Windows 10: Photos app not working

Discus and support Photos app not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I noticed the photos app got an update in the last day or so. Whilst it works fine on my user account my wife and son's user account it refuses to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Scottyboy99, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Photos app not working

I noticed the photos app got an update in the last day or so. Whilst it works fine on my user account my wife and son's user account it refuses to launch. Just does nothing. Is there an easy way to fix without that risky powershell cmd making things worse?

:)

Scottyboy99, Feb 5, 2016
  2. DougDix Win User

Photos app not working

I keep receiving this message after I try to open the "Photos" app. The photos open fine in other apps but when I use this one it reads "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the
    item"

DougDix, Feb 5, 2016
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Photos app not working

Thank you for the additional information on this matter. Kindly run the
    Windows App troubleshooter and check if there are any changes.

If the issue persists, kindly perform these troubleshooting to troubleshoot and to further isolate this matter:

Update your drivers.

To know how to update your drivers, click
    here.

Run SFC Scan.  

SFC
    will
    scan
    and
    run
    an
    automatic repair
    to any
    corrupted system files
    that it will detect. We suggest that you perform it thrice. To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Run DISM Tool.  

DISM Tool
    will repair any corrupted system image files or the
    system files
    using
    Windows Update.

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel.

Kindly provide us the return message so that we can investigate this matter thoroughly.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 5, 2016
  4. Photos app not working

Is there another photos app out there that supports the live tiles? It's funny as the live tile on the other user accounts works, you can see the photos changing. It just won't launch! I went into store under their accounts. Even though photos is installed it had the 'free' box, as if it wasn't installed. So I clicked it, it downloaded, acquired license etc but it still didn't work after that.

EDIT

I gave up on the photos app. It works in my account. Maybe a future update to windows or to the app itself will get it working again. In meantime I downloaded for the other users 'Gallery HD' which does much the same as the native app except I cannot find an option to allow for printing. In any case I downloaded Picasa desktop app which gives all that functionality. So I guess I'll just forget the native app.

The MS store is flakey when it comes to updating native apps. It's pretty Russian roulette. I don't know what it does but it obviously tries to update for all user accounts and is prone to breaking. Seems your reasonably safe on your own user account. Although I do notice the native apps sometimes have trouble updating. I found a few of them stuck not downloading and had to cancel the downloads and then try them manually again where upon they worked. Camera, People were another couple of apps done in last day or two. They got stuck too but luckily when they installed their functionality was ok in the other user accounts. So god knows what happened to photos. MS should make it easy to uninstall a native app just like the non native apps so you have the opportunity to try and redownload it again. Pretty frustrating

Scottyboy99, Feb 5, 2016
  5. So I created an additional user account as a test and the photos app worked fine. So the problem is user account specific. Just thought I'd add that. If anyone has any pearls of wisdom let me know - unfortunately I don't trust the powershell related fixes having read some horror stories relating to these!

of course I could delete those user accounts and create new ones but I am fed up with doing that and having to get them all back setup. I have had to do it before due to another store related issue. And of course I don't think it's going to be the last time as I can see the issue occurring again. It boils down to the fact that MS needs to provide an easy way to uninstall/reinstall native apps like photos and to be able to do it easily at user account level without disrupting other accounts

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Photos app not working

1. Photos app not working - Similar Threads - Photos app working

2. photo app not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photo app not working: I have my photo app open however it is not showing any of my files or pictures. All is black and even when i relaunch it, it still the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-not-working/20d8f6e7-7e2c-4cf0-9be0-ae36cbac5e98
  3. photo app not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    photo app not working: I have my photo app open however it is not showing any of my files or pictures. All is black and even when i relaunch it, it still the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-not-working/20d8f6e7-7e2c-4cf0-9be0-ae36cbac5e98
  4. photos app not working

photos app not working: Hi, "PHOTOS" app IS ON MY WINDOWS 10 Taskbar. It doesn't work. Whenever i try opening a JPEG file it shows an error "file system error-2147219196". I have tried uninstalling using PowershellAdministrator but no use. Attempts to download the app from MS Store says "you...
  5. Photos app not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos app not working: I have an HP laptop with windows 10. Very new laptop. Every time I try to double click a photo it opens the photos app but blank screen. After I close it the photo doesn't open again and only after a while it opens. This has been very frustrating, any fix? submitted by...
  6. Photos App Not Working

Photos App Not Working: So I have Googled, and I have searched here. I have found and tried all the things that say: "Reset" or "Repair" the app in Settings "Run the Troubleshooter" "Uninstall and re-install" the app. At the end of the day, none of that works. The photos app is as...
  7. Photos app not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos app not working: submitted by /u/nancy7997 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ig4fus/photos_app_not_working/
  8. Photos App Not Working

Photos App Not Working: My pictures will not open. I get an error message that says the jpg file cannot be found. I've tried to reset, repair, and update but nothing works. I even tried to download from the Microsoft store but still no resolution. I see on forums that others have the same...
  9. Photos App Not Working

Photos App Not Working: windows 10 photos app does not Open. I have followed all the methods like 1) sfc\scannow 2)powershell get-appxpackage 3)reset apps 4) Changed the user account 5) Re-installed Windows and almost every other thing that I found on forums but still it is not working....
  10. Photo App is Not Working

Photo App is Not Working: Why does the Photo App keep crashing? I have attempted to fix and repair through settings with no luck. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-is-not-working/9bd3fe01-f602-4b8e-aed5-437739ef1341