Windows 10: Photos 'replacing' themselves

Discus and support Photos 'replacing' themselves in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have asked this question before, but I'm unable to receive an answer, yet. I am running Windows 10 on an HP Slim Desktop series 290. I notice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ElginLewis, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Photos 'replacing' themselves

I have asked this question before, but I'm unable to receive an answer, yet.

I am running Windows 10 on an HP Slim Desktop series 290.

I notice that the pictures that I am saving in the Pictures folder suddenly get 'replaced' by some other file on my computer. When I go to view the pictures in question, they no longer exist. They have been replaced by another file on my computer.

The replacements seem to be random.

The pictures being replaced seem to be random.

Does ANYONE have thoughts, suggestions, solutions?

Thank you for your replies, in advance.

:)

ElginLewis, Dec 7, 2018
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Photos 'replacing' themselves :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Taras Win User
    Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows Photo Viewer is unavailable.

The saga is explained in detailed words and colorful pictures here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...2-83ece717ddfb

If that's too tl;dr for you, here are the bullet points:

• Windows Photo Viewer is never listed as an option when using "Open with".
    • "Open with" lets you browse the disk and manually select the desired program. I navigated to "\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" but it contains no program there other than "Imaging Devices" (wrong). Choosing "PhotoViewer.dll" produces an error message.
    • In Control Panel's "Default Program", Windows Photo Viewer is shown to be associated with TIF files and nothing else. Attempts to set JPG to use Windows Photo Viewer fail because, again, its program folder only contains "Imaging Devices" (and the dll).

In an attempt to fix this problem, I used the "nuclear option" and Reset the PC. After Windows 10 (TH1 10240) reinstalled itself, I still couldn't select Windows Photo Viewer to be the default image viewer.

Suggestions to fix this?

Taras, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Photos 'replacing' themselves

Multiple Photos

We suggest that you follow the steps below to delete the photo through Photos app:

• If you’re looking at your list of photos in Photos app, select the photos by clicking on checkbox on the photos you want to delete. Click
      Delete icon at the bottom right corner to delete.
    • If you open a photo, Tap or press Delete
      key from keyboard.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Photos 'replacing' themselves

1. Photos 'replacing' themselves - Similar Threads - Photos 'replacing' themselves

2. jpg. photos replaced with icons.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    jpg. photos replaced with icons.: I keep several folders on my desktop of bird jpg. photos. I use them as a visual library.The past two Saturdays the photos have been replaced with icons. Have been unable to reactivate photos. Have checked File Explorer settings and the option to replace phots with icons is...
  3. Favorites alphabetize themselves.

Favorites alphabetize themselves.: Occasionally my favorites seem to alphabetize themselves. How can I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/favorites-alphabetize-themselves/029d294f-534d-4e6f-af31-d470c24a27c6
  4. Replacement for photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacement for photo viewer: Win ver 19041.388 Just do not like this "new" photo viewer, it is just cumbersome to operate, lot of extra steps etc. I like the older Win photo viewer, however since JPG files are saved as "unhandled Extension handler finder", *Confused I need something else. Appreciate...
  5. Replacing multiple photo with one photo

Replacing multiple photo with one photo: Hi im trying to replace 50 images with one different image but i want to keep the name of the other 50 images. ty. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replacing-multiple-photo-with-one-photo/0b8b110b-da6a-4e79-be8f-c48a268f2f0f
  6. Apps are closing by themselves and deleting themselves afterwards

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps are closing by themselves and deleting themselves afterwards: everything was fine until yesterday. now my apps are closing out of themselves and deleting themselves afterwards. what do i do??? * Original title: help???...
  7. Replacement for Photo Manager for easily tagging photos?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replacement for Photo Manager for easily tagging photos?: I just bought a new Windows 10 computer and cannot find Photo Manager. There's only Photos, which, while pretty, has no where near the organizational power of Photo Manager. I can't search by my tags let alone add new ones in an easy way. Am I missing something? I have...
  8. Replacement for Windows Photo Viewer?

Replacement for Windows Photo Viewer?: I really liked the Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 7... The photo viewer built into Windows 10 is terrible. Anyone know any good replacements? Something light weight. 11585
  9. Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).: I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows Photo Viewer is...
  10. Folders Resetting Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders Resetting Themselves: This just started happening and since a reboot didn't fix it I'm stumped as to what is going on. When I have a folder open with enough files listed that I have to scroll through the list, every now and then, even though I'm still using the list, the folder resets itself to...