Windows 10: Photos App opens with black screen

Discus and support Photos App opens with black screen in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Good day I am experiencing a problem where the Windows 10 photos application is opening black images and this started a couple of weeks ago. The files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Vusie Moyo, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Photos App opens with black screen

Good day I am experiencing a problem where the Windows 10 photos application is opening black images and this started a couple of weeks ago. The files can be opened on a different machine and I can also open the files using IrfanView on the same PC Dell Vostro 3500 with Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042.I have also tried running sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and reset windows 10 but the issue still persists.May someone kindly assist in resolving this issue as the preferred photo viewer is Windows Photos applications?

:)

Vusie Moyo, Jul 27, 2021

2. Photos - black screen

Photos opens as black screen, uninstall option grayed out. Tried repair ;and troubleshooter just tired loading for a couple of hours. It is not listed in store apps.

Has it been discontinued? is there a replacement.

If I open a photo, that opens the app and I have imported the latest photos taken.

Regard

Martin Nicol

MartinNicol, Jul 27, 2021
  3. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Jul 27, 2021
  4. R0SIE Win User

Photos App opens with black screen

Photos app won't open

Unfortunately my issue wasn't resolved through those steps.

I still get the error message "The app didn't start." No error code is listed though. The app attempts to start, the black Photo screen starts, then closes, followed by the error message.

Am I able to delete and then reinstall the app?

R0SIE, Jul 27, 2021
Thema:

Photos App opens with black screen

1. Photos App opens with black screen - Similar Threads - Photos App opens

2. Temporary Black Screen After Opening an App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporary Black Screen After Opening an App: So just recently I have been having an "issue" where when I open an app like a video game, there is a sudden black screen for 1-3 seconds, but then the screen resumes to the app. I wouldn't consider it an issue, as it is not something where my screen stays black, it is just...
  3. Temporary Black Screen After Opening an App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temporary Black Screen After Opening an App: So just recently I have been having an "issue" where when I open an app like a video game, there is a sudden black screen for 1-3 seconds, but then the screen resumes to the app. I wouldn't consider it an issue, as it is not something where my screen stays black, it is just...
  4. Photo app will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo app will not open: microsoft photo app will not open, it seem to take a long time for the a;; the pps to open i saw a post to install fall creator update so I did and it opened one time need help...
  5. Photo app will not open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Photo app will not open: microsoft photo app will not open, it seem to take a long time for the a;; the pps to open i saw a post to install fall creator update so I did and it opened one time need help...
  6. Photos app and Video Editor app are not working. (Issue - When I open the apps black screen...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos app and Video Editor app are not working. (Issue - When I open the apps black screen...: [ATTACH] This issue started randomly about 5 days ago. I tried to fix but could not find a solution. So I using ASUS Recovery on my laptop I reset my laptop. The Photos app worked and then after updating Windows and Microsoft Store apps it stopped working. So I reset...
  7. Photos App crashes, takes forever to load, and often opens to a black screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Photos App crashes, takes forever to load, and often opens to a black screen.: As the subject says; the Photos app often takes a very long time to open even small .jpg files no larger than a few hundred kilobytes, and frequently the Photos app simply opens to a blank black screen. I thought I found a solution to this by just opening an instance of the...
  8. Windows 10 photo app black screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 photo app black screen: If I open a photo from windows explorer, exit out and open another photo. Do this around 3-10 times, the next time the app opens will be a black screen. I'd have to click the x, wait a few seconds before I can open another photo up again. Then the cycle repeats. Is this...
  9. Photos App opens with blank / black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App opens with blank / black screen: Photos App open with blank / black screen. Just started recently and is sporadic. I have re-installed, still does it, and it is sporadic .. not clear if its associated w/ file size, type, or whatever. The app open with a black screen I have dark mode on. I have to close and...
  10. Photos - black screen

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Photos - black screen: Photos opens as black screen, uninstall option grayed out. Tried repair ;and troubleshooter just tired loading for a couple of hours. It is not listed in store apps. Has it been discontinued? is there a replacement. If I open a photo, that opens the app and I have imported...