Windows 10: PHOTOS app - Can't "save" photo edits, just "save a copy"

Discus and support PHOTOS app - Can't "save" photo edits, just "save a copy" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Before the latest MS update, I used to be able to simply "SAVE" my edits in the PHOTOS app, so that my changes would be overwritten on the original... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MaeZStaun, Nov 8, 2020.

1. MaeZStaun Win User

PHOTOS app - Can't "save" photo edits, just "save a copy"

Before the latest MS update, I used to be able to simply "SAVE" my edits in the PHOTOS app, so that my changes would be overwritten on the original photo when I chose. That option is suddenly no longer available to me grayed out, and after editing a photo, my only choice is to "SAVE A COPY." Most of the time, I don't want to create a second copy....and it's always a pain to hunt down the location of the the edited version. It's wasting a lot of my time. How can I re-enable the "SAVE" option?

And for heaven's sake, why on earth was this changed!? What if I have lengthy, multiple stage edits to one photo!? I am in the habit of frequently saving my changes.... now I have to keep creating multiple copies of the same photo!!!

:)

MaeZStaun, Nov 8, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Photo edits and saving

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

1. What is the file format of the Photo?

2. Have you installed all pending updates?

3. Are you able to download and save photos from browser?

4. Is the issue is particular to edited photos?

5. Are you logged in as Admin?

6. In which location are you trying to save picture?

I suggest you to save picture to Desktop and check if that helps

I suggest you to install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

• If you can't save a photo in Photo Gallery, one of the following reasons might be the cause:

• The photo properties attribute is set to Read-only. To change a photo’s read-only property, right-click the photo and select Properties. Under the General tab, in the Attributes group, uncheck Read-only, and then click Apply.

• The photo is stored in a read-only location like shared network file, a CD or DVD, or other location where you can’t change its properties. To save a copy of a photo to your PC where you can edit it, double-click the photo and then, on the Edit tab, in
    the Manage group, click Make a copy. Select a file type, choose a location on your PC to save the photo, and then click Save.

• The photo is an unsupported file type. Photo Gallery can't open or edit all photo file types. To save a copy of photo and change it's file type to a format that you can edit, double-click the photo and then, on the Edit tab, in the Manage group, click
    Make a copy. Select a file type, and then click Save.

• The photo might have been deleted or moved after you selected it for editing. Restore the photo to its original location, and then try to edit the photo again.

Boot into Safe Mode and check are you able to save.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Saving a copy of an edited picture in Photos

In Photos, when I click "Save a Copy" of an edited photo, it used to add a "2" to the file name. Now when I click "Save a Copy" it does not add a "2" to the file name. I have to manually modify the file name and add a "2".

When "Save a Copy" doesn't work, it takes extra time and key strokes to save a copy.

How come that doesn't work for me anymore?

Thanks

DebbySweeten, Nov 8, 2020
  4. PHOTOS app - Can't "save" photo edits, just "save a copy"

Saving a copy of an edited picture in Photos

Hi Debby,

There are different possible causes as to why the "Save a Copy" feature you have been using in Photos app would stop working normally. This may be related to settings we need to correct or corrupted files. For us to resolve this concern, kindly follow the
    steps below to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter:

• In the Windows search bar type in the word troubleshooting.
    • Once the results show up select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Choose Windows Store Apps.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the steps.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

PHOTOS app - Can't "save" photo edits, just "save a copy"

1. PHOTOS app - Can't "save" photo edits, just "save a copy" - Similar Threads - PHOTOS app Can't

2. windows photo app save a copy.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows photo app save a copy.: Before when I edit photo using Windows photo app, after making changes and click save a copy, it will automatically save it with number at the end of file name example test1 to create a new file. Now if I click save a copy it will ask me like saving as, is there a way to have...
  3. windows photo app save a copy.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows photo app save a copy.: Before when I edit photo using Windows photo app, after making changes and click save a copy, it will automatically save it with number at the end of file name example test1 to create a new file. Now if I click save a copy it will ask me like saving as, is there a way to have...
  4. Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default: I would like to know how to change my Microsoft Photos App to save video trims with "Save as" instead of "Saving a copy" If this cannot be done, please explain why....
  5. Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default

Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default: I would like to know how to change my Microsoft Photos App to save video trims with "Save as" instead of "Saving a copy" If this cannot be done, please explain why....
  6. Saved edited photo not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saved edited photo not found: Windows 10. Opened a photo using "Photos" , edited photo, only option available is Save a Copy. No choice as to location for saved photo. Where is the saved photo?...
  7. Photo app just hangs on save as or save

Photo app just hangs on save as or save: Hi EveryoneI have seen this question asked elsewhere and where there are solutions I have tried them. Microsoft photos works fine for import of a photo and editing it. then when I click either save or save as it just whirs round and round forever.What I have done to date:-1....
  8. Saving Edited photos

Saving Edited photos: Sometimes, but not always when I edit a picture and go to save it, the program seems to stop, it spins and spins as if it is trying to save but never accomplishes it. What can I do to fix this? Jamie...
  9. unable to save edited photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to save edited photos: I'm unable to save edited photos. They are mine, I took them and placed them on my Windows laptop and share them with my iphone and ipad. I do not understand technobabble. I need the editing format to work, simple as that, I need the fix. If someone answers that if I share to...
  10. Can't do save or save as when editing photos.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't do save or save as when editing photos.: Hello, I recently updated to the new Windows version 1903 and I opened paint.net, I edited a photo and when I was going to save it, It said "(Directory) File not found. Check the filename and try again." This started happening after I updated...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why cant Copy photo or save