Windows 10: Photos App crashes shortly after opening.

Discus and support Photos App crashes shortly after opening. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is happening on my Surface 3. I've tried resetting it and uninstalling then reinstalling via power shell. The same thing happened on my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by elbeasto, Dec 14, 2018.

1. elbeasto Win User

Photos App crashes shortly after opening.

This is happening on my Surface 3.

I've tried resetting it and uninstalling then reinstalling via power shell.

The same thing happened on my desktop but reinstalling the app fixed it, not so on the Surface.

Also, both machines don't list Photos in the Apps & Features list in Settings.

It's almost like the app isn't being added to the registry (speculating).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

:)

elbeasto, Dec 14, 2018

2. Is the Photos App completely broken? It opens but crashes after 5 seconds.

There were so many errors in the system I just wiped everything and did a clean install. However, the Photos app still crashes immediately after opening it. I tried all the steps listed above and the problem persists. Creating a new user and doing a clean
    boot have no effect. The SFC scan reports no errors now, which is good, but the Photos app will not work despite trying everything that has been suggested. Also, the Troubleshooter for Windows Apps found no problems. Which is amusing, since there clearly is
    one.

To recap, despite trying all methods listed above, including a clean install to clear everything and make sure I have all current updates...Photos does not work.

I'd really like to hear a suggestion as to what to do next.

BrianBeagle, Dec 14, 2018
  3. ben201 Win User
    Windows Photos App crashes

So since today my Photos App is crashing as soon as i open it. It goes into a blackscreen for about 2-3 Seconds and than crashes.

Information about the error:
    This Crash is generating chrash dumps that contain the error code 0xC0000602 in module mrt100_app.dll or 0xc000027b in module twinapi.appcore.dll.

I found two intresting facts about the error:
    - If I try a system restore to a point created 3 days ago, the App starts working again. A few minutes after using the system, the app starts crashing again.
    - I created a new local account and the app does seem to work on that new account until now.

Steps I have tried:
    - Reinstall Photos app by uninstalling it using Powershell and rerisntalling it - did not change anything
    - Reregister the App - did not change anything
    - Scan the System with sfc and dism - no errors
    - Use System resstore - see above, did only work for a few minutes.

Microsoft Support suggested reinstalling Windows, but I do non really want to reinstall the whole system just because one app is not working...

ben201, Dec 14, 2018
  4. Photos App crashes shortly after opening.

Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Photos App crashes shortly after opening.

1. Photos App crashes shortly after opening. - Similar Threads - Photos App crashes

2. Microsoft Photos crashes shortly after opening.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos crashes shortly after opening.: I've tried the app Advanced Options - Repair, I've Uninstalled, Reinstalled, but the app will not launch. What's going wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  3. Microsoft Photos crashes shortly after opening.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos crashes shortly after opening.: I've tried the app Advanced Options - Repair, I've Uninstalled, Reinstalled, but the app will not launch. What's going wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  4. Windows Start Menu is crashing shortly after opening it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start Menu is crashing shortly after opening it.: Event Viewer DescriptionFaulting application name: StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0xe40668d4Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2130, time stamp: 0xb0fac6c9Exception code: 0xc000027bFault offset: 0x000000000010fdf2Faulting...
  5. Windows Start Menu is crashing shortly after opening it.

Windows Start Menu is crashing shortly after opening it.: Event Viewer DescriptionFaulting application name: StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0xe40668d4Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2130, time stamp: 0xb0fac6c9Exception code: 0xc000027bFault offset: 0x000000000010fdf2Faulting...
  6. Windows Start Menu is crashing shortly after opening it.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Games crashing shortly after opening.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games crashing shortly after opening.: Many of my games from steam crash after starting, I'm not sure what is causing this, as I have already made sure everything is updated. I also did a fresh install of windows, and that failed to fix it. Inside of my event viewer there seems to be a high number of...
  8. Games crashing shortly after opening.

Games crashing shortly after opening.: Many of my games from steam crash after starting, I'm not sure what is causing this, as I have already made sure everything is updated. I also did a fresh install of windows, and that failed to fix it. Inside of my event viewer there seems to be a high number of...
  9. Games crashing shortly after opening.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Photo app crashes after a few seconds after opening

Photo app crashes after a few seconds after opening: Hello, After installing and enjoying Windows 10 for a few weeks, I am having problems with the Photo app. I was able to open it up with no problems and it showed me all my pictures but I few days ago, I opened it up and it quit after a few seconds. I kept open it with the...