Windows 10: Photos will not open HEIC files on Win10, even with HEIF codec installed

Discus and support Photos will not open HEIC files on Win10, even with HEIF codec installed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OS: Newly purchased Windows 10, fully updated I've installed the HEIF Image Extensions from the Microsoft Store and rebooted my machine. When I try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NCS-PNW, Jun 2, 2020.

1. NCS-PNW Win User

Photos will not open HEIC files on Win10, even with HEIF codec installed

I've installed the HEIF Image Extensions from the Microsoft Store and rebooted my machine. When I try to open a file with .heic extension, Photos just says it can't open the file.

Photos will not open HEIC files on Win10, even with HEIF codec installed d10c1fbe-3b22-40d0-b16b-32bf3674efd0?upload=true.png

I'm not interested in any third party software that requires purchase for file conversion, e.g. HEIC Image Viewer - Support Converter.

Is there a Windows-native solution?

:)

NCS-PNW, Jun 2, 2020

2. HEIC file viewing

Hi suedama,

My name is Douglas and I am an Independent Advisor. I would like to help you. Let's try to install the following extension, please:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-ex...

"To open the HEIC image, go to the Windows store link to get the HEIF extension here.

View HEIC & HEVC files on Windows 10 Photos app

Click on the Install button to install the HEIF codec.

It is important to note that, users would be needed to install both HEIF extension as well as HEVC extension to view images and play videos, as, HEIF files with HEIC file extension are compressed using HEVC format. It is mandatory to install both the extension
    and installing a HEIC file extension alone without HEVC extension would fail to view .HEIC files images"

More details here:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/view-heic-hevc-f...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Let me know, please. kinds Regards

DouglasMillar69, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Yojax Win User
    I still can't view HEIC files despite installing Microsoft HEIF Image Extensions from the Microsoft Store

I installed the Microsoft HEIF Image Extensions and the Video extension too from the Microsoft Store, but when I try to open my HEIC photos it comes up with "Download codecs from Microsoft store"...

Is there a fix?

Yojax, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Photos will not open HEIC files on Win10, even with HEIF codec installed

How to open HEIC file in windows desktop

Hi apmehta1955, i'm Timon and i'm glad to help you.

Apple’s iPhone and iPad now take photos in the HEIF image format, and these photos have the .HEIC file extension.

Windows doesn’t natively support HEIC files, but there’s a way to view them anyway.

The HEIC codec are free to obtain at Microsoft Store, so you won't need to pay.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/extensions-di...

Jimmy_Timon, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Photos will not open HEIC files on Win10, even with HEIF codec installed

1. Photos will not open HEIC files on Win10, even with HEIF codec installed - Similar Threads - Photos open HEIC

2. HEIC Files not opening despite both Codecs

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEIC Files not opening despite both Codecs: I have installed Windows 10, downloaded the HEVC and HEIC APPXbundle files, installed using Powershell but I still cannot view HEIC files in File Explorer or in Photos or Photo Viewer. If I install CopyTRANS it works but that isn't free for Business.Are there any other tricks...
  3. HEIC Files not opening despite both Codecs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEIC Files not opening despite both Codecs: I have installed Windows 10, downloaded the HEVC and HEIC APPXbundle files, installed using Powershell but I still cannot view HEIC files in File Explorer or in Photos or Photo Viewer. If I install CopyTRANS it works but that isn't free for Business.Are there any other tricks...
  4. HEIC Files not opening despite both Codecs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Photo app to support HEIC/HEIF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photo app to support HEIC/HEIF: Since ios 11 started to send photo format .heic or .heif High Efficiency Image File, now Windows devices can't open in native photo app which has .heic or .heif extentionEven those these HEIF Image Extensions should be able to open the photo, but getting the messageBoth HEIF...
  6. Microsoft Photo app to support HEIC/HEIF

Microsoft Photo app to support HEIC/HEIF: Since ios 11 started to send photo format .heic or .heif High Efficiency Image File, now Windows devices can't open in native photo app which has .heic or .heif extentionEven those these HEIF Image Extensions should be able to open the photo, but getting the messageBoth HEIF...
  7. Photos can not open .HEIC/HEIF files even the extension is installed

Photos can not open .HEIC/HEIF files even the extension is installed: Hello,I cant open the .heic photos with windows photos app.I downloaded the .HEIF extension from the store.I tried to restart the app several times, under the Settings app. Did not worked.I'm using the latest windows, 20H2 19042.985.What can I do?Thanks in advance....
  8. I cant open .heic files or install .Hevc codec

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cant open .heic files or install .Hevc codec: Hi so after much trawling i have establshed that i need to install both .heic and .hevc extensions to allow me to open and edit photos from my iphone in Photos. Ive installed .heic. Ive set it as the default. Ive restarted the machine. So im now tryin to install .hevc. I...
  9. Cannot Open .HEIC files even with HEIF Installed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot Open .HEIC files even with HEIF Installed: [ATTACH] Not sure if this is the correct place but I have the HEIF image extensions from microsft store installed and I still cannot open HEIC photos. Any fix for this?...
  10. cant open HEIC pics even with M. Store codec installed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant open HEIC pics even with M. Store codec installed: i installed the codec from the microsft store and when i launch it still says impossible to open the file, it say this with all pictures submitted by /u/FederalEngineer [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows photos wont open heif without hevc codec