Windows 10: Physical power button not working when system locked (user logged in)

Discus and support Physical power button not working when system locked (user logged in) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I set up my system to log in automaticaly, and lock afterwards to run through the complete startup sequence without me having to sit through it all.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/waiting4singularity, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Physical power button not working when system locked (user logged in)

I set up my system to log in automaticaly, and lock afterwards to run through the complete startup sequence without me having to sit through it all.

Problem: Sometimes the GPU isnt properly booting up and the screen is black. The physical power button is unresponsive in this situation, I have to remote connect to reboot from the lock screen or press the physical reset button which i very much dislike - especialy when I see hard disk activity.

submitted by /u/waiting4singularity
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/waiting4singularity, Mar 13, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 13, 2020
  3. SSShadii Win User
    Shutdown using power button from lock screen

My problem is that Windows will not shut the computer down when you press the power button (physical button on the computer, not the button on the log in screen) at the lock screen or log in screen.

Is there a setting or registry I have to change to allow this to function correctly? Basically I have set the computer to turn off when I push the button on the computer in Windows settings, but it doesn't respond when you press it at the lock (or login) screen.
    Thanks for your help.

SSShadii, Mar 13, 2020
  4. bro67 Win User

Physical power button not working when system locked (user logged in)

Shutdown using power button from lock screen

Yes, but that does not properly shutdown the OS. Check Bios and see the link I posted. Only use the physical power button as a last resort if the system is locked up, not to end your session.

bro67, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Physical power button not working when system locked (user logged in)

1. Physical power button not working when system locked (user logged in) - Similar Threads - Physical power button

2. My mouse stops working and doesn’t work until I press the physical power button on the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My mouse stops working and doesn’t work until I press the physical power button on the...: So I use my computer for gaming on and off from 2:30 to 8:00. the computer doesn’t get overheated too much I make sure it doesn’t. I run windows 11 and I have tried using 3 different mice and they all have the same problem. I even checked drivers for all of them everything is...
  3. My mouse stops working and doesn’t work until I press the physical power button on the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My mouse stops working and doesn’t work until I press the physical power button on the...: So I use my computer for gaming on and off from 2:30 to 8:00. the computer doesn’t get overheated too much I make sure it doesn’t. I run windows 11 and I have tried using 3 different mice and they all have the same problem. I even checked drivers for all of them everything is...
  4. Num Lock doesn't work for another user logged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num Lock doesn't work for another user logged in: I have a new PC desktop windows 10. I have one user acc primary account and my son has another. When initially logging in and press the number lock I can type numbers away but when I change to my son account I can't type the numbers I have done several ways : 1. Unplug and...
  5. physical power button stopped wprking

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    physical power button stopped wprking: The physical power button on my Acer Aspire-5 laptop, Windows 10, has stopped working. None of the easy fixes re: messing with the power settings has worked. I have now found that when I go to "Change Advance Power Settings", there is no "Power buttons and lid" option...
  6. Lock session when power button is pressed (tablet)?

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock session when power button is pressed (tablet)?: Hey there, just reinstalled Windows 10 on my tablet and i think before it did lock the session when i pressed power.. Now it doesn't, at all. Couldn't find working tweak/setting for this. Where is it? Must be somewhere! 161749
  7. enabling physical power button on lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    enabling physical power button on lock screen: I find it incredibly annoying that when one of my PCs are locked, I cant just hit the power button and leave. I will frequently try to turn off my desktop computer, late at night when the screens are off, just to realize hours later that it's still on. The only way to shut it...
  8. Power button not working

Power button not working: Hello, I have a custom built pc and when i press the power button outside the os or in the os in the start menu it does not work. But I used to. Mysleep button in the os also just turnd off the display and the motherbordand fan rgbs stay on but they used to turn off. I can...
  9. power button not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power button not working: when I click on the power display on the computer and click shutdown the computer says shutting down. then it says going to sleep and the button on the side goes yellow. But when I press the button in it just switches itself back on and turns blue. I have held the power...
  10. Physical power button doesn't work

Physical power button doesn't work: About two months ago, the physical power button on my Lenovo X1 Tablet (3rd gen) stopped working. It won't put the machine to sleep nor will it wake it up from sleep. I've applied all updates from Lenovo and from Microsoft. I double checked the desired behavior in power...