Windows 10: Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more??

Discus and support Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more?? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings, I've enjoyed the functionality of the Photos app for allowing me to backup the pics and vids on my phone. It was so easy because Photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TmAkR, Jan 23, 2021.

1. TmAkR Win User

Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more??

Greetings,

I've enjoyed the functionality of the Photos app for allowing me to backup the pics and vids on my phone. It was so easy because Photos would create folders in my Pictures library for the month and year the pics and vids were taken. This helped me maintain my current folder structure in Pictures.

I think since I upgraded to 20H2, that folder creation feature is gone. The pics and vids are simply offloaded in the root Pictures folder, which ends up being a jumbled mess in my library. Has anyone else had this experience? What have you done about it?

My PC runs Win10 v20H2. My phone is an iPhone 11 running iOS 14.3. Thanks for your time.

-TmAkR

:)

TmAkR, Jan 23, 2021
  2. Ruz San Win User

importing photos

Thank you for clearing that out. It looks like you are importing the files using the Photos app. When you import photos using this app, the files get imported into your Pictures library. To view these files, refer to these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the list of folders on the left side of the window, click on Pictures. You shall see the photos imported from the SD card using the Photos app.

Another option you have is to import the files solely using File Explorer. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect the SD card into the computer.
    • Launch File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Locate your SD card under Devices and drives.
    • Double-click on the SD card.
    • Manually choose which photos to move into your local folders. Right-click on each photo and choose
      Copy (Ctrl + C) then go to the destination folder then right-click on an empty space in the window and select
      Paste (Ctrl + V).
    • If you are importing all the photos, you can press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all of the files. Copy then Paste them into the destination folder.
    • If you are importing selective photos, hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the photos you want to copy. This will let you choose a number of photos instead of selecting all of them like what Step 7 suggests.

Once you're able to get the hang of the tricks, importing photos will not be a challenge anymore.

Tell us which method works best for you.

We're here if you need more help.

Ruz San, Jan 23, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Importing into Photo, but want to use my folders

Hi there
    As you used to have a Mac I'd suggest creating a Linux Virtual Machine, install Digicam and you've got everything you need (100% Free) and will also handle RAW files for top end DSLR's too.

digiKam - digiKam

here's a typical screenshot

Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more?? [​IMG]

Sorry about the Linux recommendation here but this really is a very good app and as you were a Mac user this shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 23, 2021
  4. Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more??

Photo App on Windows 10 Improper import location

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

• Did you try connecting the Nikon Coolpix S7000 to another USB port and then try importing the pictures to check if you face similar issue?

I suggest you to check the location settings under
    Photos
    App if it shows Pictures folder. Open Settings from the Start
    and select System. Further click on Storage
    and check if the location under Save location is This PC (CPhotos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more?? :) for all the options.

You may also change the save location for imported Pictures on your computer. Refer the below steps to do so.

1. Open
    File Explorer and navigate to the Libraries\Pictures library.

2. Right click the
    Pictures Library and select Properties.

3. In the Libraries tab, you should see the
    Public Pictures folder that has been added to that library.

4. Left click the Public Pictures and then click the
    Set save location button.

5. All of the pictures you import will be saved to that location.

Note: You can also create Sub-folders in the Public Pictures folder.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more??

1. Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more?? - Similar Threads - Photos App used

2. Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing: Microsoft needs to fix this and return the feature to create date folders as an option, it doesn't make sense to take this away from customers in a windows 10 upgrade very frustrating...
  3. Photo app - import pictures to laptop

Photo app - import pictures to laptop: Photo app - The folders from importing the JPEG files have changed from grouping photos in date order on my older Windows 10 laptop with folder name in numeric date i.e 2020-01-18 to no grouping at all on my new Windows 10 laptop. I have checked settings on Photo app in both...
  4. Cannot import pictures from OneDrive into Folders on photo app

Cannot import pictures from OneDrive into Folders on photo app: Hi everyone! I am fairly new to the Windows 10 photo application and I'm having some issues with organizing my pictures. 1st question: While in the "folders" tab, if I try to create a new folder and import my OneDrive pictures it will show the folders saved to my...
  5. folders no longer created in pictures library in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders no longer created in pictures library in new computer: On my old laptop running Windows 10, when I imported photos from an SD card, they were sorted automatically by 'date taken' into subfolders. I recently updated to a desktop, also running Windows 10, and this functionality seems to have been lost. I copied the existing...
  6. Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing

Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing: I work as a photographer and up until now, when I would import my photos into the photo app, it would automatically create a folder titled with the date and place all the photos from that day in that file. Now, all of the sudden, it's not doing that and it's kind of ruining...
  7. Photos not importing pictures from Pictures Folder

Photos not importing pictures from Pictures Folder: Just Reset Photos because it is not importing pictures from my Pictures Folder but is happily importing them from other folders. Option is to share but how to I get it to import them. It was working a few days ago...
  8. Can't add folders into libraries any more.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't add folders into libraries any more.: [ATTACH] I did format and reinstalled window 10 yesterday. And created some libraries for my favorite folders already like always do after reinstalled. Today, I tried to creat extrea libraries but was not abled to add folders. creat "new library" choose "folder" click...
  9. "Photos" app shows all pictures in selected folders; "Pictures" library shows...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Photos" app shows all pictures in selected folders; "Pictures" library shows...: I want my Pictures library to show me all of my pictures. I assume that's part of the point of the library. When I go into the Library and add my folders, it adds the entire folder and everything in it. On a previous topic, one user suggested clicking "Optimize for...
  10. Unable to import pictures using Photo App from iPhone

Unable to import pictures using Photo App from iPhone: I cannot import pictures because when I click on Import, it informs that "something went wrong" . Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-import-pictures-using-photo-app-from/827bfa21-ce3f-40a7-8066-b424b7ade852"