Windows 10: Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10

Discus and support Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Because Microsoft Photos App Image Viewer will open images sorted by "height" I am using it to evaluate many thousands of .jpg and .png image files as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by VHarris, Oct 27, 2019.

1. VHarris Win User

Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10

Because Microsoft Photos App Image Viewer will open images sorted by "height" I am using it to evaluate many thousands of .jpg and .png image files as to whether I want to keep them or delete them. Normally I would "tag" the files I want to keep then delete the other, non-tagged files. But since MS Photos App does not support tagging, I am immediately deleting the files I don't want to keep.

The problem is that when I delete the file, Photos App takes between 1 and 2 seconds to delete that image and load the next image. I have a fast SSD hard drive and fast processor. When I just scroll through the images, they transition lightning fast. All the other features on Photos App are also very fast. Only when I delete an image (by pressing the keyboard "delete" key) is there this delay.

I thought that the delay might be that Windows Explorer was busy re-indexing the files in the folder so I used the Indexing Options / Include Locations to Exclude the folder where the files are located. That did not seem to help much.

Next I used the Indexing Options / Advanced / file types / extension and unchecked the .jpg, .jpeg, and .png file types. This also did not seem to make much difference.

If possible I would like to eliminate the delay between pressing the "delete" key and the time the next image is displayed in Photos App. Does anyone know what Photos App is busy doing after pressing the "delete" key that causes this delay before loading the next image? And any suggestion as to what else can be done to minimize this delay time?

Thanks

:)

VHarris, Oct 27, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Photo app in Windows 10 is extremely slow

Rebuilding the search index in your computer may help speed-up the loading of photos in the app. The search index is like a directory of files and media in your computer. Follow the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type Indexing Options, and click on Indexing Options from the results.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Under Troubleshooting, click Rebuild.

We also suggest that you download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows Update and check if it helps resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, you may reinstall the Photos app. For steps on how to uninstall and reinstall the Photos app, follow the steps provided by Anil Madishetty on this thread:

Why won't my Photos app load on Windows 10

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gino Des, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10

File Explorer Crashes and unable to access Photo App

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you while accessing the photos from Photo App, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to copy the photos files to a different location and try to upload it as a profile picture on Outlook account and check if you are able to do it.

If the issue still persist, suggest you to troubleshoot the Photo App.

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If the issue persists then follow the below method:

Method 2: I would recommend you to uninstall the Photo app
    using Windows PowerShell command and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in
      the search bar.

• Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.

• Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.
    • get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage
    After performing the above steps, install the Photo app from the Windows store.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Photos app for Windows help.

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10

1. Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Photos App Speedup

2. Problem with File Indexing File explorer on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with File Indexing File explorer on Windows 11: Hi to the experts here,I have a couple of problems-1 I am trying to click on "Properties" of the 3 dots menu of File Explorer to be able to conduct Option 4 "ALLOW FILE INDEXING" of the following link but, unfortunately, it's disable on my...
  3. Indexing Options File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing Options File Explorer: Hi Everybody, I'm having a problem with the "Indexing Options/Advanced/File Types". Namely that this screen is blank. There are no files listed. I've tried reindexing, troubleshooting, sfc, Dism, restoring to a previous state etc, all to no avail. There are just no files...
  4. Indexing Options File Explorer

Indexing Options File Explorer: Hi Everybody, I'm having a problem with the "Indexing Options/Advanced/File Types". Namely that this screen is blank. There are no files listed. I've tried reindexing, troubleshooting, sfc, Dism, restoring to a previous state etc, all to no avail. There are just no files...
  5. Indexing Options File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows Photos App - Indexing HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Photos App - Indexing HDD: When I start Windows Photo APP it indexes the photos on my PC for about 15-20minuites. If I try to scroll through photos in the APP as the indexing is going on and enlarge a photo to edit it I get a 'thumbnail' type view until Windows catches up. My PC is a i7 - 4970K,...
  7. Windows 10 Photos not indexing new photos

Windows 10 Photos not indexing new photos: Hello, I have more or less the same problem as posted on this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-seems-to-have-stopped-indexing/c50cd30d-f8ce-49cb-8bc1-7b6ede55cde2 thread, and it was closed without any proper solution, which I think is...
  8. Photos App Speedup ; Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10 Photos App

Photos App Speedup ; Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10 Photos App: Because Microsoft Photos App Image Viewer will open images sorted by "height" I am using it to evaluate many thousands of .jpg and .png image files as to whether I want to keep them or delete them. Normally I would "tag" the files I want to keep then delete the other,...
  9. Photos app, and or file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos app, and or file explorer: This drive me crazy and I have always been pretty good with the computer. This one has me beat though. If I take a photo at 7:59 pm and another one at 8:01pm they will go to different folders on my PC. The one from 7:59 will go to a folder created with that days date. For...
  10. Windows 10 Photo App and File Explorer Pictures

Windows 10 Photo App and File Explorer Pictures: Hi there I am trying to incorporate my older File Explorer Picture Files into albums on the Windows 10 App. Essentially I want to copy the individual folders onto the Photo App but I haven't been able to do this. I've gone to the Import tab and select the folder but it...