Windows 10: Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape

Discus and support Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW filesLately whenever I open a raw file CR2 in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AlexJamo, Jan 18, 2022.

1. AlexJamo Win User

Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape

Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW filesLately whenever I open a raw file CR2 in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc and nothing works.Has anyone seen this?The Frustrating part is it initially recognises the photo as Portrait but then applies a preset and rotates the file. Landscape images do not rotateCurrent OS Windows 11 Version 21H2 OS Build 22000.434Photos Version 2021.21120.8011.0Previously this was a problem here:Windows 10

:)

AlexJamo, Jan 18, 2022

2. Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape

Since the latest update of the Photo App (2019.19021.18010.0) raw image files which are originally in portrait format are automatically rotated to landscape view and the manual rotation is disabled. This only applies to raw images and not to formats such
    as .jpg or .png.

The issue is only present in the view mode of the app while the image appears correctly in the editing mode.

Is there a way of disabling set auto rotation or a work around of stopping the app from doing that?

(Feedback was already given via Feedback Hub)

MoritzErnst, Jan 18, 2022
  3. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files

Lately whenever I open a raw file (CR2) in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc and nothing works.

Has anyone seen this?

Windows 10 (1809, build 17763.404)

Photos version 2019.19021.18010.0

Andy Bertaut, Jan 18, 2022
  4. pondlife Win User

Win 10 - disable auto rotate for photos

Windows 10 auto rotates photos - now when I drag and drop photos to word 10, I have no idea which way they will rotate - all portrait become landscape = as I use many tens of photos per report this is really annoying.

With win 7, I could just drag and drop straight into a word table portrait remained portrait, landscape remained landscape.

can I disable auto rotate? is there another work around as I like win 10

Mark @ MMA Chartered Surveyors

pondlife, Jan 18, 2022
Thema:

1. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape - Similar Threads - Photos App auto

2. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  3. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  4. Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?: This problem only started a day or so now, but when using google chrome, and printing a Spreadsheet to PDF, when i press print, my previews and everything in chrome is showing the correct landscape orientation. When I actually save the file and then open it, the pages are...
  5. Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?

Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?: This problem only started a day or so now, but when using google chrome, and printing a Spreadsheet to PDF, when i press print, my previews and everything in chrome is showing the correct landscape orientation. When I actually save the file and then open it, the pages are...
  6. Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape

Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape: Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW filesLately whenever I open a raw file CR2 in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc...
  8. RAW Files-Portrait Orientation shown in Landscape Orientation with no rotation option.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RAW Files-Portrait Orientation shown in Landscape Orientation with no rotation option.: I have seen this question over and over again with no real answer provided. For RAW files (not jpegs) pictures taken in the portrait orientation are showing up in the landscape orientation in the windows photo viewer. In the past you could just highlight these photos,...
  9. Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape: Since the latest update of the Photo App (2019.19021.18010.0) raw image files which are originally in portrait format are automatically rotated to landscape view and the manual rotation is disabled. This only applies to raw images and not to formats such as .jpg or .png. The...
  10. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files: Lately whenever I open a raw file (CR2) in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc and nothing works. Has anyone seen this?...