Windows 10: Photos app: OneDrive storage indicator "couldn't connect..."

Discus and support Photos app: OneDrive storage indicator "couldn't connect..." in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In Photos app Settings, the section for OneDrive includes an indicator bar with a caption "You're using 68.5 GB of 1 TB on OneDrive" (or whatever) but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Michael_A_P, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Photos app: OneDrive storage indicator "couldn't connect..."

In Photos app Settings, the section for OneDrive includes an indicator bar with a caption "You're using 68.5 GB of 1 TB on OneDrive" (or whatever) but (on a couple of devices) below this bar is a message "Last updated 5 days ago" with a clickable "Refresh". Clicking shows moving dots with the message "Checking your storage on OneDrive..." then, after a couple of seconds "We couldn't connect to OneDrive." with a clickable "Try again" - which just produces the same result. After another few seconds, the "Last updated 5 days ago" message reappears. Different times, up to "over a month ago", show up on different machines, but one device shows an apparently up-to-date indication. Meanwhile, Photos is correctly syncing images from OneDrive on all the affected devices (i.e. Photos is actually connecting to OneDrive), and the OneDrive app is also correctly synchronised. Does anyone have any idea of what is actually going on and why the refresh on demand for this feature is so reluctant? - Thanks...

:)

Michael_A_P, Jul 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 16, 2018
  3. Frick Win User
    Cloud storage (aka Onedrive will suck so need to find something else)

So, I will have to move away from Onedrive, which is sad because it's frankly the best free cloud storage I know of. But as someone said: "Microsoft realized they accidentaly made a great service." and they'll change it so that starting soon this will happen (the things that affect me anyway):
    • 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in early 2016.
    • Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.
    This is so much crap. I use the free version and yeah $1.99/month I probably could afford, but it still SUCKS. Seriously, I usually don't get the MS hate, but this is a poop-poop move.

So I need something new.

Dropbox is out. Too tiny. Google Drive might be an alternative, but I'd rather not, for ... reasons I can't remember right now.

What I need:
    • something like 15GB storage or so.
    • Automatic photo uploading from my phone (Android)
    • Preferably an actual app for Android (yes I know you can setup ES File Explorer and the like but that's usually pretty cumbersome)
    The simplest solution I'm actually leaning towards is just to give up and get a 100GB plan now (current 100/200GB plans will not be affected, in the future they won't be avaliable to new customers), but that's the easy way out. *Frown Photos app: OneDrive storage indicator "couldn't connect..." :(

Frick, Jul 16, 2018
  4. Photos app: OneDrive storage indicator "couldn't connect..."

WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 16, 2018
Thema:

Photos app: OneDrive storage indicator "couldn't connect..."

1. Photos app: OneDrive storage indicator "couldn't connect..." - Similar Threads - Photos app OneDrive

2. Microsoft Photos App Storage usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Photos App Storage usage: My Microsoft Photos App is the largest storage using App I have and I want to stop it being so. How can I reduce storage usage by Microsoft Photos? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-app-storage-usage/0eff71b6-c140-48cf-9cd5-62e3368a9e4d
  3. Preventing duplicate photos appearing in OneDrive cloud storage

Preventing duplicate photos appearing in OneDrive cloud storage: Hi Folks, I've got this problem ^, duplicate photos have been appearing in my OneDrive cloud storage for a while now, often several of the same, not just one. I've done a bit of searching for how to fix this, but the simple solution here didn't work. I'd really like to stop...
  4. onedrive storage.

onedrive storage.: hello, I was wondering if it is possible to save/download or import games to the one drive on my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-storage/66222e50-7c22-486b-b785-eb972a4dd9b4"
  5. app connection to onedrive

app connection to onedrive: Hi, My book bazaar reader is not syncing or connecting to cloud . can anyone help ***Moved from Windows 10 / Windows Settings*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-connection-to-onedrive/c9fce0ce-f396-4901-b689-6d7189848c15"
  6. app connection to onedrive

in Windows 10 Customization
    app connection to onedrive: Hi, My book bazaar reader is not syncing or connecting to cloud . can anyone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-connection-to-onedrive/c9fce0ce-f396-4901-b689-6d7189848c15
  7. "Connect" app ... Couldn't connect?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Connect" app ... Couldn't connect?: Hello, I have a new Dell XPS 15 9570 and just got a new free Surface pro from a SANS class I was hoping to use as a portable monitor for my laptop. I can "Connect" or project (extend desktop) from my Surface to my laptop but that is backwards from what I want. When I try...
  8. Windows 10 Photos app 'couldn't connect to OneDrive"

Windows 10 Photos app 'couldn't connect to OneDrive": Any ideas? I'm signed in w my Windows ID. Can access OneDrive from elsewhere on this PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/windows-10-photos-app-couldnt-connect-to-onedrive/b00bdea8-37d5-426d-bb7f-4d1bf92deed1
  9. Windows 10 Connect App - Couldn't Connect?

Windows 10 Connect App - Couldn't Connect?: Hello, I am trying to use the new Windows 10 Connect App. I have a Window 10 PC and tablet, both on the latest AU build. I also have a phone with Window 10 Mobile. On the PC, I connect to my Wifi network, ensure settings are setup (Settings-System-Projecting to this...
  10. App Store Couldn't Connect to the Server?

App Store Couldn't Connect to the Server?: [img] I've tried to re-register the app store but to no avail. 57120