Windows 10: Photos app won't open

Discus and support Photos app won't open in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Photos app won't open. It was fine a couple of days ago. When I click on the picture icon on the start menu I can see my pictures, but I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Debi375, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Debi375 Win User

Photos app won't open

My Photos app won't open. It was fine a couple of days ago. When I click on the picture icon on the start menu I can see my pictures, but I cannot open them. It won't open under another user profile either. I have tried repair, reset and I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, to no avail.

:)

Debi375, Jan 4, 2020

2. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Jan 4, 2020
  3. windows 10 apps won,t open

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Windows app troubleshooter.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 2: Run shell commands for Windows store and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin)
      to open elevated Command prompt.

• Type the following commands.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

• Hit enter, the blackscreen will appear still for a couple of seconds. After a couple of second a new line saying C:\.... will appear.

• Close Command Prompt.

• Try to start the Windows Store again.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jan 4, 2020
  4. Photos app won't open

Unable to open the photos in Photos App

Hello David,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in opening the Photos in Windows. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Are you trying to open the photos in Photo App?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you try to open the photos?
    • Do you have the copy of those photos and are you able to open those photos?
    Please post to us with the information above to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

Photos app won't open

1. Photos app won't open - Similar Threads - Photos app won't

2. Photos App Won't Open Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App Won't Open Windows 10: I have read the threads on this error and still I cannot open Photos in WIN 10. I have updated WIN 10, I have re-installed WIN 10, I have removed and reinstalled Photos app, I have repaired and re-set this app and still it will not run. I recently recieved a WIN 10 update I...
  3. Photos App Won't Open Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos App Won't Open Windows 10: I have read the threads on this error and still I cannot open Photos in WIN 10. I have updated WIN 10, I have re-installed WIN 10, I have removed and reinstalled Photos app, I have repaired and re-set this app and still it will not run. I recently recieved a WIN 10 update I...
  4. Photo app won't open JPEG files

Photo app won't open JPEG files: I am trying to open JPEG files in the photo app and I get an error message that this file format is not supported. How do I fix that? Same thing happens with photoviewer or photo gallery...
  5. Microsoft Photos App won't open

Microsoft Photos App won't open: Hallo everybody! I experienced some problem with my laptop. Every time I tried to open the Microsoft Photos App it won't open. I am aware that all my photos are safe in my computer but the use of the app was very friendly and easy to manage and I really would like to have...
  6. pctures won't open in photo app.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pctures won't open in photo app.: I click on the picture I want to view, it comes up with the black screen in attempt to load and the a pop up comes up saying the app didn't load. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pctures-wont-open-in-photo-app/40fd9349-f3d2-440c-a2f3-7a11e128f7cb"
  7. Photos and MS Store Apps won't open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Photos and MS Store Apps won't open: After installing the most recent Win 10 updates, I find that I cannot open the Photos app, nor can I get Microsoft Store to open. When trying to open Photos I get a blue dialog box with the message "This app can't open". I've tried to repair and reset this app with no...
  8. Why won't my photos app open?

Why won't my photos app open?: I have tried, uninstalling and reinstalling. I have tried repair and reset. I have no pending updates. Every time I try to open a photo, I get the message saying "app won't start"...
  9. Photos App won't open anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos App won't open anymore: A few days ago, I was cleaning out my storage using the built-in storage cleaner on my Surface Pro 5 but ever since I did that, Photos has just stopped working. Whenever I tried to open a picture, I get an error message saying "The app didn't start". I've tried all the...
  10. Photo apps won't open photo files

Photo apps won't open photo files: Out of the blue I can no longer open photo files like PNG, JPG, etc. and don't know when this started. I can select open with Windows Photo Viewer and it will open fine but if I close that file and reopen again I get an error "The app didn't start". Nor can I open any other...