Windows 10: Photos app vs. Privacy (face recognition)

Discus and support Photos app vs. Privacy (face recognition) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; On Windows 10... What, if any data is uploaded from my PC when my Photos app recognizes faces in my photos? I see that it's auto-recognized faces... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CSharpner2, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Photos app vs. Privacy (face recognition)

On Windows 10...

What, if any data is uploaded from my PC when my Photos app recognizes faces in my photos? I see that it's auto-recognized faces and grouped them together based on recognizing the same people across my photos. I see that it is asking for permission to my contacts for this feature. For a more complete question: What kind of data is EVER uploaded from the photos app (if anything) under ANY circumstances and how do I stop it?

Additionally, I've entered exactly ZERO information into my contacts app because I don't want ANYTHING of mine uploaded without my consent (and I will not be granting consent to upload anything).

Same question for the built-in e-mail app.

Where can I go to get a COMPLETE list of what is uploaded by Windows 10 and its associated apps and instructions on how to stop 100% of it?

And before anyone asks, no, I do NOT log into my Windows 10 machines with my e-mail address. It is not linked (at least, not intentionally) to any online ID. I log in with locally created accounts only. I do not participate in the sharing of desktop configs across machines. And no, I do not log into the Windows store either and I've disabled Cortana (first thing I do when I set up a new W10 PC). I try to stay off Microsoft's grid except for when I need to for specific reasons (like posting this message). I have no problem logging in and participating in online Microsoft activities when they are intentionally consented to by me. I just do NOT want ANYTHING uploaded without my explicit and full-knowledge consent.

Thanks

:)

CSharpner2, Dec 10, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Managing Your Identity on Facebook with Face Recognition Technology

Source: Managing Your Identity on Facebook with Face Recognition Technology | Facebook Newsroom

Brink, Dec 10, 2018
  3. sunberg Win User
    Turn On or Off Face Detection and Recognition in Windows 10 Photos app

This feature seems to be bugged on the latest version. Photos with faces are recognized and listed in the "tag list" under search box, but "People" tab is empty. Tested on another device with exactly the same result...

edit: Well, I figured it out. Gallery must contain at least 3 photos of a person to show up on "People" tab. *Wink

sunberg, Dec 10, 2018
  4. Photos app vs. Privacy (face recognition)

Photos app face recognition and naming people detected

I don't doubt that face recognition, naming and merging works after one or more reinstalls. But did you also check the recognition rate? Before the reset, the app recognized 999 photos with the face of my elder son. But i could not give a name to the photos.
    After several resets, I could give names to the thumbnails, but it recognized only 378 photos of my son (see screenshot on page 3 of this forum). For other persons, the detection rate degraded even more.

Hans-Martin S, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

Photos app vs. Privacy (face recognition)

1. Photos app vs. Privacy (face recognition) - Similar Threads - Photos app Privacy

2. Face Recognition missing in the new Windows 11 Photos app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Face Recognition missing in the new Windows 11 Photos app?: Hi, I have recently updated to Windows 11 and noticed that the "People" tab is missing in the new "Photos" app. Is this on purpose or am I missing something? I am aware that I can install "Photos Legacy" to get the feature back but why has it been removed in the new app?...
  3. Face Recognition missing in the new Windows 11 Photos app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Face Recognition missing in the new Windows 11 Photos app?: Hi, I have recently updated to Windows 11 and noticed that the "People" tab is missing in the new "Photos" app. Is this on purpose or am I missing something? I am aware that I can install "Photos Legacy" to get the feature back but why has it been removed in the new app?...
  4. Microsoft Photos App [Face Recognition Error]

Microsoft Photos App [Face Recognition Error]: The photos app doesn't recognise photos after a particular amount.In my cases. I added a folder containing 961 photos and people section only recognised 509.*These are photos of one single person.There doesn't seems to be a manual way to add related photos under people tab....
  5. face recognition in Microsoft Photo's

face recognition in Microsoft Photo's: Hi I have over 30,000 photos and I am in the process of importing this into Microsoft Photos After a night of waiting, all photos with examples were included in the people folder. Given the large number, I think this is fast These photos include many upgrowing children and...
  6. Disable Face Detection and Recognition in Windows 10 Photos app

in Windows 10 News
    Disable Face Detection and Recognition in Windows 10 Photos app: [ATTACH]The exclusive Photos App on Microsoft’s latest operating system Windows 10 is the default photo-sharing application that allows users to conveniently view all your stored […] This article Disable Face Detection and Recognition in Windows 10 Photos app first appeared...
  7. Photos : How to start the face recognition?

Photos : How to start the face recognition?: Hello, I have questions about the photos application. My environment: Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 19628.1 Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.10601.30.3 I have problems starting the People face search. Sometimes it starts, but very often it does not start. Is there...
  8. Windows 10 Photos app face recognition problems

Windows 10 Photos app face recognition problems: Hello, I already posted my problem on the official Windows forums in April this year but MS staff are apparently not very keen on solving issues and helping their paying customers. They sent one standard response and did not respond further. Box ticked, next, I guess.....
  9. Face recognition not working properly in the windows photos app.

Face recognition not working properly in the windows photos app.: The windows photos app has sorted some of my photos using face recognition but most of them are still unsorted. This feature is very useful and I want it to sort all of my photos this way. Every answer is appreciated....
  10. MS Photo Face Recognition

MS Photo Face Recognition: I recently replaced an old HP PC with a new Dell PC, both run/ran Windows 10. The photos and albums transferred ok but the face recognition feature is not functioning on the new Dell. Is there something I need to do? I don't remember doing anything in particular before, but...