Windows 10: Photos app freezes when I try to change the import selection type when importing photos...

Discus and support Photos app freezes when I try to change the import selection type when importing photos... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Over the last year or two I've occasionally had a problem when trying to import photos from both my iPhone and iPad to my Windows 10 laptop. The Photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by CountryGirl2011, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Photos app freezes when I try to change the import selection type when importing photos...

Over the last year or two I've occasionally had a problem when trying to import photos from both my iPhone and iPad to my Windows 10 laptop. The Photos app appears and loads all the photos on the device. No photos are selected so I go to the drop-down menu in the top left-hand corner of the import window. I choose "Items since last import," which for some reason causes the entire Photos app to freeze. It hasn't always done this. I have done nothing to try to fix this because I don't know what to do. Is there a way to keep it from freezing when making this simple selection?

:)

CountryGirl2011, Jul 12, 2020
  2. Ruz San Win User

importing photos

Thank you for clearing that out. It looks like you are importing the files using the Photos app. When you import photos using this app, the files get imported into your Pictures library. To view these files, refer to these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the list of folders on the left side of the window, click on Pictures. You shall see the photos imported from the SD card using the Photos app.

Another option you have is to import the files solely using File Explorer. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect the SD card into the computer.
    • Launch File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Locate your SD card under Devices and drives.
    • Double-click on the SD card.
    • Manually choose which photos to move into your local folders. Right-click on each photo and choose
      Copy (Ctrl + C) then go to the destination folder then right-click on an empty space in the window and select
      Paste (Ctrl + V).
    • If you are importing all the photos, you can press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all of the files. Copy then Paste them into the destination folder.
    • If you are importing selective photos, hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the photos you want to copy. This will let you choose a number of photos instead of selecting all of them like what Step 7 suggests.

Once you're able to get the hang of the tricks, importing photos will not be a challenge anymore.

Tell us which method works best for you.

We're here if you need more help.

Ruz San, Jul 12, 2020
  3. philc43 Win User
    Change default photo import program

There are two stages to this:

1. Change your default program for photos to Lightroom.
    2. Choose what happens when you insert media.

For 1 you need to go to Settings -> System -> Default Apps and on the Photos icon choose your default program as Lightroom

For 2 you need to go Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Autoplay and Choose what happens when you insert each type of media.

Make sure that for Camera memory cards - import photos and videos is selected.

Photos app freezes when I try to change the import selection type when importing photos... [​IMG]

philc43, Jul 12, 2020
  4. Photos app freezes when I try to change the import selection type when importing photos...

Automatic import of photos when connecting a camera

When connected to Win 7, a simple window was opened where, with the push of a button, all new photos were imported.
    In Win 10 You have to open a folder, click on the device, select the import.
    How is it possible and is it possible to make it automatic? Do not need the bells and whistles. To simply import all new photos from the device into the same folder? Can you write a * .bat for these purposes and a task manager?
    I really was tortured. I repeat these simple steps 50 times a day. It takes a lot of time.
    What is in Win 10 is not very convenient.
    Sorry, I use a translator.

Владимир Синягин, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

Photos app freezes when I try to change the import selection type when importing photos...

1. Photos app freezes when I try to change the import selection type when importing photos... - Similar Threads - Photos app freezes

2. Fix Photos app keeps failing or freezing when importing photos

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Photos app keeps failing or freezing when importing photos: [ATTACH]Photos is a great app from Microsoft that lets users manage photos and videos on their Windows 11/10 computers. In addition to managing images and videos, Photos also lets users edit images and create videos. It also has an option to import images and videos from the...
  3. Photo app does not scroll when trying to import photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo app does not scroll when trying to import photos: I can only see the first 10 photos. I want to be able to scroll down so that I can select photos to import. There is no scroll bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-does-not-scroll-when-trying-to-import/0fc08875-fa5f-4062-92e4-c17b3009ad17
  4. Computer Freezing When Importing/Exporting Photos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Freezing When Importing/Exporting Photos: This problem originated in Lightroom, but was reproduced in Capture One as well. When importing or exporting photos, computer would freeze - everything is unresponsive - and to reboot, I have to cut the power switch on the power supply. Computer boots back up perfectly fine...
  5. Photo Import Crashes When Trying To Find Last Import Media

Photo Import Crashes When Trying To Find Last Import Media: I'm not sure which recent update caused this but now almost every time I try set the Photos app to import the media based on "Items Last Imported", it hangs and crashes. I searched online and many people had a similar issue sometime ago that was fixed by uninstalling and...
  6. Photos App Freeze during IPhone Photo Import

Photos App Freeze during IPhone Photo Import: Every time I attempt to import photos from IPhone X with Windows Photos App, it begins the "Looking for new photos and videos" screen, reaches the total number of photos and videos, then freezes. I have current version of windows, current version of IPhone software, the app...
  7. Microsoft Photos App crashes when I try to import a video

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Photos App crashes when I try to import a video: Hi, I've been using the Photos app to import videos from my camera. The camera I'm using is a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. I've successfully imported many videos before I use USB connection, but for some reason, there's this one video I need to import that doesn't work. Whenever I...
  8. Photos App crashes when importing photos

Photos App crashes when importing photos: I recently got a new PC and when i am trying to import my photos from my Iphone Xs max, the app freezes to '3081 items found so far" and all i want are my photos on my pc. Can someone please help...
  9. Photos Application Hangs When Importing The Photos.

Photos Application Hangs When Importing The Photos.: In the last few months I have not been able to use the automatic import function in the Photos app, as it hangs shortly after the import window opens and starts filling it with photos from my source. Using an SD card directly into my Surface Book2, or connecting my Nikon...
  10. When importing photos I can no longer select folder

in Windows 10 Support
    When importing photos I can no longer select folder: When importing photos I turn on camera (iphone 6s) and comp. Connect them. The Photos app goes through the photos and finds those not already imported. Finds them, asks 'continue' or 'cancel'. I choose continue. Then another screen pops up, tells where they'll be or if I'll...