Windows 10: Photos and Microsoft store applications hang and cause disk to go to 100% when opening

Discus and support Photos and Microsoft store applications hang and cause disk to go to 100% when opening in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Subject says it all. As of recently, anytime I try to open an image on my computer or try going to the Microsoft store, both applications just hang and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RebeccaSander, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Photos and Microsoft store applications hang and cause disk to go to 100% when opening

Subject says it all. As of recently, anytime I try to open an image on my computer or try going to the Microsoft store, both applications just hang and cause my disk to go to 100% usage until i taskkill the application Microsoft or photos

Stuff I've tried -> Result

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth -> No component store corruption detected.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth -> 100% No component store corruption detected.

What else could I try, it's annoying having to keep dragging images into chrome to view them

:)

RebeccaSander, Aug 4, 2020

2. Photos Application Hangs When Importing The Photos.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below listed questions and get back to us.

1) Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

2) Do you get any error message when the Photos application hangs?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Method 1: Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store.

You can follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in
    Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store
    and see if this helps.

Method 2: Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Photos Application.

Step 1: Click on the Start Menu and search for
    PowerShell > Right-click on PowerShell > Click on
    Run As Administrator.

Step 2: In the PowerShell window, type the following command and hit Enter.

• get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.Photos | remove-appxpackage
    Step 3: Once the above command is executed successfully,
    restart the PC once
    and download the
    Microsoft Photos Application
    from Microsoft Store.

Method 3: Clean Boot.

Try to perform a
    Clean Boot
    on your computer and see what exactly is preventing the game from running.

NOTE: A 'Clean Boot' starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality
    while in a clean boot environment, however, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

If the Clean Boot works, then don't forget to place the computer to normal boot by going to 'Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting' section in the Clean Boot link.

Method 4: New User Account.

If the above methods didn't work, then you may need to
    Create a New Administrator User Account
    and login to the New User Account and check for the issue.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Shafeeq_Khan, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Microsoft Store free apps

Hello,

Corrupted system files can cause issues when downloading applications from the Microsoft Store. However, for us to provide you the most appropriate assistance, can you provide us the exact error message that you're getting?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you reset the Microsoft Store cache and try to download applications again. Check out the steps below:

• Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box.

• Type WSReset, then try launching Microsoft Store and sign in.

• Once done, try to download applications.

We'll wait for any updates to assist you further.

Jennifer Bri, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Photos and Microsoft store applications hang and cause disk to go to 100% when opening

Microsoft Power Service causing 100% Disk Usage

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts you have taken in trying to resolve the issue. I understand that the Power service is causing 100% Disk Usage on your computer.

Based on the troubleshooting steps you have tried and research you have done, I would suggest you to try disabling Hibernate and see if that makes a difference. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Type command prompt in the
      search bar
      on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, paste the following command and hit Enter:
      powercfg /hibernate off

For more information on disabling Hibernation, see How
    to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is running Windows

You may also want to look at the steps in the article
    Task Manager might show 100% disk utilization on Windows 10 devices with Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode enabled

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take backup of registry.

If the issue persists, we would like to know the make and model of the computer to research more on the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Photos and Microsoft store applications hang and cause disk to go to 100% when opening

1. Photos and Microsoft store applications hang and cause disk to go to 100% when opening - Similar Threads - Photos Microsoft store

2. Disk going at 100% when i'm downloading things

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk going at 100% when i'm downloading things: The problem is in the title. I had many problems with my disks like it running at 100% in games i fixed this problem by uninstalling Geforce Experience and disabling SysMain.To try to fix the download speed, i reinstalled windows not formating it and the problem still occurs....
  3. Disk going at 100% when i'm downloading things

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk going at 100% when i'm downloading things: The problem is in the title. I had many problems with my disks like it running at 100% in games i fixed this problem by uninstalling Geforce Experience and disabling SysMain.To try to fix the download speed, i reinstalled windows not formating it and the problem still occurs....
  4. Disk going at 100% when i'm downloading things

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disk usage going 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk usage going 100%: [ATTACH] Hello there, On my laptop disk usages reaches to 100% without using any heavy applications and laptop freezes and it lags a lot due to this I'm unable to do the work tried searching on internet but unable to find the solution. Thank you....
  6. 100% disk full and hanging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk full and hanging: Dear sir/madam, I have updates on windows 10, but from few days system is hanging and when i opened task manager, in task manager disk showing red and 100% full, even though nothing is running behind, i disable windows search options then also same issue...
  7. Store and Microsoft Photos will not open

Store and Microsoft Photos will not open: I have tried all the tricks and still no luck. I am unable to open Photos App or even open the Microsoft Store since the last update. Please assist!...
  8. 100% disk usage when opening softwares.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    100% disk usage when opening softwares.: Hello , I'm using Acer Nitro 5 , 8 GB Ram i5-7300HQ 1050GTX Nvidia , 1TB HardDisk . Every time I open a app either its chrome/steam/discord my disk usage increases to 100% even its running only on 2-3mbps else its fine and 2-3% around Please help me out here....
  9. Photos Application Hangs When Importing The Photos.

Photos Application Hangs When Importing The Photos.: In the last few months I have not been able to use the automatic import function in the Photos app, as it hangs shortly after the import window opens and starts filling it with photos from my source. Using an SD card directly into my Surface Book2, or connecting my Nikon...
  10. Internet causes 100% DISK

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Internet causes 100% DISK: I have run everybody application to find why DISK is at 100% and freeze my computer for several minutes and find out it happens when I access my ISP, especially my email, does my DISK memory freeze my computer. I prefer using Firefox but I tried with other with same results....