Windows 10: Photos App: Shows thumbnail of an image I deleted from OneDrive. Delete results in "Can't...

Discus and support Photos App: Shows thumbnail of an image I deleted from OneDrive. Delete results in "Can't... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just spent 20 hours importing and indexing my photo collection into the Photos app and OneDrive. Now I am trying to clean it up and organize it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AdamDrewNC, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Photos App: Shows thumbnail of an image I deleted from OneDrive. Delete results in "Can't...

I just spent 20 hours importing and indexing my photo collection into the Photos app and OneDrive. Now I am trying to clean it up and organize it. Things were going great and then I hit a problem that is driving me nuts.

There was a photo in my library that I deleted on OneDrive. I have verified it is gone on the OneDrive site and on my computer. It isn't anywhere. There are no copies of it. It isn't in recycling. It is completely and totally gone.

In Photos, however, the picture is still in Collection. I tried deleting it and I get the "Can't Delete" error that claims its a permissions or open file or something. When you click on the image it only displays the thumbnail blown up - the actual image is gone. When you look at the File Info in Photos it claims it is on OneDrive online only.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Delete the image in Photos a bunch of times
    2. Quadruple checked that the file is gone on my PC and on the OneDrive site
    3. Tried rebooting 3 or 4 times
    4. Tried disabling Online Only Content in Photos, resynching, closing, rebooting, opening Photos and turning back Online Only Content

Nothing works. Photos thinks the photo is there and wont let me delete it.

The only thing that "Worked" is that when I turn off Online Only Content the image disappears from Collection. So, it thinks it is on OneDrive but not on my PC. That's at least a hint of where the problem is. But, I can't leave it like that because I JUST spent hours creating online Albums, so I don't want to lose access to them.

Please help. This photo organization project has been a huge task and I was making great progress. This threatens to sink the whole effort.

I'm looking for help but I'd really, really, really like to avoid having to reindex my photos. It took all day and overnight to index before and I spent so much time tagging people and stuff, I don't want to go through that again.

:)

AdamDrewNC, Nov 17, 2019
  2. Clavius Win User

Preview Pane for Images/Some Thumbnails/Photos not Working Only on OneDrive Folder

The preview pane and thumbnails as well as the Photos app are not working, but only on my OneDrive folder. It works fine on an exact copy of the same files that are not in the OneDrive synced folder structure (and known to Windows as being OneDrive).

• Open OneDrive Folder, navigate to photos directory
    • Sony Raw images (.ARW) do not show thumbnails. (I have the Sony plug in installed)
    • Double click on a raw file, Photos says "We can't open this file."
    • Click on a jpeg file, and with preview window turned on, no preview appears
    • Double click on jpeg file, opens fine in Photos, and then the preview window image appears

• Navigate to a directory that is not synced to OneDrive
    • Sony Raw thumbnails show up fine. They also show up in the preview window.
    • Double click on Raw file and Photos opens it up without problems

• Back to OneDrive photo directory
    • Copy raw file to desktop
    • Immediately the thumbnail appears and the file can be opened with Photos. The same file that it can't open from Explorer in the OneDrive directory

This is only happening on my desktop. My laptop is fine. Both same versions of Windows 10 Version 1709 OS Build 16299.19

Clavius, Nov 17, 2019
  3. Deleting photos in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

- Are you using Photo app or other app?

If you are referring to Photo app, follow the below steps and check.

[*]1. In the Photos app, go to the folder with the files you want to delete.
    [*]2. Do one of the following:

• If you’re looking at your list of photos and videos, swipe down on or right-click the files you want to delete. You can also tap or click
      Select all.
    • If you open a photo or video, swipe up from the bottom or right-click to see the app commands.

3. Tap or click
    Delete.

You can also delete photos using the Camera app, the OneDrive app, or File Explorer.

The above steps are the only way to delete the photos.

If you are referring to a different app or form different location, help us with more information.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Photos App: Shows thumbnail of an image I deleted from OneDrive. Delete results in "Can't...

Windows 10 won't show photo thumbnails or delete photos

Since the last update my windows 10 won't show the thumbnails. I tried to delete some of the photos and they won't delete either.

starwood2000, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Photos App: Shows thumbnail of an image I deleted from OneDrive. Delete results in "Can't...

1. Photos App: Shows thumbnail of an image I deleted from OneDrive. Delete results in "Can't... - Similar Threads - Photos App Shows

2. Onedrive images not showing on Photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive images not showing on Photos app: Hi! I have a very strange problem with the Photos app. I want it to show my images like the old Photos app did but, it just gives me the fallowing message:Get an app to open this ''odopen'' linkYour PC does not have an application that can open this link. Try searching for a...
  3. Onedrive images not showing on Photos app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive images not showing on Photos app: Hi! I have a very strange problem with the Photos app. I want it to show my images like the old Photos app did but, it just gives me the fallowing message:Get an app to open this ''odopen'' linkYour PC does not have an application that can open this link. Try searching for a...
  4. Photos not deleted from when deleted in photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos not deleted from when deleted in photos app: After the last Windows Update; the pernicious annoying bug in Windows 11 is back.You can delete a photo over and over but when viewing with Microsoft Photos; the image displays again and prevents scrolling through images in a subdirectory.This bug has been fixed by a windows...
  5. Photos not deleted from when deleted in photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos not deleted from when deleted in photos app: I was used to using Microsoft Photo and Video to sort all pictures made with different cell phones in the household. Now, I moved to Windows 11 and I have to use Microsoft Photos. Not an issue. However, if I navigate through pictures that are on another computer and I delete...
  6. Photos not deleted from when deleted in photos app

Photos not deleted from when deleted in photos app: I was used to using Microsoft Photo and Video to sort all pictures made with different cell phones in the household. Now, I moved to Windows 11 and I have to use Microsoft Photos. Not an issue. However, if I navigate through pictures that are on another computer and I delete...
  7. Photos deleted from gallery, deleted on Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos deleted from gallery, deleted on Onedrive: I'm using: OneDrive, Microsoft 10, Office 365, Android Phone Samsung S8I have my photo gallery on my phone synced to my Onedrive. After syncing my albums I toggled one OFF so that I could delete it from my phone but keep the photos on my Onedrive. When I deleted the album...
  8. Photos deleted from gallery, deleted on Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos deleted from gallery, deleted on Onedrive: I'm using: OneDrive, Microsoft 10, Office 365, Android Phone Samsung S8I have my photo gallery on my phone synced to my Onedrive. After syncing my albums I toggled one OFF so that I could delete it from my phone but keep the photos on my Onedrive. When I deleted the album...
  9. Photos deleted from gallery, deleted on Onedrive

10. Thumbnails not showing image in Photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails not showing image in Photos: I am new to Windows 10 and I'm not sure what I've done, but all of the thumbnails for all my photos look like the Photos icon. The one that has a blue background and looks like a couple little mountains. How do I get then to show the photo image again?...