Windows 10: Photos and Runtime Broker using 30% CPU

Discus and support Photos and Runtime Broker using 30% CPU in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I have had this issue for a little while now. It showed up in the CPU usage graph of Afterburner hardware monitor, which I have running on my gaming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LucWeerts, Feb 13, 2019.

1. LucWeerts Win User

Photos and Runtime Broker using 30% CPU

So I have had this issue for a little while now. It showed up in the CPU usage graph of Afterburner hardware monitor, which I have running on my gaming PC at all times to keep tabs on my system. This CPU graph would be at 5% for a couple of seconds, and then go up to 30% for a couple of seconds, after which it repeats. Note that this is with the system idling. My CPU is an Intel Core i3 6100, so it is not very powerful, but 30% usage during idle is still very high. Also, I am running Windows 10 Home, fully updated.

So I dug a little deeper, and using Task Manager, found that Runtime Broker is the issue. A quick search found lots of problems with Runtime Broker, mainly about it using 100% and slowing down the system massively. This is not the case, and those solutions did not work in my case. After some more digging on the internet, I learned that Runtime Broker manages the UWP apps, like Edge, Settings, Search and Photos. Most of them have a little leaf shown in Task Manager, to tell you that that app is in a suspended state.

Photos, however, behaves differently. It has the leaf, but then it disappears. Runtime Broker starts using 30%. A few moments later, Photos gets the leaf again and Runtime Broker goes quiet.

So, I decided to use End Task on Photos, and lo and behold, Runtime Broker is no longer going up and down. There is just 1 thing: Photos start up again after a little while, and the whole sequence begins again.

For those who are interested, here is a link to a video, captured with my phone. It shows the up and down of the CPU usage, that Runtime Broker is using CPU and that ending Photos fixes the issue. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iz9PSsi5IrppoVgZyForP7gYHkYuE_oZ

This problem persists between Windows updates and even clean installs, so it is not caused by some malicious 3rd party software.

I consider this to be a bug, but there is no good way of reporting bugs to Microsoft. I hope that someone will bring this to Microsoft's attention.

Thank you for your attention.

:)

LucWeerts, Feb 13, 2019
  2. RonShamir Win User

runtime broker is taking up to 30% of my CPU

what solve the problem for me was uninstalling the photo app of windows 10. No more CPU high usage.

Ron

RonShamir, Feb 13, 2019
  3. RonShamir Win User
    runtime broker is taking up to 30% of my CPU

runtime broker process is taking up to 30% of my CPU, for noreason

non of the solutions in the forum helped

Ron

RonShamir, Feb 13, 2019
  4. Photos and Runtime Broker using 30% CPU

Runtime Broker high CPU usage

How is releasing Beta software a good idea? What the **** is wrong with you? None of your Windows 10 apps work. Photos use 70% CPU. (Runtime Broker) KYS

Mait Oliver Hellat, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

Photos and Runtime Broker using 30% CPU

1. Photos and Runtime Broker using 30% CPU - Similar Threads - Photos Runtime Broker

2. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Runtime Broker: how can i stop the Runtime Broker from being on Task Bar.i have around 4 to 5 Runtime Broker.i end the process , again it comes back.Please any idea. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runtime-broker/8fe62d65-3022-44d9-b8f7-ee30e686ca3e
  3. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Runtime Broker: Hey everyone, I don’t really need help just was curious. I saw 3-4 runtime broker processes running in my task manager and wanted to know if that’s typical. They use a very small amount of ram and I’ve done some googling and know what the process does but can’t find anything...
  4. runtime broker

in Windows 10 Customization
    runtime broker: Windows defender keeps blocking something in drive c:...\runtimer broker.exe\trying to change something in %userprofile%\pictures I'm getting 40 plus notifications a day https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runtime-broker/53b556fe-9bf6-48aa-a73c-de5932fe380f
  5. Runtime broker !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runtime broker !: For quite a few weeks now I seem to be getting this message fairly frequently when I click on "Setting's" in Windows 10. As anyone got any ideas what is causing it ? RuntimeBroker The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation ! Read...
  6. Runtime Broker using high memory and cpu usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Runtime Broker using high memory and cpu usage: after upgrading to windows 10 my laptop fan always working fast ... when i checked this issue, i see runtime broker in task manager with high resourse usage ... when i click on end task, everything be normal... but runtime broker run itselft immediately ... i googled this...
  7. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Runtime Broker: Hi there. My CPU temp kept being elevated. After doing a lot of troubleshooting and also reseating and applying fresh thermal paste, I finally realized that the CPU load was causing a serious problem, and it all pointed to Runtime Broker. When I delete the task, my CPU temp...
  8. runtime broker

in Windows 10 Support
    runtime broker: This keeps using more and more memory, my disk usage is 100%, can someone tell em what this is, how to fix it, please!!!! microsoft forums are useless 9301
  9. Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU: Hello, i just want to start by saying that i know it may seem like i'm rambling a bit, but i'm very stressed out at the moment. I'm running windows 10 Home 64-bit The process runtimebroker is eating up a lot of cpu for me. I have looked deeply into this problem, but no...
  10. Runtime Broker consuming laptop CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Runtime Broker consuming laptop CPU: Hi. Runtime Broker starts-runs and consumes allmost all CPU-time. Laptop fan keeps running until I stop the process. Tried different suggestions but it still keeps starting. E.g. disabling time broker service. Problem still occurs for some reason. Please help with how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows photo runtime broker cpu