Windows 10: Photos App crashes after last Windows Update

Discus and support Photos App crashes after last Windows Update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The Windows Photos App has been affected since the last Windows update. If you open a JPG file and click on File Info, the application crashes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Klaus Mebus, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Photos App crashes after last Windows Update

The Windows Photos App has been affected since the last Windows update.

If you open a JPG file and click on File Info, the application crashes.

Tested with different versions of Windows 10 and different hardware.

:)

Klaus Mebus, Nov 17, 2020
  2. abn505 Win User

Photo App Crashes

The latest Microsoft update on 8/28/2015 fixed the crashing problem.

abn505, Nov 17, 2020
  3. ben201 Win User
    Windows Photos App crashes

So since today my Photos App is crashing as soon as i open it. It goes into a blackscreen for about 2-3 Seconds and than crashes.

Information about the error:
    This Crash is generating chrash dumps that contain the error code 0xC0000602 in module mrt100_app.dll or 0xc000027b in module twinapi.appcore.dll.

I found two intresting facts about the error:
    - If I try a system restore to a point created 3 days ago, the App starts working again. A few minutes after using the system, the app starts crashing again.
    - I created a new local account and the app does seem to work on that new account until now.

Steps I have tried:
    - Reinstall Photos app by uninstalling it using Powershell and rerisntalling it - did not change anything
    - Reregister the App - did not change anything
    - Scan the System with sfc and dism - no errors
    - Use System resstore - see above, did only work for a few minutes.

Microsoft Support suggested reinstalling Windows, but I do non really want to reinstall the whole system just because one app is not working...

ben201, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Photos App crashes after last Windows Update

Windows 10 Photo App crashes (no, really?)

Does it crash on launch or later? If it crashes on launch it is because a "ccleaner" type of app was run. Re-installing the app should fix it

If it does not crash on launch

First, ensure that the user has installed all OS updates and Store updates for the Photos app.

If they are up-to-date, be sure to always ask for the problem because we can use this to ensure we are tracking a fix. To ask for the problem report, give the following instructions.

1. In the Search bar, type "View all problem reports" and click on the result with the same name

2. Find the Photos app in the list and find an event with a timestamp that matches a time the Photos app crashed

3. Right-click on that event, and click "View technical details"

4. Select the text containing the Problem Signature and Extra information about the problem. Specifically, we are looking for the Bucket ID, which looks something like this:
    Bucket ID: dcd339be3c7f9cc9e993703ea23a17c7 (133180262161)

5. Reply to this post with that text. There isn't any personally identifiable information in the text, it will just help us look up the crash details.

Here are some next steps you can recommend based on behavior:

If other apps are crashing besides the Photos app, it may be a Store problem. Running the following commands will reset the Store:

Method 1: I would suggest you to reset Windows store.

• Right click on start and select ‘RUN’.
    • In the Run window, type WSReset.exe and click “Ok”.
    If the Photos app is the only one crashing, it could be a problem with the Photos app database. To reset the database, perform the following:

1. Press windows button + R

2. Type: %appdata%\..\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

3. Delete all the contents of that folder

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Photos App crashes after last Windows Update

1. Photos App crashes after last Windows Update - Similar Threads - Photos App crashes

2. Windows Calendar crashes after last update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Calendar crashes after last update.: The Windows Calendar now crashes when I try to open it. It just got updated from the Windows Store yesterday. This was when it started to happen. Any recommendations on how to fix it?...
  3. Windows Calendar crashes after last update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Calendar crashes after last update.: The Windows Calendar now crashes when I try to open it. It just got updated from the Windows Store yesterday. This was when it started to happen. Any recommendations on how to fix it?...
  4. Windows 11 Photo App Bug With Last Update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Photo App Bug With Last Update?: After the update yesterday, often when I open a photo, after a few seconds the photo disappears and there is a text box saying "there is nothing to see here"....
  5. Windows 11 Photo App Bug With Last Update?

Windows 11 Photo App Bug With Last Update?: After the update yesterday, often when I open a photo, after a few seconds the photo disappears and there is a text box saying "there is nothing to see here"....
  6. Windows Photo App missing arrows after last update

Windows Photo App missing arrows after last update: After the last windows update, the windows photo app seems to have broken a efficient workflow.Use case: use Photo app to browse to large amount of photo's, select a photo to keep, edit crop/straigten, save-as in new folder selected photos, next arrow to see next photo, next...
  7. All games are crashing after last Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All games are crashing after last Windows Update: After the last Windows Update all my games are crashing mid-game. Game freezes for 5 seconds then I get a black screen with the mouse cursor and then the game continues normally. This is repeating every 1 to 5 minutes making the gaming experience awful. I also tried to update...
  8. app crashing after last update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    app crashing after last update: the photos app is not working. it is crashing before opening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-crashing-after-last-update/a5d06eb6-c9df-4800-802f-801fec841c7b
  9. crash after last update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    crash after last update: Hello, I allowed Windows to update itself last Saturday but since my PC does not start: black page with circle in dash points turning, turning... Is it possible to create a boot usb key and reach system to allow starting with last conform update? Thanks for return...
  10. Microsoft Photos app crashes after recent update.

Microsoft Photos app crashes after recent update.: Hi, The Microsoft Photos app recently got updated on my PC, after which I noticed a new App start appearing in my Start Menu: Video Editor. However, after this update, both the Microsoft Photos app as well as the new Video Editor app, both crash when starting up....