Windows 10: Photoshop (and Ex Photoshop) users try The GIMP

Discus and support Photoshop (and Ex Photoshop) users try The GIMP in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi folks especially since Photoshop became "subscription" I'd suggest if you want something that has improved beyond all recognition recently, is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Jul 2, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Photoshop (and Ex Photoshop) users try The GIMP

Hi folks

especially since Photoshop became "subscription" I'd suggest if you want something that has improved beyond all recognition recently, is Free, available on Windows and Linux (and Macbooks too I think) have a look at the GIMP.

Has things like layers, filters effects etc etc

While it won't replace a professional photographers need for something like photoshop it will probably suffice for serious amateur "shooters"

I'm quite impressed with recent versions

I'm using it on a Linux VM -- well worth a look at -- and it is downloadable for Windows as well. Same GUI etc.

Photoshop (and Ex Photoshop) users try The GIMP [​IMG]

I still also have the last non subscription version of PS CS6 13.0.1 for comparison but I'm getting very impressed with the GIMP -- also needs a bit of "learning time" too.

(I HATE mobile phone cameras --that's not photography -- those things are just for taking snaps / recording an accident etc etc).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 2, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Photoshop users Good free alternative GIMP

Hi folks

I really dislike this trend of software going Monthly subscription -- it's too easy to end up at the end of each month with zillions of direct debits on Bank etc - hideous way to manage your money actually and expensive too.

Adobe has long since gone Monthly Sub -- but if you are still using a very old version of Photoshop and want something almost equivalent but newer then The GIMP is unbelievably good value for money (FREE) and runs on Windows, Mac, Linux. Any photoshop user should be able to handle this program quite easily. There's not much in Photoshop that this program doesn't have.

GIMP - Downloads

Great program

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Barman58 Win User

As a long time serious user of Photoshop & lightroom The $10 a month for the Photographic Option is the best thing that's happened for me, the user; rather than having to pay hundreds of Dollars for the new package every couple of years you pay a regular small amount that gives you many updates to keep the product current (and ever improving), and for less cost than the previous system over the old upgrade cycle.

Yes if you buy a copy of software and keep it in use long after it's "use by date" the old system works out cheaper but the software industry is too dynamic to make this a viable option to me

Also, of course, Experience with Photoshop is considered a saleable commodity in the job market, which is not true of the competition

Gimp is great for what it is but is not a serious competitor for Photoshop In my professional opinion Photoshop (and Ex Photoshop) users try The GIMP :)

Barman58, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Photoshop (and Ex Photoshop) users try The GIMP

Photoshop is the best thing out there, but all I am using is Paint.Net, I tried The Gimp and found it not much better than Paint.Net if at all.

Josey Wales, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Photoshop (and Ex Photoshop) users try The GIMP

1. Photoshop (and Ex Photoshop) users try The GIMP - Similar Threads - Photoshop Photoshop users

2. Microsoft and Photoshop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft and Photoshop: Why will Microsoft not allow me to set Photoshop as default app for a png file? With my old system--also Windows 10--it was not a problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-and-photoshop/f4b9a298-8ef4-49e0-af7d-969dddf7710e
  3. Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop: Why are Adobe Photoshop or Creative Cloud apps not in the Microsoft store? In order to download photoshop I would have to switch out of S mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adobe-photoshop/91e72686-c622-4007-95de-b6f0a6136063
  4. Photoshop Elements

in Windows 10 Customization
    Photoshop Elements: Hi I have Canon Utilities 3 installed on my windows ten Laptop and also Canon DDP4,Plus I also have Photoshop elements 19 installed.I use Canon Utilities and DDP4 for doing my photos,When I connect my Camera It opened canons utilitys and allows me to download the photos from...
  5. Photoshop

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Photoshop: Hi there What is the best free photo editing programme to download on PC for windows10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photoshop/2eaf05ee-c0d3-494d-9fd1-166c9a83ed50
  6. Photoshop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Photoshop: Does Windows 10 Home Come Included With Photoshop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photoshop/753811be-617e-4435-84b3-467420e2cd0f
  7. Photoshop Elements

Photoshop Elements: Hi, I bought my Photoshop Elements (Order 9177316668) from your shop. It seems that normally it is possible to download two copies of photoshop elements when buying the license (if buying it from adobe directly for example where prices are the same as in your shop). Now...
  8. photoshop

photoshop: One thing I use daily in my hobby is photoshop elements. Its telling me now that unless I have IE 5 or above, some elements will not work. I tried to install IE11 as per a paragraph in a MS site, and I get the message this is not compatible with Win 10. And yet one MS site...
  9. BSOD with Photoshop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD with Photoshop: I've had Photoshop CC 2014 since I've had my laptop (around 6 months), and it worked fine up until around a week ago. I launched it last week, and it opened the loading up screen, and before it was over, I got a BSOD with the error KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE I've...
  10. Photoshop users Good free alternative GIMP

Photoshop users Good free alternative GIMP: Anyone who is either coming from the real art world or wishes to try their hand the electronic version of "Proper" Painting, should take a look at the Artrange range of realistic Painting applications at ArtRage - Natural Painting Software They are often included free with...