I missing a process that would allow the Photos app to remember the library whenever I plug in the hard drive?

Thanks!

:)

TobiasMaximus, Jan 4, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 4, 2019
  3. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - FR

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jan 4, 2019
  4. twynog Win User

Photos and external hard drive problem

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

Photos and external hard drive problem

1. Photos and external hard drive problem - Similar Threads - Photos external hard

2. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Problems: External Hard connects to pc sound when connecting but is not shown in My PC on explorer - how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-problems/2c02eed4-8548-4518-b309-27e1c253e5d6
  3. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Problems: External Hard connects to pc sound when connecting but is not shown in My PC on explorer - how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-problems/2c02eed4-8548-4518-b309-27e1c253e5d6
  4. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. transferring photos to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transferring photos to external hard drive: Can someone please help me put my photos that I have saved onto my pc with OneDrive sync on, onto an external hard drive. i only want the image folder placed onto the external hard drive not the OneDrive back up.I have tried several times and it is coming up with There is not...
  6. transferring photos to external hard drive

transferring photos to external hard drive: Can someone please help me put my photos that I have saved onto my pc with OneDrive sync on, onto an external hard drive. i only want the image folder placed onto the external hard drive not the OneDrive back up.I have tried several times and it is coming up with There is not...
  7. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  8. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  9. External hard drive problem

10. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I have 2TB seaget hard disk (HD) . As soon as I attach my hard disk to surface go it shows 100% performance in task manager with 0 reading and writing speed. No antivirus is working as I start scanning it, it stays at 0% for long time until it detaches itself. Even the...